+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

change destination (from winnipeg to toronto)

niwrrehs

Dec 5, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Canadian Embassy Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Doc's Request.
January 2010
File Transfer...
January 2010
Med's Request
June 2010
Med's Done....
July 2010
Passport Req..
September 2010
VISA ISSUED...
October 2010
LANDED..........
March 24 2011
hi..
we will be migrating to canada this coming march 2011, but our destination in our application form is in winnipeg, manitoba. Thanks God Visa Approved.. but instead of going to winnipeg, we are concidering to stay in toronto, coz weve got lots of friends there. Could it be possible to go directly to toronto??? help please :)

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you applied as a skilled worker and not through say the provincial nominee program in Manitoba, then it does not matter where you go. You just can't land in Quebec.

niwrrehs

Dec 5, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Canadian Embassy Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Doc's Request.
January 2010
File Transfer...
January 2010
Med's Request
June 2010
Med's Done....
July 2010
Passport Req..
September 2010
VISA ISSUED...
October 2010
LANDED..........
March 24 2011
thank you so much leon, such a great help for us...

imu

Jan 22, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Leon said:
If you applied as a skilled worker and not through say the provincial nominee program in Manitoba, then it does not matter where you go. You just can't land in Quebec.
Dear Leon
thank you very much for your important writings .
i applied for permanent residence in Canada. in application i mentioned Toronto as my preferred place . now i want to land in Alberta. can i land in Alberta? another point is that I want to receive the Alberta health card just on landing or within some few days as we want my baby born in Canada it is also because we are expecting baby in late may,2011. will the Alberta health card cover my baby delivery cost if my baby born there? for your additional information, we are planning to land in early may 2011.
could you please comment on the affairs or advise me what to do!
wishes
imu

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
imu said:
i applied for permanent residence in Canada. in application i mentioned Toronto as my preferred place . now i want to land in Alberta. can i land in Alberta?
If you applied as under the skilled worker program and you wrote Toronto on your application, you are not bound by that. You can land in Alberta if you want to. Nobody will care.

imu said:
another point is that I want to receive the Alberta health card just on landing or within some few days as we want my baby born in Canada it is also because we are expecting baby in late may,2011. will the Alberta health card cover my baby delivery cost if my baby born there?
When I first moved to Alberta, you could get a health care card instantly but since then, they have moved the registration process from the AB health offices to the privately owned registries so it is possible that it takes a little longer now to get the health care card. You are however covered from day 1 so if you did have some expenses before you get your health care number / card, you could ask them to refund you. If your wife is covered by AB health, they will pay for the hospital cost for the delivery of the baby.

imu

Jan 22, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks Indeed!
its high time to recall the first suggestions on PCC from you when I, for the first time initiated my application and now i reached to a point of immigrating to Canada, then married and currently expecting my first baby !its a great news for me form you. I was in a tensed and confused situation about it. thanks again.now ,is there any obligatory conditions to stay in Alberta for a time-limit or any other things ?can I move to Toronto later leaving Alberta? could you please advice me relating to the fact?

wishes again
imu

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
imu said:
now ,is there any obligatory conditions to stay in Alberta for a time-limit or any other things ?can I move to Toronto later leaving Alberta?
As an FSW applicant, there are no restrictions on you to stay anywhere. If you want to move to Toronto later, you can do that. Best advice though, settle where you get a job. If you find a good job in Alberta, make sure you have a job lined up in Toronto before you decide to move.

imu

Jan 22, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dear Leon,
thanks Buddy!
one more question!can i leave Alberta and Canada after staying for couple of weeks?
pluswhat could be my address if they ask for a address upon landing? its so embarrassing that i do not have any one known or any relatives in Alberta or in Canada. do the require it? upon landing , it will next to impossible to provide them with a address! i can do it after managing a house or residential address, how can i overcome with this problem?
thanks again
imu

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
imu said:
one more question!can i leave Alberta and Canada after staying for couple of weeks?
pluswhat could be my address if they ask for a address upon landing?
For PR card, you can land and leave right away. You don't have to give an address when you land. You can update later. You can arrange an address through UPS so that they will forward you the PR card when it arrives.

For health care, you need to stay. You can not register for health care unless you have an address in AB.

dr.rasha

Dec 30, 2010
Re: change destination (from quebec to toronto)

hi.i have almost the same situation..i will hopefully land in canada in march 2011.our application form was as a skilled worker to quebec.. i wonder if it is possible to land and stay in toronto??

niwrrehs

Dec 5, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Canadian Embassy Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Doc's Request.
January 2010
File Transfer...
January 2010
Med's Request
June 2010
Med's Done....
July 2010
Passport Req..
September 2010
VISA ISSUED...
October 2010
LANDED..........
March 24 2011
Re: change destination (from quebec to toronto)

dr.rasha said:
hi.i have almost the same situation..i will hopefully land in canada in march 2011.our application form was as a skilled worker to quebec.. i wonder if it is possible to land and stay in toronto??
you can land in toronto as long as you are not under PNP

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Winnipeg to Toronto is no problem because both are outside Quebec. Quebec has their own immigration program so if you applied under Quebec skilled worker, you have signed a document saying you intend to settle in Quebec. The border has recently started to turn away PNP applicants who land outside their PNP province and who they believe have no intentions of settling there. It is therefore smarter if you don't want to have problems that you land in Quebec or if you can not get a direct flight to Quebec that you land with a direct connecting flight to Quebec and that you start out in Quebec, apply for your SIN and health care and stay for at least long enough to get your PR card and health. If you move after that, if somebody ever comes back to you and questions you on your intentions to settle, you can say you did have intentions to settle, could not find a job and ended up going elsewhere. If you stayed in Quebec for only 1 day or a couple of weeks, you could not make such a claim.

Mr.egyptian

Feb 22, 2010
Hi Leon

I am a Quebec Selected Worker SW1 visa, i have landed on the 29th of December, i was supposed to land in Montreal then go to Toronto 4 hours later, but because of the Chaos in Heahrow airport, i got shipped directly to Toronto. In the BSO, when i tried to provide them with my friend's address in Toronto they freaked out and they asked me if i have no intentions to go to Quebec, i said, no i am going to Quebec i am just here because of the airlines and i have a friend i can stay with till i get settled, so they gave me a form and they told me when you get an address in Quebec fill out this form and send it to CIC.

Yesterday i called the CIC hotline number i explained what happened, they said that's ok to take my friend's address send me the PR there and later on i can update my file by Quebec address, i asked them : hypothetically if i get job offers in Toronto should i decline them because i have to live Quebec ? their answer that's my decision to make and all they can say that this can impact my PR status later on ! i asked them will i be investigated or have a follow up or something, their answer was they don't know !?

My issue is the following:

- I have 2 potential jobs in toronto
- Will it be ok to live in toronto for like a year or a year and half till i establish canadian experience then move to Montreal before my CSQ expires in 2012 ?
- Is it risky to stay in Toronto, what could've happen ?
- If i am staying in Toronto, should i apply to health insurance in Ontario or in Quebec ? and how to do that if i am not living in Quebec for the moment ?

I feel scared and frustrated because i didn't know any of this before arriving ( i applied to Quebec in 2008 ) and i don't want to do anything to jeopardize my stay in Canada but in the same time i am not able to get a solid information from CIC their answer is cryptic to me also the website is not clear about the rules, also i have worked really hard to secure those job opportunities in Toronto, and there is a big demand for french speakers in Toronto. I am thinking to get a consultation from an immigration lawyer, will that help ?

I will highly appreciate every piece of information you can provide, it will be great to provide official sources.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My advice is go to Quebec and look for jobs there first. It used to be that Provincial nominees were going to where ever they wanted but immigration has recently started to go after people who come in under a provincial program with no intentions of settling in the province. If you had said at the airport that you were going to settle in Toronto and not in Quebec, they would probably not have given you your PR.

What could happen, worst case scenario if you don't go to Quebec now is that they will report you for misrepresentation saying that you lied when you landed and they can revoke your PR for that.

Whether you apply for ON or QC health depends on where you are living. If you live in ON, you get OHIP, if you live in Quebec, you apply for their health care.

Chauvinist

Star Member
Dec 19, 2010
hi this discussion is quite informative nd matches my position as well , i was sponsored by a organisation in Quebec nd now i am about to get my visa if evething goes right . Will i hav to live in sherbrooke or i will be allowed to move somewhere else ?