+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Chances of PGWP approval?

lost_soul

Star Member
Aug 1, 2017
Hi everyone,

I started a Master's at McGill in Fall 2018, failed two courses because I had personal circumstances at the time, and transferred to another program right after, which started in the Summer of 2018.
The program I transferred to just finished, and am graduating with a GPA of 3.6 (constant high GPA all semesters of the program).
I was full-time every single semester (including the one when I failed courses), except for the very last semester of this program, when every student was part-time (due to program structure). CIC says on their website we are allowed to be part-time on the last semester of the program.

My study permit's last day (day written on document) was August 31st 2019. I applied for PGWP online on August 30th at night. I received two confirmations:
- One, dated August 30th, stating my application has been submitted on the 30th at 9pm.
- Another one, also dated August 30th, stating my application was received on the 31st. So the letter, dated on August 30th, says CIC received my application in the future (August 31st). This must be a bug.

I attached all required documents to my application file (official transcript, letter from school proving graduation, passport, required form etc.)
I know immigration officers can be very robotic and stupid, so I prefer to ask: given my file and history, is there a scenario under which an immigration officier would not want to approve a PGWP for me?

Thanks a lot

Last edited:

Murich

Star Member
Sep 7, 2019
  • maintained full-time status as a student in Canada during each semester of your study program (except your final semester, which can be part-time, or if you took a leave from studies)
So you are fine

lost_soul

Star Member
Aug 1, 2017
Thank you for your answer Murich. I was more curious about the fact that I applied on August 30th at night when my study permit expired on the 31st, and the 'receipt' message saying they received the application on the 31st (with an Aug 30th stamp - which is weird) , while the other message said it was actually transmitted on the 30th.

2 years ago I got my study permit application rejected because I didn't attach one single little document, which was not even included on the list to upload. I didn't even get notified to send a complement, it was just refused right away, and i had to apply all over again with that file in complement and it created a mess in my life for a whole year. Since then I've been quite paranoid and I don't trust immigration officers. Do you think immigration could screw me over for applying on the 30th August?

Murich

Star Member
Sep 7, 2019
Thank you for your answer Murich. I was more curious about the fact that I applied on August 30th at night when my study permit expired on the 31st, and the 'receipt' message saying they received the application on the 31st (with an Aug 30th stamp - which is weird) , while the other message said it was actually transmitted on the 30th.

2 years ago I got my study permit application rejected because I didn't attach one single little document, which was not even included on the list to upload. I didn't even get notified to send a complement, it was just refused right away, and i had to apply all over again with that file in complement and it created a mess in my life for a whole year. Since then I've been quite paranoid and I don't trust immigration officers. Do you think immigration could screw me over for applying on the 30th August?
better to call CIC and then you will know for sure.
but in my opinion, the important role plays the date of sending document.

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Sending is not same as receiving so the 31 received is probably correct. If it expires 31st that should mean you had until midnight on 31st so it should be fine. This is a silly game to play though, just submit it earlier to avoid issues.

There is someone on here who submitted on his deadline date but it showed reveived the next day and was refused.

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
You are fine. Amendments done in feb/ march provides that u could apply within 180 days provided that your study permit was valid on any period of the 180 days . https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/after-graduation/eligibility.html . So you could apply even after 31st Aug .
He would be out of status after 31. You need some sort of valid status to apply for pgwp be it visitor or anything. Also he would lose the right to work as soon as he applied if he applied without a valid study permit and would need to wait for actual pgwp to start working.

tankarla

Star Member
Aug 26, 2019
He would be out of status after 31. You need some sort of valid status to apply for pgwp be it visitor or anything. Also he would lose the right to work as soon as he applied if he applied without a valid study permit and would need to wait for actual pgwp to start working.
I thought that is what the amendment dispensed with . My reading goes that you only need to be in status for some period of this 180 days . Earlier one needed the study permit to be valid for making an application . That is what has been amended to be in status for some time of 180 days .

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
I thought that is what the amendment dispensed with . My reading goes that you only need to be in status for some period of this 180 days . Earlier one needed the study permit to be valid for making an application . That is what has been amended to be in status for some time of 180 days .
Now you can apply 180 days after graduation instead of just 90. And you can apply after study permit expired but you must have switched to another permit like visitor status. You cant apply without any valid status.

tankarla

Star Member
Aug 26, 2019
Now you can apply 180 days after graduation instead of just 90. And you can apply after study permit expired but you must have switched to another permit like visitor status. You cant apply without any valid status.
Yes , Thanks. Just checked. It requires a visitor visa . Otherwise one may need to go outside to apply for PGWP.