+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Chances of entering Canada without Travel Document

dan K

Dec 19, 2013
Hi all,

I am a permanent resident in Canada and currently travelling outside of Canada. I have some major issues with my PR card and my situation does not allow me to wait for PRTD to be processed and get to me on time.
Currently, my PR Card is cancelled. I know that because I travelled last month and when i came back to canada at the end of November, they said it was cancelled.

After I got back in, I had number of exams to write and got busy. I was going to send an application to renew my pr card after my exam was done, but one of my family member passed away and had to get out of country immediately and failed to submit the application (Left Canada on December 15th).

Therefore, I looked at other ways to get back into Canada and I noticed that I can get Travel Document from the Visa Offices abroad, but soon I realized that it is not a valid option as my flight coming back is in next 3 weeks but PRTD would take more than 1 month.

So, my current plan is to just go ahead and land to Pearson Airport(On Jan 12th) without PRTD but with my few documents that I filled in(PRTD application) and receipe that proves(I paid fees before I checked the processing time) I tried to obtain PRTD, a offer letter from the company I was supposed to work for when I get back, and my cancelled PR Card.

I am a Univesity student and have been PR for about 6 years without any criminal records or such. Job that I got is for the student position(Intern/Co-op for winter 2014). It specifies the Start and End date for my work term as well.

Combining all that, what are the chances of Immigration letting me into the country?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
What country do you hold passport from?

If you are not from a visa-exempt country, and you have an expired PR card, then without a travel document you won't even be allowed to board the plane wherever you are flying from.

dan K

Dec 19, 2013
Rob_TO said:
What country do you hold passport from?

If you are not from a visa-exempt country, and you have an expired PR card, then without a travel document you won't even be allowed to board the plane wherever you are flying from.
I hold Korean passport, and my PR card is not expired. Its just cancelled.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Why was it cancelled? Does that mean your PR status was revoked, or just the card was cancelled?

If you are still PR but just the card was cancelled, then when you get back to Canada they can see your PR status in their computer at immigration and you should have no problem. You should be able to board a flight to Canada with your visa-exempt passport, as a visitor/tourist.

If your PR status was revoked, then without valid work or study permit, you could only hope to be let in as a visitor. And there is a chance they could refuse you since they may think you will try to study or work with no permit, or overstay.

NetMecca

Dec 12, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
14-07-2009
Hi

It seems really odd to me that you card would be canceled. If just expired I can understand, but canceled?... And what does that mean? You do not have status any more? mmm

I agree unless you have valid travel documents, getting on a plane will be hard enough..

My suggestion is that you speak to someone at border services to start. They are the controllers, and they will be able to tell you whether you could actually get in or not.

Good luck...

lpc19800

Champion Member
May 21, 2013
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 14 2013
AOR Received.
February 24 2013
Med's Request
November 13, 2013
Med's Done....
December 5, 2013
Interview........
Waived: RPRF requested: November 13, 2013
Passport Req..
Visa exempt
VISA ISSUED...
January 6, 2014
LANDED..........
January 29, 2014
dan K said:
I hold Korean passport, and my PR card is not expired. Its just cancelled.
Which part of Korea? My understanding is that south doesn't require an entry visa but the north does

dan K

Dec 19, 2013
It wasnt revoked or anything like that.
I am not 100% sure why they cancelled my new PR Card, but I think its because they confused themselves with cancelling my old PR card and new PR card.
I lost my old PR card right before being expired and I reported it. Dont know what really happened after but when I came back last month, they told me it was cancelled but let me in.
So I think they made a mistake of cancelling new card instead of my old card.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
dan K said:
It wasnt revoked or anything like that.
I am not 100% sure why they cancelled my new PR Card, but I think its because they confused themselves with cancelling my old PR card and new PR card.
I lost my old PR card right before being expired and I reported it. Dont know what really happened after but when I came back last month, they told me it was cancelled but let me in.
So I think they made a mistake of cancelling new card instead of my old card.
Then you are fine. As long as you are still a PR, it doesn't matter when you arrive back in Canada if you actually have the PR card or not. As I said, they will look up your PR status on their computer. You can also show them your cancelled PR card.

My wife (also Korean) and I traveled to Mexico and back when she was PR but didn't have her PR card. She just showed her passport and COPR to immigration, and they didn't have a problem.

dan K

Dec 19, 2013
Then whats the point of people going through so much trouble to get PRTD?
I don't get it...
Anyways, thanks a bunch!

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
dan K said:
Then whats the point of people going through so much trouble to get PRTD?
I don't get it...
Anyways, thanks a bunch!
Travel document is needed for people who do NOT have passport from visa-exempt country. If you hold a passport where you need a special visit visa (TRV) to come to Canada, then you MUST have a PRTD or else you won't even be able to board the flight to Canada.