+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Ceremony oath outside Canada possible ?

Prats

Sep 28, 2011
Hi

I am a PR who will be applying for the Citizenship under the new law. After successfully passing the test, I wish to leave CA for a long time. I was wondering if I can take the oath in the embassy in my home country (New Delhi, India) ? I am quite sick and I don't think I will be in a position to return in 6 months time and I definitely don't want to delay the oath ceremony. If that is possible, then I would also like to apply for a CA passport while being there.

I was reading about Citizenship oath on the CIC site and came across this paragraph that made me think that it is possible to appear for the ceremony even outside Canada.

" Who is authorized to administer oaths?
In Canada, an authorized person is the Registrar, a citizenship judge, a citizenship officer, a commissioner for taking oaths, a notary public or a justice of the peace. Outside Canada, an authorized person is a foreign-service officer, a judge, a magistrate, an officer of a court of justice or a commissioner, authorized to administer oaths in the country in which the person is living. "

Thank you so much for your time !

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
I have been staring at Canada from the moon for the last 3 years and I plan to send in my citizenship application from the moon ... can I do the oath ceremony on the moon? Since I plan to stay on the moon for a long time ....

capermanet

Star Member
Jun 17, 2016
I have been staring at Canada from the moon for the last 3 years and I plan to send in my citizenship application from the moon ... can I do the oath ceremony on the moon? Since I plan to stay on the moon for a long time ....
well yes, please find a closes Canadian Embassy in there.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
You jest, but its a good question. Since there is no legal barrier to "applying on the way to the airport now," how would IRCC handle an applicant with an overseas (or interplanetary) address? How would such an application be processed? In what office?

blurryface236

Jan 4, 2016
:p OMG

This is exactly how this question sounds like

_MK_

Aug 20, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-01-2016
AOR Received.
09-04-2016
File Transfer...
23-06-2016
Med's Request
18-01-2017
Med's Done....
01-02-2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
Hi

I am a PR who will be applying for the Citizenship under the new law. After successfully passing the test, I wish to leave CA for a long time. I was wondering if I can take the oath in the embassy in my home country (New Delhi, India) ? I am quite sick and I don't think I will be in a position to return in 6 months time and I definitely don't want to delay the oath ceremony. If that is possible, then I would also like to apply for a CA passport while being there.

I was reading about Citizenship oath on the CIC site and came across this paragraph that made me think that it is possible to appear for the ceremony even outside Canada.

In Canada, an authorized person is the Registrar, a citizenship judge, a citizenship officer, a commissioner for taking oaths, a notary public or a justice of the peace. Outside Canada, an authorized person is a foreign-service officer, a judge, a magistrate, an officer of a court of justice or a commissioner, authorized to administer oaths in the country in which the person is living. "

There is no oath outside Canada. What you quoted, is for people who are resuming citizenship or getting proof of citizenship.
There is nothing stopping you from applying from abroad if you meet the requirements since you just mail the application to an address but the test/interview/oath is held inside Canada. If your application does proceed without RQ, you will need to fly back twice to take the test and oath.

Esther8642

Apr 18, 2023
Hi

I postponed my ceremony twice because i was outside of Canada. I was not allowed to take the oath abroad.So i return to Canada to get it. I attended the citizenship ceremony today. And you must be on Canada soil to take the oath. And Even during the online ceremony, the clerk check you are in Canada or not. I have too show the out of the window. If you are not in Canada, the ceremony will be delayed until you return to Canada.