+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Chances of student visa rejection if I go for PG diploma after a masters from India

Reema115

Sep 19, 2020
I completed my BSc degree in biology in 2017 and then joined masters in microbiology after one year and completed it just recently this year. However a bsc and msc degree in india dont really equip one with practical skills to get into biological companies. I thus thought of applying to a PG diploma in biotechnology or environmental technology to study further and then work. But I recently checked deeper into student visa rejection in such cases and I am unsure if it's a good decision to go ahead with it. Are chances of getting my student visa rejected high?

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
Even if I opt for environmental technology? As it's not something that has been exclusively taught in my study so far but it is a bit related. I have studied in majorly theoretical courses.
Doesn't matter VO is not going to go into detail what your specialization is or isn't. You have a Master's and you are opting for a lower level of study which doesn't make sense unless your aim is to get PGWP and stay here afterwards. That's how it will be seen

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
I don't have professional work experience. I wouldn't get enough points. As I completed my MSc last month only.
Calculate your points with one year of work experience and band CLB 9 or higher for IELTS based on what you think would be realistic.

If you're coming close with your points, then i would suggest applying through express entry.

I just don't think the studying for a PG dip route is doable with your qualifications, they're just going to assume your intention is to remain in Canada.

Th3_Future

Star Member
Aug 8, 2020
I completed my BSc degree in biology in 2017 and then joined masters in microbiology after one year and completed it just recently this year. However a bsc and msc degree in india dont really equip one with practical skills to get into biological companies. I thus thought of applying to a PG diploma in biotechnology or environmental technology to study further and then work. But I recently checked deeper into student visa rejection in such cases and I am unsure if it's a good decision to go ahead with it. Are chances of getting my student visa rejected high?
Have you given PhD program a shoot; you could be eligible for scholarships or grants or even assistantship.

Reactions: Impatient Dankaroo

hydrakanth

Star Member
Aug 17, 2020
Why don't you try to get into masters program in Environmental Science/Microbiology/Environmental Studies/Cell Biology etc. Now there are also masters programs in Biotechnology but I would recommend going for those due to high costs and very narrow employment opportunities. You could also look for masters program in Geo-environmental sciences.

Most of these programs offer some kind of assistanceship (graduate research or teaching assistanship). Initially you may have to come to Canada without funding but most of the time, you will start getting funding from second year. If you are really interested in research, you can even extend your masters program into Ph.D.

Also note that your masters degree in microbiology from India is only counted as a four year bachelors degree in Canada and is good enough to get you into masters program without any preconditions. With masters program you have a very small chance of visa rejection. Don't waste your time going for diploma courses or courses from colleges.

Reema115

Sep 19, 2020
Have you given PhD program a shoot; you could be eligible for scholarships or grants or even assistantship.
I have tried approaching professors from some time. There hasn't been a positive response so far, possibly due to pandemic. Otherwise funding is an issue for an international student.

Reema115

Sep 19, 2020
Why don't you try to get into masters program in Environmental Science/Microbiology/Environmental Studies/Cell Biology etc. Now there are also masters programs in Biotechnology but I would recommend going for those due to high costs and very narrow employment opportunities. You could also look for masters program in Geo-environmental sciences.

Most of these programs offer some kind of assistanceship (graduate research or teaching assistanship). Initially you may have to come to Canada without funding but most of the time, you will start getting funding from second year. If you are really interested in research, you can even extend your masters program into Ph.D.

Also note that your masters degree in microbiology from India is only counted as a four year bachelors degree in Canada and is good enough to get you into masters program without any preconditions. With masters program you have a very small chance of visa rejection. Don't waste your time going for diploma courses or courses from colleges.
But the tuition fee for most masters courses is a lot expensive. I was thinking of going for a Skill-based course that helps in joining a biotech company or such.

firestone45

Star Member
Apr 8, 2017
Don't lose your hope.

I have seen many people getting AIP and study permits after completing a masters degree from India but it all depends how you explain the reasons of you choosing to study PGDM after a MASTERS in SOP. Write a strong SOP. Choose PGDM related to your course of study... prove good financial status.

Mostly you will get SP if you are good in these and VO is satisfied that you are genuine student.

Reactions: Qwerty098