+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Change in DLI

Amit25July

Feb 8, 2021
Hi All,

I got study permit starting Aug 21 until Nov 22 for a DLI. My queries are:

(1) Can I switch to another DLI for Fall 21 session now? If yes, what i need to do from informing IRCC perspective/reapplying etc

(2) Can I switch to a session starting Feb 22 and ending Mar 23 in the same DLI? If yes, what need to be done from IRCC perspective. This is due to getting waitlisted while I was applying for study visa.

Appreciate your response.

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
1. According to new rules, you will need to apply for a new SP if you intend to change your DLI prior to arrival in Canada.
2. If the course will start within 150 days of Fall 2021, you just need to send a webform to IRCC notifiying them of your intention to defer to next session.

Reactions: captainarabiia

captainarabiia

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2015
Winnipeg
Visa Office......
Riyadh Visa Office
App. Filed.......
22-02-2018
Passport Req..
11-03-2018
1. According to new rules, you will need to apply for a new SP if you intend to change your DLI prior to arrival in Canada.
2. If the course will start within 150 days of Fall 2021, you just need to send a webform to IRCC notifiying them of your intention to defer to next session.
Honestly that's a great decision!
A lot of people are changing DLI's before coming to Canada, some could be genuine, while some seem to change the course and field completely which raises red flags.

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Honestly that's a great decision!
A lot of people are changing DLI's before coming to Canada, some could be genuine, while some seem to change the course and field completely which raises red flags.
Yes, I understand why IRCC will take this stance. As with most things, the bad ones spoil things for the good ones. Some of us have genuine reasons to want to change DLI. In my case, I got a better offer (same course and level) at a better rated university and with a great funding.

Oh well...

captainarabiia

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2015
Winnipeg
Visa Office......
Riyadh Visa Office
App. Filed.......
22-02-2018
Passport Req..
11-03-2018
Yes, I understand why IRCC will take this stance. As with most things, the bad ones spoil things for the good ones. Some of us have genuine reasons to want to change DLI. In my case, I got a better offer (same course and level) at a better rated university and with a great funding.

Oh well...
Agree 100%.

EmJ_BLR

Dec 31, 2020
Hi @Amit25July ,
Were you able to change DLI?
I just submitted my application under SDS. (only upfront medical completed, couldn't give biometrics due to covid situation and VAC closure).
Got a better offer, same level, different program but relevant to my profile.
I would like to know how to change the DLI while the application is still in processing. Should we submit a web form and ask them the process? or attach the new LOA with the webform ? Will it still be considered under SDS in this case..

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Hi @Amit25July ,
Were you able to change DLI?
I just submitted my application under SDS. (only upfront medical completed, couldn't give biometrics due to covid situation and VAC closure).
Got a better offer, same level, different program but relevant to my profile.
I would like to know how to change the DLI while the application is still in processing. Should we submit a web form and ask them the process? or attach the new LOA with the webform ? Will it still be considered under SDS in this case..
Yes, webform. Attach the new LOA and a new SOP detailing why this is a better program for you.

EmJ_BLR

Dec 31, 2020
Yes, webform. Attach the new LOA and a new SOP detailing why this is a better program for you.
Hey @wonderbly ,
Thanks for the quick reply.
But, I am not sure if they even started reviewing my current application as I couldn't give biometrics. If I submit a webform, will they provide any acknowledgement/confirmation.?? My doubt is that will I somehow confuse them with 2 SOPs and have any negative impact.
Also, this new offer is conditional (they need official transcript and IELTS official copy, which I will send asap). A conditional LOA is acceptable or should it be Unconditional ?

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Hey @wonderbly ,
Thanks for the quick reply.
But, I am not sure if they even started reviewing my current application as I couldn't give biometrics. If I submit a webform, will they provide any acknowledgement/confirmation.?? My doubt is that will I somehow confuse them with 2 SOPs and have any negative impact.
Also, this new offer is conditional (they need official transcript and IELTS official copy, which I will send asap). A conditional LOA is acceptable or should it be Unconditional ?
They will not be confused by your letters. They are used to applicants sending follow up documents via webform. I don't think you should chance i with conditional letter - rather wait till you have the unconditional offer.

EmJ_BLR

Dec 31, 2020
They will not be confused by your letters. They are used to applicants sending follow up documents via webform. I don't think you should chance i with conditional letter - rather wait till you have the unconditional offer.
Ok..thats a relief.
Then I will wait for the unconditional offer and then submit the webform.
Thanks for the inputs.

Alexi01

May 14, 2021
Hey guys I am in the same boat. I have completed 1 semester at my current university but requested a transfer at a better university and now they have given me the offer letter and just have one month to accept I will be traveling in August as the second semester starts in September. What should I do? Should I accept the offer and change DLI in my account once I reach Canada? Will it effect anything?

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Hey guys I am in the same boat. I have completed 1 semester at my current university but requested a transfer at a better university and now they have given me the offer letter and just have one month to accept I will be traveling in August as the second semester starts in September. What should I do? Should I accept the offer and change DLI in my account once I reach Canada? Will it effect anything?
Yes you can do that. Just make sure you present your current DLI's LOA at the border of entry. Once inside, you can change your DLI in your online account.

• Love
Reactions: Alexi01
Oct 18, 2021
Yes you can do that. Just make sure you present your current DLI's LOA at the border of entry. Once inside, you can change your DLI in your online account.
Dear wonderbly,

I am really confused and want to make things clear for me. I will be applying for Masters (Fall 2022 Intake) but then eventually i want to change dli and pursue my studies by choosing a normal Diploma program of 2 years. Just to make things(PGWP/PR) easier. I have 3 questions:

1. As per new rules: To change DLI it is mentioned.
YOU MUST BE ACTIVELY PURSUING STUDIES TO CHANGE DLI. NEED TO PAY 1 SEM OR 1 YEAR FEE depending on University.

Does this mean that i can only change dli once i complete the semester or i can change Midway? Lets say... Is it possible to change after 1 month of attending classes? Will that be a problem?

Because a few people are telling me i need to finish 1 semester of 6 months atleast. Which would be a hassle and waste of time.

2. Existing Uni Issues: Will my EXISTING Uni/DLI create problems with my study permit as they are going to lose a seat as i am going to change program and college.

3. Process of Changing: Do i just get an offer letter from new college and update in GCKEY or i have to justify things with existing university and give reasons/withdraw/take leave application/deal with documentation. I mean how to make things work out in my case??

Kindly help

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Dear wonderbly,

I am really confused and want to make things clear for me. I will be applying for Masters (Fall 2022 Intake) but then eventually i want to change dli and pursue my studies by choosing a normal Diploma program of 2 years. Just to make things(PGWP/PR) easier. I have 3 questions:

1. As per new rules: To change DLI it is mentioned.
YOU MUST BE ACTIVELY PURSUING STUDIES TO CHANGE DLI. NEED TO PAY 1 SEM OR 1 YEAR FEE depending on University.

Does this mean that i can only change dli once i complete the semester or i can change Midway? Lets say... Is it possible to change after 1 month of attending classes? Will that be a problem?

Because a few people are telling me i need to finish 1 semester of 6 months atleast. Which would be a hassle and waste of time.

2. Existing Uni Issues: Will my EXISTING Uni/DLI create problems with my study permit as they are going to lose a seat as i am going to change program and college.

3. Process of Changing: Do i just get an offer letter from new college and update in GCKEY or i have to justify things with existing university and give reasons/withdraw/take leave application/deal with documentation. I mean how to make things work out in my case??

Kindly help
IRCC didn't stipulate what exactly "Actively studying" is. No one is sure how long is acceptable to be studying at one DLI before switching to another. I can only speculate that perhaps, completing 1 semester might suffice.

"Because a few people are telling me i need to finish 1 semester of 6 months atleast. Which would be a hassle and waste of time." -
Yes, this is exactly the reason why IRCC implemented this rule to deter people from doing what you are planning to do (apply for SP with a program that will likely get you a permit, then switch to a lesser/irrelevant program afterwards. They know people will be less likely to go this route if it means waste of time and money :).

Unfortunately I can't help with your other questions related to your DLI.