+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Cerebral palsy person can pass the medical

belize

Dec 19, 2013
Dear all my friends,
I am applying my parents as sponsor by next month, and I have sister she is around 30 year of age, and completely depend on my parents, and not taking any medicine or any problem but stay home and helping my mom walk around doing everything her own, so I have to include her in my parents application as a depended. Please advise what problem we could face person has cerebral palsy issues, in medical and what kind of proof I have to show them that she is complete depend on my parents. Please give me your advise which is very special for our family. Thank you in advance.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
belize said:
Dear all my friends,
I am applying my parents as sponsor by next month, and I have sister she is around 30 year of age, and completely depend on my parents, and not taking any medicine or any problem but stay home and helping my mom walk around doing everything her own, so I have to include her in my parents application as a depended. Please advise what problem we could face person has cerebral palsy issues, in medical and what kind of proof I have to show them that she is complete depend on my parents. Please give me your advise which is very special for our family. Thank you in advance.
The potential issue that you have is she will be deemed inadmissible under A38 as "excessive demand". The question an officer will be asking is: "what are the anticipated social service and health care service costs associated with her condition." If you wish to be successful, it is advisable for you to work with one of the handful of attorneys specializing in excessive demand medical inadmissibility. If that is not an option for you, then you will need to be prepared to explain why your sister is not going to create excessive demand.

First, you aren't going to disagree that she has cerebral palsy, so there won't be a challenge to the medical officer's determination in this area. Instead, the issue will revolve around the costs associated with her care. My guess is they will estimate the costs as if she were being cared for at public expense. Your challenge will be to demonstrate that this will not be the case: that your parents are capable and willing to care for her (as well as you). The ability to properly describe these costs is vital to being successful at challenging a finding of excessive demand.

A solid response will also add two additional arguments, one of which CIC seems to normally ignore (but is sufficient for a Federal Court to overturn a refusal) and the second that I've recently constructed but as far as I know has never been presented.

(1) In a fairness letter response, you would request that if the visa officer still concludes your sister is inadmissible - and thus your parents are as well - that she or he grant them a Temporary Resident Permit so that you have an opportunity to demonstrate your good will in regards to not creating an excessive demand. You should also provide H&C grounds (family reunification, care for your parents, etc.) as justification. Note that there is a $200 per applicant fee for the TRP applications. If a TRP is granted, they would be permitted to come to Canada temporarily. After three years continuously in Canada on a TRP, they can apply for permanent residence in the "permit holder's class" (and note that it is not discretionary at that point with respect to the A38 issue). The Federal Court has overturned refusals in the past where the visa officer has failed to consider a TRP application request.

(2) In 2010 - after the date of IRPA - Canada signed the UN Convention on the Rights of People with Disabilities. http://www.un.org/disabilities/convention/signature.shtml

The argument is that this supersedes the considerations of A38 as it antedates IRPA. As far as I know, no one has ever presented this argument to CIC. While it is likely to be ignored, it will provide an interesting basis for a court challenge to an excessive demand refusal.

Properly responding to CIC with respect to A38 refusals requires a fair amount of time and education. I would suggest that you start with OP 15 "Medical Procedures", which is on the CIC website. It explains the process CIC is supposed to follow.

Reactions: Mrs. Santiago

Yelsew

Star Member
Apr 24, 2013
London, ON
Excellent post, computergeek.

As some readers likely know, the Supreme Court's decisions in Hilewitz and de Jong forced CIC to broaden its assessment of disability and excessive demand, and to look at each case individually. Unfortunately, it is still an uphill battle.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2008/ob063.asp

Information on how the cost threshold is determined:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2013/ob504.asp

Centaur

Star Member
Jun 26, 2012
While you prepare your paperwork, also take a Medical Opinion from a reputed Doctor / Hospital in your country/location in support of your cause. A letter from your family doctor as well, indicating that your sister does not require expensive treatment or medical attention, could be a starting point to press your case, in addition to posts by compgeek and Yel.

God Bless and wish you success in your endeavor to care for your family.

Compgeek and Yel, good posts. +1 to each one of you.

Eli51

Jan 28, 2015
Is someone allowed to sponsor a spouse who has Cerebral palsy if they are willing to sign the undertaking form that they will not take welfare for three years?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Is someone allowed to sponsor a spouse who has Cerebral palsy if they are willing to sign the undertaking form that they will not take welfare for three years?
Yes - you can sponsor a spouse with cerebral palsy. Spouses are exempt from excessive demand.

It's not a question of whether you are willing to sign the undertaking form or not. It's mandatory for everyone to sign the undertaking form for spousal sponsorship whether their spouse is healthy or not.