+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CFA and other professional exams w/ PGWP

iunno

Apr 5, 2012
Does anyone here have any experience with taking professional exams while on a post-grad work permit? Similar to mine, I assume everyone has the following condition:

"Unless authorized, prohibited from attending any educational institution and taking any academic, professional or vocational training course."

For anyone who's not familiar with the CFA exams, they're literally just that: exams (3 in total). They provide you with the course material (either electronic or print), and you study at your own pace and take the exam. Or you can just not show up and take the exam at the next offering. There's a suggest curriculum, but you don't have to follow it. It's purely your own choice. The only thing that concerns me is that once you pass all 3, and you have the necessary experience, you can obtain the charter and your professional designation.

I'd like to register for the June offering in September, but I want to know if this would be violating the terms on my work permit. I called CIC and I was advised that any course that's offered outside of Canada does not require the need for a study permit. In the case of the CFA exams, because the CFA designation is recognized worldwide, they have test centres around the world for the same exam, on the same day.

Any insight would be much appreciated! It doesn't help that my division got bought out by another and I'd like to improve my skillset by going down the CFA designation route because I'm already terribly stressed out about my PR application that's in process!

xecuter

Star Member
Oct 13, 2012
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
iunno said:
Does anyone here have any experience with taking professional exams while on a post-grad work permit? Similar to mine, I assume everyone has the following condition:

"Unless authorized, prohibited from attending any educational institution and taking any academic, professional or vocational training course."

For anyone who's not familiar with the CFA exams, they're literally just that: exams (3 in total). They provide you with the course material (either electronic or print), and you study at your own pace and take the exam. Or you can just not show up and take the exam at the next offering. There's a suggest curriculum, but you don't have to follow it. It's purely your own choice. The only thing that concerns me is that once you pass all 3, and you have the necessary experience, you can obtain the charter and your professional designation.

I'd like to register for the June offering in September, but I want to know if this would be violating the terms on my work permit. I called CIC and I was advised that any course that's offered outside of Canada does not require the need for a study permit. In the case of the CFA exams, because the CFA designation is recognized worldwide, they have test centres around the world for the same exam, on the same day.

Any insight would be much appreciated! It doesn't help that my division got bought out by another and I'd like to improve my skillset by going down the CFA designation route because I'm already terribly stressed out about my PR application that's in process!
This will not violate any of your PGWP conditions. Take your CFA exams and you will be fine.

Good luck!

Bend

Jun 25, 2013
Hi guys- I know this is an old thread, but wondering whether someone can help clarify or confirm that professional exams given without going to any educational institute could be given under a PGWP? I am getting really concerned.

DotAdé

Apr 21, 2018
Hello,
I'm in a similar boat. I've been studying (online self study) for the APICS (now ASCM) Certified Supply Chain Professional exam. I'm scheduled to write it this month but I need to be certain I won't be violating any conditions on my PGWP.
I'd appreciate any info or references please.
Thank you.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,
I'm in a similar boat. I've been studying (online self study) for the APICS (now ASCM) Certified Supply Chain Professional exam. I'm scheduled to write it this month but I need to be certain I won't be violating any conditions on my PGWP.
I'd appreciate any info or references please.
Thank you.
You're good. It's not a violation. You are free to take certification exams.

Reactions: Bend

Bend

Jun 25, 2013
You're good. It's not a violation. You are free to take certification exams.
Thank you so much Scylla for writing on this point, it is such a relief to hear that! Just one more question, where should I mention about these exams, in the personal history section? I gave these with full-time work, and one while networking. Should I mention these details? I don't want to leave out anything important.

Thank you for your help, really appreciate it.