Doc's Request.
No additional documents request since AOR
AOR Received.
21-01-2016
Passport Req..
30-08-2016
LANDED..........
14-10-2016
Guys, have been settled in GTA area for 5 months now, searching job in HR field, however no success yet. I am engaged in couple of programs with the settlement services (YMCA mentoring, jobskills etc.), but who knows whether all this will work out, no sure about that. Looks like no one can help you more that you can do for yourself. Anyway, before thinking of changing the professional goals or field, I m gonna keep the job seek a bit longer.
What about my wife, the problem is that she has degree in finances from country of origin, but she doesn't have any significant experience, only couple of months of banking internship and maternity leave then. She tries to get an entry position in banking, but nothing yet. But she 's really interested in getting some governmental job. She thinks that discrimination like "no Canadian experience" might not be as common there as in private sector. Has anybody succeeded in getting gov job as a newcomer so far?

ttrajan

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2013
Category........
AINP
Job Offer........
Yes
LANDED..........
15-08-2012
Getting a job is difficult nowadays.

NetMecca

Dec 12, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
14-07-2009
Government jobs are complicated. More often that not they require you to be bilingual French and english. If you have those skills it might be a good start. Probably not that likely as a new immigrant thought. I would set my sites on the private sector if I were you to start.

Good luck

next2015

Nov 18, 2014
Based on my experience, its possible. Some of my first interviews were with government organizations, at the federal level. I actually interviewed through to the final rounds, not sure what the selected candidate had that I did not, but its possible for a new immigrant to land a government job. The key is in making sure you meet the requirements. As with any job, be sure to read the job description carefully and confirm that your profile matches the requirements. In the event that the job requires french, they will highlight it, not all of them do, though - but it earns you more points. The only challenge with government jobs, particularly at the federal level is security clearance. As a newly landed immigrant you do not qualify to obtain most of the clearance levels. But its a matter of reading the description, verifying that you meet the requirements, and putting together a good application. That said, I would advise you to consider both public and private sector opportunities - do not restrict your self this early in the game; you need to put your foot in the door, first.

All the best.

parttimebasement

Star Member
Oct 22, 2018
Now both Govt and Employers need new immigrants to do the minimum wage job and that too part time so that govt gets tax and employers save money.
The people who have already been established in canada wont do the low wage and shift work so thats where the immigrants come in.
So you need to do minimum wage job first and then apply for HR jobs as that will show you have canadian experience.
Even if you clean toilets in canada then it can be shown an canadian experience rather that 10 yrs as HR Manager in some banana republic.

BC4life

Nov 5, 2015
Toronto, ON
Visa Office......
HKVO
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
06-10-2016
AOR Received.
07-12-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
19-12-2016
Passport Req..
28-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
09-03-2017
LANDED..........
XX-07-2017
Guys, have been settled in GTA area for 5 months now, searching job in HR field, however no success yet. I am engaged in couple of programs with the settlement services (YMCA mentoring, jobskills etc.), but who knows whether all this will work out, no sure about that. Looks like no one can help you more that you can do for yourself. Anyway, before thinking of changing the professional goals or field, I m gonna keep the job seek a bit longer.
What about my wife, the problem is that she has degree in finances from country of origin, but she doesn't have any significant experience, only couple of months of banking internship and maternity leave then. She tries to get an entry position in banking, but nothing yet. But she 's really interested in getting some governmental job. She thinks that discrimination like "no Canadian experience" might not be as common there as in private sector. Has anybody succeeded in getting gov job as a newcomer so far?
For your wife if she wants to work in banking, she can consider doing the CSC or IFIC, and also take a one or two years diploma course at a local college. With OSAP the cost should be mostly free to her (for the college) and if your income is not too high you may even get some more funds for your daily spending.

For yourself while you are doing job search why don't you sign up for an 8-month graduate certificate in HR? Most have classes late in the afternoon or in the evening as they target working professionals. So you can continue your job search, and even if you find work you can do both (I did the same). This shows prospective employers that you are serious about this field, and Canadian education will boost your resume. Some come with coop which can give you initial experience. Again you can apply for OSAP which means you will not be paying out of pocket. Personally I prefer the college route to the settlement services as most employers will value more Canadian academic education than some upgrade services for new immigrants.

Reactions: Jakev

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
For your wife if she wants to work in banking, she can consider doing the CSC or IFIC, and also take a one or two years diploma course at a local college. With OSAP the cost should be mostly free to her (for the college) and if your income is not too high you may even get some more funds for your daily spending.

For yourself while you are doing job search why don't you sign up for an 8-month graduate certificate in HR? Most have classes late in the afternoon or in the evening as they target working professionals. So you can continue your job search, and even if you find work you can do both (I did the same). This shows prospective employers that you are serious about this field, and Canadian education will boost your resume. Some come with coop which can give you initial experience. Again you can apply for OSAP which means you will not be paying out of pocket. Personally I prefer the college route to the settlement services as most employers will value more Canadian academic education than some upgrade services for new immigrants.
You're making some huge assumptions that this family has was low income last year and they would be able to qualify for grants. The grants are also likely on the chopping block with the new government.

BC4life

Nov 5, 2015
Toronto, ON
Visa Office......
HKVO
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
06-10-2016
AOR Received.
07-12-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
19-12-2016
Passport Req..
28-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
09-03-2017
LANDED..........
XX-07-2017
You're making some huge assumptions that this family has was low income last year and they would be able to qualify for grants. The grants are also likely on the chopping block with the new government.
I am not making huge assumptions. Per OP he has settled and has been looking for work for 5 months, while his wife is not working, so it is more than likely than they will be below the income thresholds for OSAP grants. Yes the previous year income would be taken into account (even if that income was overseas) but this should not disqualify for grant. When I first landed in Canada my previous year household income was over 100K yet I still qualified for grants as my conditions were similar to OP (no ongoing income in Canada and wife not working).

Reactions: Jakev

Jakev

Champion Member
Sep 22, 2017
NOC Code......
0114 and 0125
AOR Received.
14-11-2017
Guys,

I just received OSAP for an admission into one of the top Universities in Canada (the one in Kingston) - I have a full-time job too in a Big 4 too. Canada is indeed awesome as I am now able to specialize in a domain which also happens to be my 2nd Master's ! FYI- I get paid circa 25k CAD whilst I have to put in the remaining (almost 25k itself) which is not all that bad.

My spouse has also now applied for a college to specialize in HR, and we're counting on OSAP there too.

Overall, an opportune time to get specialized and pay forward. By God's grace, I amassed 2 professional certifications in the meanwhile, and am still upskilling myself to ensure we don't get left out.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Guys,

I just received OSAP for an admission into one of the top Universities in Canada (the one in Kingston) - I have a full-time job too in a Big 4 too. Canada is indeed awesome as I am now able to specialize in a domain which also happens to be my 2nd Master's ! FYI- I get paid circa 25k CAD whilst I have to put in the remaining (almost 25k itself) which is not all that bad.

My spouse has also now applied for a college to specialize in HR, and we're counting on OSAP there too.

Overall, an opportune time to get specialized and pay forward. By God's grace, I amassed 2 professional certifications in the meanwhile, and am still upskilling myself to ensure we don't get left out.
Never heard someone so excited to get a loan! Probably good idea to know that you're attending Queen's University.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am not making huge assumptions. Per OP he has settled and has been looking for work for 5 months, while his wife is not working, so it is more than likely than they will be below the income thresholds for OSAP grants. Yes the previous year income would be taken into account (even if that income was overseas) but this should not disqualify for grant. When I first landed in Canada my previous year household income was over 100K yet I still qualified for grants as my conditions were similar to OP (no ongoing income in Canada and wife not working).
Huge flaw in the system then because Canadian families would not qualify for grants with that previous year salary level and assume a decent amount of savings if making 100K potentially tax free.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Guys,

If you are receiving a 25k grant from OSAP while currently working at big bank the system is nuts. I also assume you may be doing a part-time MBA and will continue working. The low income grants were meant to get low income students into bachelor degrees or college diplomas.

Jakev

Champion Member
Sep 22, 2017
NOC Code......
0114 and 0125
AOR Received.
14-11-2017
Never heard someone so excited to get a loan! Probably good idea to know that you're attending Queen's University.
Who said it’s a loan? It’s a bloody grant which I don’t have to repay. Please don’t make assumptions based on your own opinions.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Who said it’s a loan? It’s a bloody grant which I don’t have to repay. Please don’t make assumptions based on your own opinions.
If you are working at a large bank and you get a grant worth 1/2 of your tuition for an MBA there is definitely a flaw to the system and most Ontario taxpayers would be outraged. The system was created to support low income students to attend entry level post secondary education.