+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Certified translation of a LOT of documents

profugus

Nov 25, 2017
Cheers, refugees! May I join you? I mean literally.

I am soon going to apply for asylum. To prove that I was actually persecuted in an otherwise "safe" country, I have to present about 1000 pages of official documents to the IRB. They have already been translated to English. However, the translations are not certified, and that may be a problem.

Hiring a certified translator service is out of question. The best offer I got was about $ 50,000. If I had this kind of money, I'd buy my own country and be done with this ordeal. Here are the options I have, which one would you recommend?

1. I can hire a Canadian citizen/PR who can speak my language (there are a lot of them here) and ask him to go to a notary in Toronto and sign an affidavit that the translation is correct. The affidavit would contain a list of the documents, with short description of their contents and exact number of pages in the original and the translation. I already have someone who'd do this for $ 500.

2. I can hire someone or ask a friend in my home country to do the same.

3. I can ask the same friend to go to the Canadian consulate (we have no proper embassy) and ask the embassy officials to certify the translation. However I don't think they'd gladly do almost 1000 pages!

Bonus question: If an affidavit is made at a notary:

- should the notary also certify every single page of the translation?
- or is it enough if the translator puts a signature or a stamp on each page?
- or is it OK if the documents just match the description and the number of pages in the affidavit?

Disclaimer: I definitely don't plan any kind of fraud. The translations would be actually verified. I am a professional translator myself.