+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Chances for securing an LMIA-based work permit

konaessen

Feb 16, 2020
A friend of mine is desperate to relocate to Canada and has been talking an immigration consultant. So, the plan is to do it via Agri-Food Immigration Pilot program (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/agri-food-immigration-pilot.html). The consultant is saying they will get him a relevant employment qualified for the scheme and LMIA. And, he would just have to obtain a work permit, work in Canada for a year and apply for PR thru the scheme.

He has zero work experience in agri-food industry and I'm worried he would get his work permit application denied. But then official information on IRCC doesn't specify relevant work experience. Anyone got any insight about this?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Well just tell your friend to be wary of agents that say they can get an LMIA with a job offer given lots of agents make false promises and there are a lot of posts on here about fake job offers for farm supervisors for example one of the listed pilot occupations, Any offers that promise any one of free accommodation,food and flights will likely be fake

Also from what can see on the pilot site your friend would need to have relevant Canadian experience in one of the listed NOCs to be eligible for the program but thats just my interpretation.

So getting relevant Canadian experience with an LMIA might be a challenge without previous home country experience in finding an employer willing to pay 1000 Can and advertise a job to show your friend was the only person available/qualified for a vacancy.

Most Canada NOC codes require a few years home country experience before even coming to Canada so keep that in mind as well, even 8252 farm supervisor. Add to that the pilot program is a first come first served from Jan 1 each year with a quota so like the parent/ grandparent program no guarantees of PR application.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/agri-food-immigration-pilot/eligible-industries.html

Last edited:

konaessen

Feb 16, 2020
Thanks Bs65! I think the NOC he is alluding to either 6331 or 9617. I do get a bad vibe from the consultant who indeed asks for a handsome amount of service fees, enough for paying dozens of LMIA cases plus advertisements at least. And they make him believe he only needs to start accumulating the work experience with after getting into the country with the work permit...

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Well 6331 retail / wholesale butcher would be classified as a skilled job so without significant experience unlikely to qualify for that role or even get a job offer. I mean why would any employer take on someone from outside of Canada as a butcher with no previous experience ?

9617 is just a labourer so unskilled with no skills required but possibly a challenge to get an LMIA and job offer from outside of the country

https://noc.esdc.gc.ca/Home/Welcome/4e9a7d03f51f4870a6a1884e387bd41d?GoCTemplateCulture=en-CA

Seems a pretty long shot with no current Agri experience or skills prior to trying for an LMIA. Personally not sure this route has any chance to succeed other than an agent succeeding in parting your friend from their cash.

Lamideepa

Feb 6, 2020
i am working in Canada itself in food Industry for almost a year. I heard such pilot program but i don't think it is started yet. I don't think its good idea to apply for this pilot program outside the Canada. I believe this program would be for 3 year starting from May, 2020. I guess there are alredy more than 3000 applicants in Canada looking at this pilot program.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
A friend of mine is desperate to relocate to Canada and has been talking an immigration consultant. So, the plan is to do it via Agri-Food Immigration Pilot program (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/agri-food-immigration-pilot.html). The consultant is saying they will get him a relevant employment qualified for the scheme and LMIA. And, he would just have to obtain a work permit, work in Canada for a year and apply for PR thru the scheme.

He has zero work experience in agri-food industry and I'm worried he would get his work permit application denied. But then official information on IRCC doesn't specify relevant work experience. Anyone got any insight about this?
This is a scam. Best case scenario your friend will be out a bunch of money and will still be looking for a way to get to Canada. Worse case scenario he'll be out a bunch of money and will have a five year ban from Canada for misrepresentation (lying in his application).