+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Chance should be Given by Canadian Government to Whom, who are not able to meet PR obligation

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
PR is given to people who have an intention to settle in Canada permanently.

If that's not your priority, then what's the point of becoming a PR?

The residency obligations are very generous, you can even continue renewing your PR status by only staying in Canada for 2 years in every 5 year period.

And you become a citizen after 3 years.

It's very generous compared to many other Western countries.
Many people just wanna use PR as a backup to their status in the US or for social services

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
Many people just wanna use PR as a backup to their status in the US or for social services
I know, that's what i don't like or agree with.

Because there are many people around the world who have Canada as their first choice, why take their place if you aren't committed to moving to the country, and have living in the U.S as your primary motivation?

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
I mean if you don't know the reason then you haven't interacted with enough people. But aside from my dim outlook, it's up to the Canadian government to come up with a solution for it

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
They have a solution. It’s a very generous residency obligation. If you can’t or don’t want to meet it, you have the option to appeal if you loose your status. Life sometimes gets in the way and you can present that for H&C consideration. That said, don’t expect the government to bend over backwards to accommodate the few who breach the requirement. It was all clearly laid out when you applied.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
They should increase the time period and make it 4 years out of 10 years. 2 years out of 5 is very small amount of time. Essentially they are saying to PR not to study abroad. As most degrees are 3 to 4 years in length. Is some PR in Canada wants to go to Harvard for undergrad or Australia for good education, PhD etc, they are essentially penalizing that PR for improving their life and returning back to Canada to contribute to economy. And on the other hand they themselves are getting tons of students to come in and study. Sometime some study programs are not available in Canada and people need not be discouraged from seeking education outside.
Canada's immigration program rewards being a young person to offset our ageing population. If the rules were 4 out of 10 years a large percentage would arrive at the 6 year mark which would defeat the purpose of giving points for being a young person. If a person has the desire to study in the US or Australia they should delay applying for PR knowing they will not meet PR. Studying abroad is considered a personal choice not an H&C issue.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
US rarely does that. I have two green card friends who completed 5 year education outside US with me and was never questioned or asked about green card issue. Infact US allows to take advance parole in case you are going outside for study or business and anticipating long absence. Thats more progressive. And US give green card for 10 years and 10 years is plenty of time.
You may also be confused about thier status if you are confused about the rules.

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
Canada's immigration program rewards being a young person to offset our ageing population. If the rules were 4 out of 10 years a large percentage would arrive at the 6 year mark which would defeat the purpose of giving points for being a young person. If a person has the desire to study in the US or Australia they should delay applying for PR knowing they will not meet PR. Studying abroad is considered a personal choice not an H&C issue.
OP attempts to say they want to benefit the country by studying abroad to 'Harvard' but let's be honest its more self interest than anything else.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
OP attempts to say they want to benefit the country by studying abroad to 'Harvard' but let's be honest its more self interest than anything else.
Unfortunately many people apply for PR with not intention of relicating to Canada in the near future. Applying for PR at rhe same time as applying for a 4 year bachelors program makes no sense. Many don't actually think through the process and are told by there family ro apply so they apply. Have seen some who don't even know there is an RO. Many return to their home country to study whuch makes no sense of they do want to work in Canada since many will not have their degrees recognized in the same way as a Canadisb degree. The relaxation of the rules by the liberals didn't make sense in my opinion. Most are proud to be Canadian citizens but we give away citizenship so easily. As working remotely becomes more common, as people live longer and as the cost of healthcare/caring for the elderly increases the government will really need to reassess residency obligation and taxation rules.