+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Change employer whilst on work permit and settlement long term

Abz100

Oct 12, 2013
Hi,

Just wanted to get some info on couple of points, I am currently here from Uk on work permit under skilled category, I have been approached by another company who are willing to apply to switch over my work permit to them and also offering excellent opportunities long term so the question is

Can I switch employer if the second company gets me a work permit
How long does it take for the new company to arrange my work permit
As they are offering me long term opportunity, if I decide to stay with them will they have to get me a new work permit every 2 years ?
I have been told I can apply for immigration once I have been in Canada for 12 months on work permit, is this true and how long does this process takes ?

Lastly my Mrs and kids wants to join me now from uk will they just apply for visa on arrival at the airport or will I have to apply beforehand for them. Are there any documents they need to have with them to apply at the airport .

Much Appreciated

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Abz100 said:
Can I switch employer if the second company gets me a work permit
How long does it take for the new company to arrange my work permit
As they are offering me long term opportunity, if I decide to stay with them will they have to get me a new work permit every 2 years ?
I have been told I can apply for immigration once I have been in Canada for 12 months on work permit, is this true and how long does this process takes ?

Lastly my Mrs and kids wants to join me now from uk will they just apply for visa on arrival at the airport or will I have to apply beforehand for them. Are there any documents they need to have with them to apply at the airport .
Hi

If the second company receives a positive LMO, then you can apply to change the conditions of your stay http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/extend-worker.asp.

Online apps for a work permit with a new employer are currently taking about 41 days http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/temp.asp

If they are offering you long-term, you would need to apply for PR. Once you have completed 12 months of full time work in skill level 0, A or B, you are eligible to apply for Permanent Residency through the Canadian Experience Class, CEC. This 12 months can be a combination from your current job and the new job, ie. if you've worked in your current position for 6 months already, you can apply for CEC after 6 months in your new position. There are also other PR classes you may qualify under, such as FSW or depending on what province you are in, PNP.

Your family can enter without visas. If your position is of skill level 0, A or B, your wife can apply at the airport for an Open Work Permit. She would need the app, the fee and your documents. Her OWP would be valid until the end of your work permit. The kids can come in as visitors and you will need to continue extending their visitor status until you guys either become PRs or leave Canada.