Chances to get governmental job

Jakev

Champion Member
Sep 22, 2017
NOC Code......
0114 and 0125
AOR Received.
14-11-2017
If you are working at a large bank and you get a grant worth 1/2 of your tuition for an MBA there is definitely a flaw to the system and most Ontario taxpayers would be outraged. The system was created to support low income students to attend entry level post secondary education.
Mate, if you can’t change the law stop whining about it. I know a gazillion nouveau immigrants taking advantage of this opportunity, and shall continue to do so.

OSAP even qualifies for those who make 100,000 CAD for a year- check out the estimator on their website.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Mate, if you can’t change the law stop whining about it. I know a gazillion nouveau immigrants taking advantage of this opportunity, and shall continue to do so.

OSAP even qualifies for those who make 100,000 CAD for a year- check out the estimator on their website.
This is exactly why the grants were cancelled. I suspected they would be eliminated since someone doing an MBA should not be getting a grant. The goal was to help low income student get an entry level degree but the program was very poorly implemented.

Reactions: Copingwithlife

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
And hopefully this is just the start....

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/pc-government-tuition-fees-1.4981987

I remember when I got laid off from a job I had for 27 years. The first thing I was asked at Employment Ontario was Am I a immigrant? I said No, then I asked Why? She said, well you get this and this and this if you were. So basically zip retraining because I had paid taxes into the system since I was 14. But if I was a immigrant, here is a list of everything you can get.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
And hopefully this is just the start....

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/pc-government-tuition-fees-1.4981987

I remember when I got laid off from a job I had for 27 years. The first thing I was asked at Employment Ontario was Am I a immigrant? I said No, then I asked Why? She said, well you get this and this and this if you were. So basically zip retraining because I had paid taxes into the system since I was 14.
There was tons of fraud by Canadian citizens as well. Many people were not reporting various forms of income or family support. This is definitely not an issue that affected only immigrants.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
There was tons of fraud by Canadian citizens as well. Many people were not reporting various forms of income or family support. This is definitely not an issue that affected only immigrants.
Correct me if I am wrong but I am not saying that. However a friend who got laid off at the same time as me, got the same reply from Employment Ontario. Her mother immigrated 30 years ago. If her mother had gotten laid off, she would have been eligible for all benefits, even though she had arrived into Canada 30 plus years ago. Just because someone is questioning the system does not constitute racism, and I will continue to question it.

Jakev

Champion Member
Sep 22, 2017
NOC Code......
0114 and 0125
AOR Received.
14-11-2017
This is exactly why the grants were cancelled. I suspected they would be eliminated since someone doing an MBA should not be getting a grant. The goal was to help low income student get an entry level degree but the program was very poorly implemented.
Not for fees already paid for by OSAP. I was one of those lucky blokes to have got it for the 2018-19 academic year.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Not for fees already paid for by OSAP. I was one of those lucky blokes to have got it for the 2018-19 academic year.
Yes you won the lottery and your MBA was heavily subsidized by the Ontario tax payer. There was no reason for a province heavily in debt to subsidize education for people who can pay for their own education or take out their own loans. Some people got very lucky and went to school in the past 2 years. Similar person 4 years ago had to pay for their entire education. The purpose of the program was to help students who could have not attended college/university even with OSAP loans and part-time work. To make sure low income students could try to get a solid start and hopefully move into the middle class or better. The purpose was never to pay for degrees especially advanced degrees for people making a good salary already or to grant people a free education if they had the savings to pay for it.

Jakev

Champion Member
Sep 22, 2017
NOC Code......
0114 and 0125
AOR Received.
14-11-2017
Yes you won the lottery and your MBA was heavily subsidized by the Ontario tax payer. There was no reason for a province heavily in debt to subsidize education for people who can pay for their own education or take out their own loans. Some people got very lucky and went to school in the past 2 years. Similar person 4 years ago had to pay for their entire education. The purpose of the program was to help students who could have not attended college/university even with OSAP loans and part-time work. To make sure low income students could try to get a solid start and hopefully move into the middle class or better. The purpose was never to pay for degrees especially advanced degrees for people making a good salary already or to grant people a free education if they had the savings to pay for it.
FYI- it wasn't an MBA as I already have one from Great Britain. It was a specialized Master's at one of the best Universities.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Why should I pay when the government offers such generous assistance?
I didn't say that. My point is the government shouldn't have offered the assistance. Somehow the program to help low income students be able to attend college or university turned into helping everyone and giving out huge grants.