+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CGA Designation

Oct 11, 2014
I got PR visa stamped in May under FSW NOC category 1212 and intend to land in Edmonton in August 2015. I have twenty years of banking experience in Sri Lanka. I am an ACCA member with a BSc in Accounting. According to the MRA between ACCA and CGA Canada, I can directly get the CGA membership after puchasing Canadian Law and Tax subjects without doing any exams.

But to get the CGA membership I have to pay $1800 including the CGA annual membership fee which is $800.

I need know whether it is worth to get the CGA membership by incurring the above cost. Further, will the CGA designation help me to find a job easily.

justinline

May 19, 2009
I would say go ahead and do it. For jobs 3 things count......your experience, education and credentials, then how you sell that. Give them atleast one thing which employers here are comfortable with. Not saying your experience doesn't count or you wont be able to sell it, unfortuantely such is the attitude here that they dont give much weightage to foreign expereince or education.

I am in IT but work with lot of accountants and analysts. Every one here has a certification or pursuing one. So eat the cost and see it as investment.