+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Certified Translator or not?

canswede

Oct 1, 2008
Hello

I am a Canadian citizen sponsoring my Swedish wife.

Has anyone experiences regarding translators (certified) and/or having documents translated through their lawyers office. My wife's lawyer office will translate and get notarized her documents (from Swedish to English) or she will have to take them all 2 hours south and have an "official certified translator" who charges much much more for "each" word.
Does anyone think that the first case would suffice, to have her lawyers office translate (which they do there) and notarize her documents?
Greatly appreciate this forum, well done and very helpful

thank you

Canswede

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I used a certified translator when I did mine to get that official stamp. Otherwise I could have translated it myself. When in doubt call and ask CIC but I would assume they want a certified translator.

kayleemiller

Aug 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As according to me solute must and that every translator working professionally should go through the certification process for their region.The purpose of such validation is to impose personal responsibility for the content of a translation, which appears for an accepting party as the actual information contained in a document.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
canswede said:
Has anyone experiences regarding translators (certified) and/or having documents translated through their lawyers office. My wife's lawyer office will translate and get notarized her documents (from Swedish to English) or she will have to take them all 2 hours south and have an "official certified translator" who charges much much more for "each" word.
Does anyone think that the first case would suffice, to have her lawyers office translate (which they do there) and notarize her documents?
I'd go with the official certified translator for all official documents, such as the marriage certificate, and use the lawyer's office for translating less important things, such as emails.

miguelre

Nov 28, 2009
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canswede said:

thank you

Canswede

we translated everything ourselves and then took the documents (police certificate from spain, the common-law thing, and something else that i cant remember now) to the notary at Rachel's bank and he did it for free. but yeah, we did all the translations.

try that and save some money, we had no issues with it.

good luck.

I

iarblue

CP 12 - Documents
2008-06-16 6
• documents translated by other Canadian government departments or agencies, or provincial
or territorial government departments or agencies
2.5. Who may translate documents
Any person, other than a family member, may translate a document in support of a citizenship
application. A family member is defined, for the purposes of this policy, as being a: parent,
guardian, sibling, spouse, grandparent, child, aunt, uncle, niece, nephew or first cousin. This
policy also applies to an applicant’s spouse (if applicable), that is, a spouse’s brother, sister, etc.
cannot translate a document for an applicant.
Applicants must obtain, pay for, and supply acceptable translations of foreign documents.
If an applicant does not provide an acceptable translation, hold the application until you receive
an acceptable translation, or follow the abandonment procedures, if applicable. See CP 13,
Section 6 – Abandonment.
2.6. Suspicious documents or translations
Send documents or translations suspected of being fraudulent for official translation by the
departmental translation unit.
If documents or translations are found to be fraudulent, send them to Case Management Branch.

As you see it says family members can not translate for you this includes you.But your lawyer can do it as he just has to certify it is true to the original.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
iarblue said:
Applicants must obtain, pay for, and supply acceptable translations of foreign documents.
If an applicant does not provide an acceptable translation, hold the application until you receive
an acceptable translation, or follow the abandonment procedures, if applicable.
Thanks for this info.
It says 'hold the app until you receive an acceptable translation ..." so if you are trying to save money (which I would be doing, given the prices certified translators often charge) I would just submit the translations you have, even if done by a family member, and hope they will be accepted. This pertains only to supporting docs, though; official docs should be translated properly. Lots of people on this forum have submitted translations of supporting evidence such as emails that they or a family member did, and no on has reported any problems with it.