+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Certificate of Achievement for PGWP

rs929

Jan 16, 2019
Hello, i am an international student currently enrolled in a graduate certificate program duration 1 year started fall 2019. I was planning to apply for another program which is 3D modeling and visual effects at Humber college fall 2020. This program is "Certificate of Achievement" duration 8 months.
Does anyone know that if this program is eligible for PGWP. Am i eligible for 3 years work permit after 2 programs of 8 months.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
The elgibility requirements for a PGWP are based on 2 main factors 1)that a college qualifies 2)that the course is 8 months or longer.

You say 2 programs of 8 months do you actually mean that the prospectus indicates 8 months and the completion letter will also indicate 8 months or are these courses one year courses where the actual attendance is 8 months ?

If 2x 8 months courses then as I read below link you might get 16 months PGWP, you need 2x1 year couses for anything near 3 years

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/post-graduation-work-permit-program.html

Note see this previous post ref certificate of achievement also at Humber as seems some doubt whether this would qualify towards a PGWP anyway.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/is-certificate-of-achievement-course-at-humber-eligible-for-pgwp.570685/

In the HUmber prospectus (pages 14/15) it actually has this footnote against the specific 3 D course

Students pursuing these programs are NOT eligible for postgraduate work experience in Canada.

https://international.humber.ca/assets/files/pdf/HUM_18046_International_Viewbook_FNL_AODA_NOV2018.pdf

Last edited:
Reactions: meister

rs929

Jan 16, 2019
The elgibility requirements for a PGWP are based on 2 main factors 1)that a college qualifies 2)that the course is 8 months or longer.

You say 2 programs of 8 months do you actually mean that the prospectus indicates 8 months and the completion letter will also indicate 8 months or are these courses one year courses where the actual attendance is 8 months ?

If 2x 8 months courses then as I read below link you might get 16 months PGWP, you need 2x1 year couses for anything near 3 years

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/post-graduation-work-permit-program.html

Note see this previous post ref certificate of achievement also at Humber as seems some doubt whether this would qualify towards a PGWP anyway.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/is-certificate-of-achievement-course-at-humber-eligible-for-pgwp.570685/

In the HUmber prospectus (pages 14/15) it actually has this footnote against the specific 3 D course

Students pursuing these programs are NOT eligible for postgraduate work experience in Canada.

https://international.humber.ca/assets/files/pdf/HUM_18046_International_Viewbook_FNL_AODA_NOV2018.pdf
Thankyou for the reply and links. The program i am currently enrolled in is 1 year PG program of 2 semesters started fall 2019. The offer letters says 1 year.
The second program i am planning to enroll says 2 semester on the website i will call the college and ask if the program length is 8 months or 1 year.

rs929

Jan 16, 2019

Also the prospectus has a different condition on the 3D Modelling and Visual Effects Production program.
And if you look at the bottom of page 15th "Students pursuing these programs are NOT eligible for postgraduate work experience in Canada." this condition has a cross sign whereas 3D modeling program has 1 written on it.

tonkih

Jan 12, 2020
Thankyou for the reply and links. The program i am currently enrolled in is 1 year PG program of 2 semesters started fall 2019. The offer letters says 1 year.
The second program i am planning to enroll says 2 semester on the website i will call the college and ask if the program length is 8 months or 1 year.
Hello !
Also interested in 3D modelling program.
Did you contact college about duration (1 year ?)
About PGWP after this course. In international viewbook 20/21 i found :
3D Modelling and Visual Effects Production& and Students pursuing these programs may not be eligible for postgraduate work experience in Canada.
Have you got new info from college ?

Beasy

Jan 13, 2020
Same here. It is strange since the program fills all the requirements set by IRCC.

• It is 8 months long, two semesters Sep-Jan, Jan-Apr. (Confirmed with Humber)
  • Leads to a certificate.
  • And it is in the DLI list.
Still Humber is unsure and advices to read the viewbook footnote that sais:
Students pursuing these programs may not be eligible for postgraduate work experience in Canada.

They also suggested to Call IRCC, but the will just advice to read the PGWP Info site and there it says it needs to fill the 3 above named requirements.

Such a crazy loop.

If someone finished this course and applied for a PGWP successfully please respond, you will help us out greatly !

Beasy

Jan 13, 2020
Also the prospectus has a different condition on the 3D Modelling and Visual Effects Production program.
And if you look at the bottom of page 15th "Students pursuing these programs are NOT eligible for postgraduate work experience in Canada." this condition has a cross sign whereas 3D modeling program has 1 written on it.
Yes you are right. But they changed it in the 20/21 Viewbook. Now it has a "&"sign that sais it might not be eligible.

tonkih

Jan 12, 2020
Same here. It is strange since the program fills all the requirements set by IRCC.

• It is 8 months long, two semesters Sep-Jan, Jan-Apr. (Confirmed with Humber)
  • Leads to a certificate.
  • And it is in the DLI list.
Still Humber is unsure and advices to read the viewbook footnote that sais:
Students pursuing these programs may not be eligible for postgraduate work experience in Canada.

They also suggested to Call IRCC, but the will just advice to read the PGWP Info site and there it says it needs to fill the 3 above named requirements.

Such a crazy loop.

If someone finished this course and applied for a PGWP successfully please respond, you will help us out greatly !
I wrote directly to Humber. Waiting for an answer. Officials from Humber said to you, that they unsure ?

Beasy

Jan 13, 2020
I wrote directly to Humber. Waiting for an answer. Officials from Humber said to you, that they unsure ?
They told me the program is 8 months. But unsure if it leeds to a PGWP that’s why they said I should contact IRCC for more info.

tonkih

Jan 12, 2020
They told me the program is 8 months. But unsure if it leeds to a PGWP that’s why they said I should contact IRCC for more info.
Such the strange thing, that they dont know about program. Also asked them about difference with Ontario Certificate.
Due to info by IRCC site it's perfectly fine

Reactions: Beasy

Beasy

Jan 13, 2020
Such the strange thing, that they dont know about program. Also asked them about difference with Ontario Certificate.
Due to info by IRCC site it's perfectly fine
Yes, you are right. According to IRCC it is fine since it fills all requirements . But there is a reason that Humber they has the footnote. But Humber wouldn’t tell me why. Its really frustrating. I read in another post that it’s up to an immigration officer, but that is also strange.

Please let us know what answer humber has to your questions.

Beasy

Jan 13, 2020
hi, could anyone please share the results from it?
thanks a lot
Yes we are able to apply for PGWP. But now with the new update on PGWP and online delivery, if you cant do 50% of your course in Canada you will not be able to get a PGWP.

sanjithbm

Aug 2, 2020
Yes we are able to apply for PGWP. But now with the new update on PGWP and online delivery, if you cant do 50% of your course in Canada you will not be able to get a PGWP.
Can you tel me more ? No hurdle in getting pgwp for the course right? Certificate of achievement