+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Chance of visitor visa approval for spouse

akshayar640

Jan 16, 2018
Hi there, I've been looking up information online and I see the application for TRVs are getting rejected for newly married spouse.
I'm a PR and I'm getting married in April. My would-be wife wants to visit and stay with me for a few weeks immediately after marriage. She is an MBA graduate in India working as a marketing consultant for a gaming company. She will be here with me for a few weeks and return back home. She lives with her parents and they have their own house, land etc. What are the chances that her TRV would still be rejected even after she shows all the proof?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi there, I've been looking up information online and I see the application for TRVs are getting rejected for newly married spouse.
I'm a PR and I'm getting married in April. My would-be wife wants to visit and stay with me for a few weeks immediately after marriage. She is an MBA graduate in India working as a marketing consultant for a gaming company. She will be here with me for a few weeks and return back home. She lives with her parents and they have their own house, land etc. What are the chances that her TRV would still be rejected even after she shows all the proof?
No one here can tell you the chances of approval vs. refusal. It is generally more difficult to be approved once you are married to a Canadian.

She should definitely show proof of employment and include a leave letter from her employer indicating they know she is going to take a vacation for a few weeks.

The fact her parents own the house and land won't be considered as a tie since this isn't her property, but theirs.

She should include a bank statement as well with her savings. If she has previous travel to countries requiring visas such as the US or UK, she should show that as well.

Good luck.

Reactions: akshayar640

prakhyyy

Star Member
Feb 25, 2022
Toronto
Category........
Other
I would suggest to apply for a TRV right away before getting married to avoid lot of stuff . Get some other friend invite her with whom you can produce some sort of proof of relationship .

Just an opinion.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Agree that you should apply now. If you get married before visa gets approved/refused you’ll need to update her TRV application and indicate you’re now married to a Canadian PR.

akshayar640

Jan 16, 2018
Thanks!
I would suggest to apply for a TRV right away before getting married to avoid lot of stuff . Get some other friend invite her with whom you can produce some sort of proof of relationship .

Just an opinion.
Thanks, I will ask her to apply for TRV now. When you said get another friend to invite her to produce a proof of relationship, what do you mean? I have a friend here who is a working professional with a PR. Does she need to invite her? What reason is the best for invitation? TIA.

prakhyyy

Star Member
Feb 25, 2022
Toronto
Category........
Other
Thanks!

Thanks, I will ask her to apply for TRV now. When you said get another friend to invite her to produce a proof of relationship, what do you mean? I have a friend here who is a working professional with a PR. Does she need to invite her? What reason is the best for invitation? TIA.
I mean If you invite her to visit , proof of relationship looks more like a dating relationship more than friends . ( in my case it was arranged marriage so kind of hard to prove) .

If she has any friends in canada who can invite her that would be more help in my opinion ( like cousins , someone from same school or college where you can produce school certificates and pictures together as proof of relationship - which would make the case stronger ).

akshayar640

Jan 16, 2018
I mean If you invite her to visit , proof of relationship looks more like a dating relationship more than friends . ( in my case it was arranged marriage so kind of hard to prove) .

If she has any friends in canada who can invite her that would be more help in my opinion ( like cousins , someone from same school or college where you can produce school certificates and pictures together as proof of relationship - which would make the case stronger ).
Understood. She does have a cousin who stays here on Work Permit. I will ask him to invite her, hopefully we can gather all the proofs.

I have another question regarding the funds. Her cousin is fairly new to Canada and does not have funds to sponsor her trip. She doesn't have much in her account as liquid cash either. Her dad can transfer her something like $10000 CAD. With proper letter of explanation, is that ok?

prakhyyy

Star Member
Feb 25, 2022
Toronto
Category........
Other
Understood. She does have a cousin who stays here on Work Permit. I will ask him to invite her, hopefully we can gather all the proofs.

I have another question regarding the funds. Her cousin is fairly new to Canada and does not have funds to sponsor her trip. She doesn't have much in her account as liquid cash either. Her dad can transfer her something like $10000 CAD. With proper letter of explanation, is that ok?
I think that is okay and she might just need to include a letter from her dad to IRCC mentioning its a gift to sponsor her trip and at free will .

akshayar640

Jan 16, 2018
Hello,

I applied for visitor visa for my fiancee on Mar 21st. Biometrics request was immediate and got completed quickly but no update after that so far. We are getting married end of this Month so I hope we get a positive response before that. But just in case we don't, I was wondering what my next steps are.

My Fiancee is planning to resign soon after the wedding since she has a 3 month notice period (!). From what I understand, that will reduce her ties to India and with me being her husband in Canada will make it even more difficult to get her the visitor visa. But if I apply outland PR for her, and then apply for visitor visa, will her unemployment state affect the visitor visa application? Basically, does she still need to have a job in India to apply for visitor visa when her PR application is in progress?

Thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,

I applied for visitor visa for my fiancee on Mar 21st. Biometrics request was immediate and got completed quickly but no update after that so far. We are getting married end of this Month so I hope we get a positive response before that. But just in case we don't, I was wondering what my next steps are.

My Fiancee is planning to resign soon after the wedding since she has a 3 month notice period (!). From what I understand, that will reduce her ties to India and with me being her husband in Canada will make it even more difficult to get her the visitor visa. But if I apply outland PR for her, and then apply for visitor visa, will her unemployment state affect the visitor visa application? Basically, does she still need to have a job in India to apply for visitor visa when her PR application is in progress?

Thanks
If you get married she will need to send in her webform updating her status to married and your information. She doesn’t need to a job but if her TRV gets denied and wants to apply for a TRV again a job does help because it creates ties.

prakhyyy

Star Member
Feb 25, 2022
Toronto
Category........
Other
Hello,

Thanks
I think if the visitor visa is denied , the next option will be to apply for Spousal sponsorship. start collecting all required documents as you need them any ways even for inland or outland.

Job is not mandatory for visitor visa or sponsorship. But having a job can increase ties to home country which is one of the main criteria for visitor visas,
If you quit job after applying for visitor visa and awaiting decision, I guess you dont have to do anything ,
If you quit job after applying for PR and awaiting decision, You might want to raise a webform and inform the change in circumstances , even though job is not a priority aspect for spousal sponsorship unlike express entry.

akshayar640

Jan 16, 2018
Thanks I'll keep that in mind. The application status still shows submitted even after almost a month after applying. I'm starting to wonder if something is wrong. Is there anyway I can send a request to expidite or a reminder? I've heard of people getting their visas usually within 20 days.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thanks I'll keep that in mind. The application status still shows submitted even after almost a month after applying. I'm starting to wonder if something is wrong. Is there anyway I can send a request to expidite or a reminder? I've heard of people getting their visas usually within 20 days.
Nothing is wrong and No way to expedite. Processing times depends on country processing times. 20 days is possible for some people under CAN+ for example.

akshayar640

Jan 16, 2018
Hello again,

Just a quick recap of my progress so far before my next question -

My fiancee submitted her Visitor Visa application on the pretext of visiting her cousin who's in Canada. Our wedding is in a couple of days from now and her application is still in "Submitted" state. We were hoping and praying to our lucky stars that she gets the visa before the wedding but it doesn't look like its happening with just a few days left before I need to register our marriage and leave to Canada.

After the marriage registration, does she need to update the application after we are married indicating that she is no longer single? Will she have to disclose the fact that I am a PR holder in Canada? I am afraid that will increase her ties to Canada and decrease her ties to India. Is there anything we can do to retain her chances of getting the approval after the change in her relationship status? Or Do you think we should withdraw the application altogether and apply for a sponsorship PR for her? Any tips or pointers welcome. Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: RajdeepC

prakhyyy

Star Member
Feb 25, 2022
Toronto
Category........
Other
Hello again,

Just a quick recap of my progress so far before my next question -

My fiancee submitted her Visitor Visa application on the pretext of visiting her cousin who's in Canada. Our wedding is in a couple of days from now and her application is still in "Submitted" state. We were hoping and praying to our lucky stars that she gets the visa before the wedding but it doesn't look like its happening with just a few days left before I need to register our marriage and leave to Canada.

After the marriage registration, does she need to update the application after we are married indicating that she is no longer single? Will she have to disclose the fact that I am a PR holder in Canada? I am afraid that will increase her ties to Canada and decrease her ties to India. Is there anything we can do to retain her chances of getting the approval after the change in her relationship status? Or Do you think we should withdraw the application altogether and apply for a sponsorship PR for her? Any tips or pointers welcome. Thanks!
As per my knowledge, I dont think you need to update the marital status for visitor visa . Its based on the status as on application date. Give it a month or two and if you still dont get any decision . its better to withdraw and start fresh applications as married.