+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CERB for Work Permit/PGWP Holders ?

eliziebasa

Mar 28, 2020
Hello Everyone! I hope everyone is doing just fine. I know we all are going through crazy times but all of this is temporary :)

My situation is that I am a work permit holder and my company lost funds due to COVID-19. And so I wont be paid from 30th March. I am off the payroll. I heard about CERB benefits and I qualify for it . But I am not very sure if it applies to work permit/PGWP holders as well . I asked a few people and the response was something like "Yes it should be". No one is really sure. Guys, can you share you knowledge if you know anything about it ?
Thanks for your time in advance!
I really hope the best for all of you!

Shivaniarora

Sep 12, 2019
following

Hello Everyone! I hope everyone is doing just fine. I know we all are going through crazy times but all of this is temporary :)

My situation is that I am a work permit holder and my company lost funds due to COVID-19. And so I wont be paid from 30th March. I am off the payroll. I heard about CERB benefits and I qualify for it . But I am not very sure if it applies to work permit/PGWP holders as well . I asked a few people and the response was something like "Yes it should be". No one is really sure. Guys, can you share you knowledge if you know anything about it ?

maaayankkk

Star Member
May 17, 2018
Eligibility:
• Age more than 15 years old
• Working income no less than $5000 in 2019 or in the last 12 months
• Tax resident in Canada
Not eligible for CERB:
• If currently receiving any EI, the person won’t be eligible for CERB. If the EI will be finished by Oct 3 2020 and the person still doesn’t have any income due to the Covid19, he would be eligible to apply CERB after EI payment. But at this moment, he won’t be eligible for CERB.
• Hasn’t laid off
• Voluntarily dismiss from work

Different situations should be aware:
• If the person recently applied EI and hasn’t received any EI payment, their application will be automatically transferred to CERB.
• If the person was recently laid off and hasn’t applied EI, and the 28-day application period hasn’t passed before April 6, 2020, he should apply CERB first then EI.
• EI and CERB can’t be received at the same timed but can be received separately.
• Working permit holder with no less than $5000 can be eligible for CERB.

Extra CCB $300 per child per month, starting in May
Low income will receive extra GST/HST credit: single parent $400 per month / couple $600 per month

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Just clarifying that you are also not going work and you received an ROE. You said off the payroll Not that you are not going to work.

dbhatia27

Apr 5, 2020
Any idea what effect will layoff will have on work permit holders, if there PR application is in process. Will they lose 50 points claimed for work permit, even if they have their ITA and AOR in past.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Any idea what effect will layoff will have on work permit holders, if there PR application is in process. Will they lose 50 points claimed for work permit, even if they have their ITA and AOR in past.
If you are claiming 50 points for a job then yes it will likely have an impact. You need to update your file and indicate you have been laid off and any other changes. There may be exceptions. They may contact employers asking whether they still plan to employ you after covid settles down.

Khaled1982

Apr 9, 2020
Hi There,

My wife on open work permit, she left her job last august to go for vacation, we found out later she is pregnant for that she couldn't continue work after coming back, she never applied for any type of government assistance before, would she be eligible for CERB?

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hi There,

My wife on open work permit, she left her job last august to go for vacation, we found out later she is pregnant for that she couldn't continue work after coming back, she never applied for any type of government assistance before, would she be eligible for CERB?
No. She elected not to return to her job due to being pregnant, not Covid

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi There,

what province does she live in? Does her spouse work? Is she on PGWP or SOWP? How long did she go on vacation? How long did she work for? She may not qualify for health insurance either.

sasidharanj

Apr 12, 2020
Hi

My wife is fairly new to Canada and after a long wait she received her work in March 2020. Now she couldn’t land into any job and the ones she attended interview with have responded saying that they couldn’t continue with hiring due to the pandemic situation and everything on hold. She quit her job back home in March 2019, so did not make $5000 in 2019. She is heavily affected as a first time job seeker. Is she eligible for CERB?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi

My wife is fairly new to Canada and after a long wait she received her work in March 2020. Now she couldn’t land into any job and the ones she attended interview with have responded saying that they couldn’t continue with hiring due to the pandemic situation and everything on hold. She quit her job back home in March 2019, so did not make $5000 in 2019. She is heavily affected as a first time job seeker. Is she eligible for CERB?
Unfortunately she does not qualify since she made less than $5,000 within the last 12 months.

Reactions: sasidharanj

Iqbalmanm9

May 19, 2017
Hi i want to know if i am eligible to apply for cerb. Situation is last year i worked at McDonald’s for part time as i was full time student then I got graduated in November and applied for post graduation work permit so at that time i was not eligible to work and my employer told me just come back to work when u got your work permit after that i got my work permit on 6 th march 2020 and received it in mail on 12th march and the very next day all the service canada closed and I can’t renew my sin number so i will not be able to return to work they are accepting only mail application for sin number which takes 1 month so i want to know if am eligible because i am meeting all other conditions thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi i want to know if i am eligible to apply for cerb. Situation is last year i worked at McDonald’s for part time as i was full time student then I got graduated in November and applied for post graduation work permit so at that time i was not eligible to work and my employer told me just come back to work when u got your work permit after that i got my work permit on 6 th march 2020 and received it in mail on 12th march and the very next day all the service canada closed and I can’t renew my sin number so i will not be able to return to work they are accepting only mail application for sin number which takes 1 month so i want to know if am eligible because i am meeting all other conditions thanks
You don’t meet the biggest requirement, you did not lose your job due to covid.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Not eligible.

Also, you were allowed to work full-time as soon as you applied for your PGWP AND you can continue to work on an expired SIN without issue.