+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Change in marital status after receiving CoPR and Visa

sndpdeepu

Oct 8, 2017
Hi, I did soft landing in Canada on 16th September and returned back to India on 07th october for my marriage, I have applied for PRTD on 25th October. I have mentioned my Wife's name in Personal information sheet and mentioned marital status as married and informed under Humantrian grounds column as "due to some family reasons and for my marriage " is it enough? And how much time it may take to get my PRTD? I have attached photocopies of COPR, SIN, BANK Account Void Cheque, please help about my query

divyanshu

Mar 21, 2018
Hello everyone, this is my current status - I have the COPR, haven't yet landed in Canada and I am getting married next month. I plan to update the CIC after my marriage so they can add my spouse to my application.
I have gone through a bunch of forums, and from what I understand, for my spouse IELTS and ECA not required as there won't be any recalculation of points if you get married post application submission. Is that right?
I am debating if it will be better for me to make the soft landing in Canada before my marriage or just update the CIC after my marriage so that my spouse can also get the PR?
Can someone please share their experience who went through this process already.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello everyone, this is my current status - I have the COPR, haven't yet landed in Canada and I am getting married next month. I plan to update the CIC after my marriage so they can add my spouse to my application.
I have gone through a bunch of forums, and from what I understand, for my spouse IELTS and ECA not required as there won't be any recalculation of points if you get married post application submission. Is that right?
I am debating if it will be better for me to make the soft landing in Canada before my marriage or just update the CIC after my marriage so that my spouse can also get the PR?
Can someone please share their experience who went through this process already.
It's your choice what you do. If you do a soft landing first and then get married afterwards, you will have to sponsor your spouse for PR. You cannot do this from outside of Canada. You must be living in Canada in order to sponsor your spouse and must continue living in Canada while the application is processed. Processing time is typically 12 months. It's quite possible your spouse may not be granted a TRV to visit you in Canada while the application is being process. So you may have to be separated for most of a year if you pick this option.

divyanshu

Mar 21, 2018
It's your choice what you do. If you do a soft landing first and then get married afterwards, you will have to sponsor your spouse for PR. You cannot do this from outside of Canada. You must be living in Canada in order to sponsor your spouse and must continue living in Canada while the application is processed. Processing time is typically 12 months. It's quite possible your spouse may not be granted a TRV to visit you in Canada while the application is being process. So you may have to be separated for most of a year if you pick this option.
Thanks Scylla, that was my understanding too, and thats why I was thinking to update the CIC after my marriage, and get my spouse added before landing. The only thing I am not sure if if CIC will re-calculate my score or not? If I should schedule an IELTS appointment or not?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks Scylla, that was my understanding too, and thats why I was thinking to update the CIC after my marriage, and get my spouse added before landing. The only thing I am not sure if if CIC will re-calculate my score or not? If I should schedule an IELTS appointment or not?
No - they will not recalculate your score. However there will be an additional 3-4 month wait while they processes your spouse's paperwork (including medical and PCCs).

Reactions: divyanshu

divyanshu

Mar 21, 2018
No - they will not recalculate your score. However there will be an additional 3-4 month wait while they processes your spouse's paperwork (including medical and PCCs).
Makes sense, I am fine with the wait. I am concerned about the current COPR validity date, which is May 14th 2019. I will be updating CIC after my marriage (end of January 2019), do you know if they will adjust the validity date and give me a new date to enter Canada (the current COPR will probably be cancelled)?
Also lets say I went through this process, we both get the COPR's. Is it fine we just go to Canada, do the soft landing and come back and go permanently next year? I ma guessing it should be fine, but just making sure.