+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Challenges/Problems a new female immigrant may face in Canada?

ANEELA

Dec 28, 2012
Would you discuss here about the problems a single female new immigrant can face in Canada? and how to cope/manage /overcome to these one?

ANEELA

Dec 28, 2012
Re: Problems a single female new immigrant can face in Canada?

ANEELA said:
Would you discuss here about the problems a single female new immigrant can face in Canada? and how to cope/manage /overcome to these one?
anyone

Gillani

Star Member
Oct 25, 2010

ANEELA said:
Miss Aneela

How r u I Hope u would be fine.if u have got immigration to Canada then first of all congratulation .i would like to tell you nothing happens to a single female in Canada .every thing goes fine for them.so u please relax and be happy.i know a lady who went alone and is doing very well .by the way where r u from r u from Pakistan.

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

There will not be any problems being a single female immigrant in Canada. There are plenty of single women on work permit in Canada and there are too many foreign single student girls on study permit, living peacefully. As a precaution it would be better to get some advance information about the place where she is planning to settle down when landed. If possible make arrangement for a safe accommodation with the help of any relatives (if any) or friends, where there is easy access to public transport and shopping malls.

You may get some useful advice and guidance through this forum from generous members.

smshussain

Star Member
Jul 14, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-03-2010
AOR Received.
29-08-2010
Med's Request
08-11-2012
Passport Req..
08-11-2012
VISA ISSUED...
Docs+PP sent  : 22-11-2012
LANDED..........
March 11, 2013

ANEELA said:
Hey Aneela,

Most of us have yet not travel to Canada and would not be aware about potential challenges a female may face. it would be advisable to ask senior member of this forum like Qorax to have an expert view. thanks

cocknbull

Champion Member
Jan 20, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

Hi!

Be positive and think positive. As such there are no problems to be faced by single male or female in Canada. Canada is a free country with equal rights and opportunities. Its not like our 3rd world country Pakistan, India or Bangladesh where women are suppressed. You will be free to walk or travel in bus or look for job/accommodation, shopping etc. Nobody would stare or give a bad look except from an isolated incident. Only be careful when travelling or walking alone at nights as some mishap can occur but again that is only possible in some bad areas of city. You can easily live and work as pointed out by Wilson and I know some girls from this forum who immigrated alone to Canada and are doing good. So relax and every thing will be ok. A single female who has already immigrated to Canada can tell you more..Good luck to you.. :)

bongcan

Dec 29, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo/Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-05-2010
Doc's Request.
04-11-2010
AOR Received.
23-05-2011
Med's Request
14-12-2012
Med's Done....
22-01-2013
Passport Req..
08-05-2013
VISA ISSUED...
23-05-2013
LANDED..........
24-07-2013

Well, Canadian cities (even dowtown core) is relatively more safer than US. But like any place, exercise caution. As far as the largest city there Toronto goes, you can travel in public transit even in very late night single (even the bus or train driver may be a lady). But some areas are bad and should be avoided. Normally, from my experience, I would rate Toronto far more secure than its some of its US counterparts (including the city where I am residing since I left Toronto). I knew one of my former female colleague (single) stayed over 4 yrs before she tied her knot and didnt encounter even single issue and she used to travel a lot.

ANEELA

Dec 28, 2012

cocknbull said:
Hi!

Be positive and think positive. As such there are no problems to be faced by single male or female in Canada. Canada is a free country with equal rights and opportunities. Its not like our 3rd world country Pakistan, India or Bangladesh where women are suppressed. You will be free to walk or travel in bus or look for job/accommodation, shopping etc. Nobody would stare or give a bad look except from an isolated incident. Only be careful when travelling or walking alone at nights as some mishap can occur but again that is only possible in some bad areas of city. You can easily live and work as pointed out by Wilson and I know some girls from this forum who immigrated alone to Canada and are doing good. So relax and every thing will be ok. A single female who has already immigrated to Canada can tell you more..Good luck to you.. :)
Bhai I did not mean here any negative in my question .I was just asking for any problem/ potential challenge.
Thank you and 1 for all of you

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

In my opinion problems are every where in the world but comparatively Canada is one among few safe country for trouble free living. Most of the condos/apartments have 24 hrs security with restricted entry to visitors. Individual houses are either equipped with burglar alarms or surveillance cameras. Still isolated cases of theft, assault or molestation were seen in the media. My advice is to keep a good circle of friend ship, cautiously deal with strangers and try to avoid travelling alone in late night.

ANEELA

Dec 28, 2012

wilson said:
In my opinion problems are every where in the world but comparatively Canada is one among few safe country for trouble free living. Most of the condos/apartments have 24 hrs security with restricted entry to visitors. Individual houses are either equipped with burglar alarms or surveillance cameras. Still isolated cases of theft, assault or molestation were seen in the media. My advice is to keep a good circle of friend ship, cautiously deal with strangers and try to avoid travelling alone in late night.
I appreciate and oblige your suggestions wilson ,have a wonderful weekend

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

Thank you very much.

shells

Nov 14, 2012
Surrey, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-08-2012
AOR Received.
04-09-2012
IELTS Request
Sent Together
File Transfer...
04-09-2012

I'm in the midst of applying for CEC, so I can't call myself an immigrant (been here only since 2008, but on student visa, then post-graduate work permit. I got to know my fiancé in late 2009, went through a few jobs, and am now doing CEC.

Learn to be street smart. If you are not sure what a situation is; observe more first, speak less. People are kind and nice in general, but take things with a pinch of salt (especially some people who come up to you out of the blue). If you are nervous about making friends at first or don't know where to go, http://www.meetup.com is a good place to search for activities and interest groups in your area. You can even find your own community group sometimes (Race/Nationality/Asians in general, etc...). I'm a member of a few groups in Vancouver (people hang out in a big group - both men and women, and always in a very casual mood). So far I only have pleasant experiences (I've been using it for two years now). If you find a group you like, just go to their gatherings two or three times first to give it a try.. It only gets easier each time. If you don't like it.. You ain't losing anything. :). But if you say you will attend a meeting, make sure you go.. If you have change of plans, just inform at least 24hrs in advance.. They hate people who do not show up without informing.. In stricter groups, you get kicked out of the group immediately.

My first two years was very difficult.. I often questioned myself if I made the right decision by coming to Canada.. But I was determined not to let circumstances get me.. I will win whatever difficult situation is given to me.. Cried a lot, grit my teeth, stuck to it. Anyway, I'm still alive and kicking.. Haha! Made lots of new friends in the process and my life feels very much richer!

Good luck, girl! You can do it!!!

ANEELA

Dec 28, 2012

shells said:
I'm in the midst of applying for CEC, so I can't call myself an immigrant (been here only since 2008, but on student visa, then post-graduate work permit. I got to know my fiancé in late 2009, went through a few jobs, and am now doing CEC.

Learn to be street smart. If you are not sure what a situation is; observe more first, speak less. People are kind and nice in general, but take things with a pinch of salt (especially some people who come up to you out of the blue). If you are nervous about making friends at first or don't know where to go, http://www.meetup.com is a good place to search for activities and interest groups in your area. You can even find your own community group sometimes (Race/Nationality/Asians in general, etc...). I'm a member of a few groups in Vancouver (people hang out in a big group - both men and women, and always in a very casual mood). So far I only have pleasant experiences (I've been using it for two years now). If you find a group you like, just go to their gatherings two or three times first to give it a try.. It only gets easier each time. If you don't like it.. You ain't losing anything. :). But if you say you will attend a meeting, make sure you go.. If you have change of plans, just inform at least 24hrs in advance.. They hate people who do not show up without informing.. In stricter groups, you get kicked out of the group immediately.

My first two years was very difficult.. I often questioned myself if I made the right decision by coming to Canada.. But I was determined not to let circumstances get me.. I will win whatever difficult situation is given to me.. Cried a lot, grit my teeth, stuck to it. Anyway, I'm still alive and kicking.. Haha! Made lots of new friends in the process and my life feels very much richer!

Good luck, girl! You can do it!!!
Thank you for so helpful tips.

greeki78

Star Member
Jun 23, 2010
I'm a single female and I moved to canada in oct 2o12.

If you're single then go for room sharing or apt sharing cuz that would be inexpensive
The biggest challenge is getting a job as per ur experience n education.First few months of ur arrival be ready to do any kind of job.
get used to the whether,subways,roads n food.

All put together in one statement "Get accustomed to the Canadian way of life."