+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Certified True Copy - Marriage Certificate

rauf12

Apr 26, 2014
Hi Friends,
I have a question about my "marriage certificate". I am a PR and applying for my wife sponsorship who is living outside Canada. First of all, my marriage certificate is originally in English (it's not TRANSLATED). But it's "Authenticated" by Notary public of my country (seal & signature/designation and on top it says the word - "Authenticated")) along with marriage registrar (seal & signature/designation)

Now, I'm looking into application guide
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5289ETOC.asp

Section:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Certified true copies
To have a photocopy of a document certified, an authorized person must compare the original document to the photocopy and must print the following on the photocopy:

“I certify that this is a true copy of the original document”,
the name of the original document,
the date of the certification,
his or her name,
his or her official position or title, and
his or her signature.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

My problem here is - in the Notary Public seal on my marriage certificate it says "Authenticated" not "I certify that this is a true copy of the original document" as mentioned above. Also it does not mention "the name of the original document". I want to mention that I have given a front or cover page type of doc from Notary public where it has combinations of words like "I hereby authenticate/attested/certified the instrument/affidavit...with notary public seal/signature.

Now question whether "marriage certificate" meets the requirement of application. If not, I have original copy (notarized already as I said) with me. Can I get it notarized/certified by Canadian lawyer. Please let me know. Apologize for long post.

desertFlower

Apr 13, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Cairo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-04-2016
AOR Received.
25-05-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
09-08-2016
Passport Req..
09-08-2016
VISA ISSUED...
17-08-2016
LANDED..........
21-08-2016
Hi there!

I'm sure that would be Ok since it's made by a notary, with he's identification!!!
For mine, I made my copy in Canada, only went to the city hall to meet registrar, who is also Commissioner for Oaths.
I brought my original and a copy, and he put a stamp on my copy and signed it.

viva-c

Star Member
Jan 6, 2016
Toronto, ON
It is my understanding that copies of marriage certificates, birth certificates, etc. only need to be certified if they are NOT in English and are accompanied by a translation (which also must be certified). If they are in English, it is my understanding that a regular photocopy suffices.
Can someone confirm this?

rauf12

Apr 26, 2014
Thank you guys. In document check list, it's just mentioned photocopy - it didn't explicitly say "certified true copy". I'll submit what I have now.

Sous02

Jul 25, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-04-16
Doc's Request.
22-08-2016
AOR Received.
06-05-16
File Transfer...
28-05-16
Med's Done....
Up front/passed
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
10-10-2016
VISA ISSUED...
17-10-2016
LANDED..........
02-11-2016
viva-c said:
It is my understanding that copies of marriage certificates, birth certificates, etc. only need to be certified if they are NOT in English and are accompanied by a translation (which also must be certified). If they are in English, it is my understanding that a regular photocopy suffices.
Can someone confirm this?
The only document regardless of language that does not have to be notarized is the passport. All other copies of documents on the required list need to be first notarized as a true copy and then if needed translated into English and certified by the translator. Important to notice the difference between notarized and certified

poetrydiva

Apr 4, 2017
Arkansas, USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
03-07-2017
Doc's Request.
06-10-2017
AOR Received.
26-09-2017
Med's Request
18-01-2018
is that outbound country specific? The checklist I have for US to Canada immigration doesn't mention anything about the photocopies needing to be notarized.

Sous02

Jul 25, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-04-16
Doc's Request.
22-08-2016
AOR Received.
06-05-16
File Transfer...
28-05-16
Med's Done....
Up front/passed
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
10-10-2016
VISA ISSUED...
17-10-2016
LANDED..........
02-11-2016
poetrydiva said:
is that outbound country specific? The checklist I have for US to Canada immigration doesn't mention anything about the photocopies needing to be notarized.
It applies to all copies that are required documents. Inland or outland

JenTex

Nov 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-01-2017
Doc's Request.
10-03-2017
AOR Received.
18-02-2017
File Transfer...
01-03-2017
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
11-10-2016
Sous02 said:
It applies to all copies that are required documents. Inland or outland
Must be country specific. I am also from the US and didn't have to have anything certified or notarized. Just copies.

Sous02

Jul 25, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-04-16
Doc's Request.
22-08-2016
AOR Received.
06-05-16
File Transfer...
28-05-16
Med's Done....
Up front/passed
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
10-10-2016
VISA ISSUED...
17-10-2016
LANDED..........
02-11-2016
JenTex said:
Must be country specific. I am also from the US and didn't have to have anything certified or notarized. Just copies.
The crazy thing about this process is that so much comes down to the officer on your case. It also depends on the countries involved and the individual circumstances. Best to be certain by notarizing.

CanadianZenGirl

Jan 24, 2017
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
29-12-2016
AOR Received.
17-01-2017
File Transfer...
10-03-2017
Med's Request
Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-06-2017
VISA ISSUED...
21-06-2017
LANDED..........
23-06-2017
Our papers were in English. We didn't have anything notarized. It was all fine.

deveryv

Jan 26, 2018
Hi everyone. I just submitted my package on Tuesday and UPS said they signed for it on Wednesday. Hope to get confirmation soon. I think I made a mistake with the translation, or lack of translation. The first and only mention on the DOCUMENTS CHECKLIST of documents requiring translation is on page 6. Since "translation" is not mentioned anywhere else I assumed this is only for the emails and WhatsApp conversations, etc. So my wife's birth certificate + ID nor those of her family are translated, and our marriage certificate is in Spanish (from the Dominican Republic). We will have them all translated ASAP, but since we already submitted the application, does anyone have suggestions?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi everyone. I just submitted my package on Tuesday and UPS said they signed for it on Wednesday. Hope to get confirmation soon. I think I made a mistake with the translation, or lack of translation. The first and only mention on the DOCUMENTS CHECKLIST of documents requiring translation is on page 6. Since "translation" is not mentioned anywhere else I assumed this is only for the emails and WhatsApp conversations, etc. So my wife's birth certificate + ID nor those of her family are translated, and our marriage certificate is in Spanish (from the Dominican Republic). We will have them all translated ASAP, but since we already submitted the application, does anyone have suggestions?
Hi

It is clearly stated in the guide that documents need to be translated. Your app will be returned.

Bwatanabe81

Jan 25, 2020
Im not sure if this is the right place or not. I have been trying to find out how i can get my marriage certificate. I was married in canada and divorced. I moved back to the US but never recieved a marriage certificate. I need one with a seal on it. Does anyone know where i have to go through to get this?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Im not sure if this is the right place or not. I have been trying to find out how i can get my marriage certificate. I was married in canada and divorced. I moved back to the US but never recieved a marriage certificate. I need one with a seal on it. Does anyone know where i have to go through to get this?
Provincial authority in the province where you married.