+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CERB and PR APPLICATION

hnamson

Sep 17, 2019
Hello, My Common law partner is my sponsor, we are applying for Permanent residency under the family class as i am in canada, also adding a open work permit. As i go through the IMM1344 under the eligibility assessment and one of the questions is " Are you in receipt of social assistance for a reason other than disability?"

Due to COVID-19 and the job shortage where we were living my partner was eligible for the CERB benefits. Is this something that qualifies as social assistance and should be added to his income? His parents are a huge help financially the past year while he was finishing up University but is currently on the job hunt.

Toby2020

Star Member
Jun 26, 2020
Hello, My Common law partner is my sponsor, we are applying for Permanent residency under the family class as i am in canada, also adding a open work permit. As i go through the IMM1344 under the eligibility assessment and one of the questions is " Are you in receipt of social assistance for a reason other than disability?"

Due to COVID-19 and the job shortage where we were living my partner was eligible for the CERB benefits. Is this something that qualifies as social assistance and should be added to his income? His parents are a huge help financially the past year while he was finishing up University but is currently on the job hunt.
CERB will not affect the application!

Reactions: hnamson

JuniWolf

Jun 25, 2018
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
09-09-2020
AOR Received.
07-04-2021
Social assistance is very specific, it means something like welfare and it is province-specific (I'm not familiar with what programs you have in Canada but it would be like food stamps in the U.S.). We asked our lawyer this exact question, because my Canadian partner is also on EI/CERB and she said that does not apply-- any federal assistance does not fall under the social assistance category. What we are doing is just attaching an additional sheet describing our JOINT financial situation (I am still working remotely for a U.S. company) including that his parents can support us if necessary, if we fall on hard times.

Alwx

Star Member
Jun 11, 2020
If you receive social assistance because of job loss due to covid, they say you still can sponsor. But i believe the government not going to give money to support you spouse who comes to Canada, because it is you who agreed to financially support them.