+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CERB and International Student

Lamideepa

Feb 6, 2020
Hello, I am international student. I have a fellowship but i used to work part-time. Becasue of COVID i lost my part-time work. But i am still with fellowshp which is non-taxable. Can i still apply for CERB as i lost my part-time job.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello, I am international student. I have a fellowship but i used to work part-time. Becasue of COVID i lost my part-time work. But i am still with fellowshp which is non-taxable. Can i still apply for CERB as i lost my part-time job.
Not is you are still working and making over 1K/month.

sxia

Star Member
Apr 22, 2020
Hi, I just finished my last final exam yesterday and I am graduating in May. My student visa is expiring by the end of April. I met all the eligibility. Can I apply?

Edwinissac

Apr 23, 2020
Is the new eligibility criteria of working upto 1000$ per month is also applicable to international students? Do they still qualify for CERB if they work upto 1000$.

Roanoke

Apr 24, 2020
My cousin does part time work in Ontario as a PSW and earns around $800 in a two week period. Thus she would cross the $1000 month cap. Can she apply for CERB and reduce her shifts over a period of time so that she does not cross $12,000 income for the year. Is it mandatory that she does not take up any work for two weeks at a stretch in a month if she avails CERB?

naeem_engr

Feb 14, 2020
Hi, I'm international Student at U of Calgary and used to work part time (Regular Part Time) Since May 2019 at Calgary Stampede and earned more than 5K in year 2019. But recently got laid off temporarily due to Covid-19 issue. I applied for Employment Insurance (EI) instead of CERB (as I was told to apply only one either CERB or EI ) .. and they paid 2K .. I 'm confused about any future PGWP / PR application..would there be any effect.

I'm confused about my eligibility and furthermore, can I continue receiving EI benefits if I was eligible? I'm actively applying for jobs but all companies are refusing due to business closure due to Covid-19 Issue..

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My cousin does part time work in Ontario as a PSW and earns around $800 in a two week period. Thus she would cross the $1000 month cap. Can she apply for CERB and reduce her shifts over a period of time so that she does not cross $12,000 income for the year. Is it mandatory that she does not take up any work for two weeks at a stretch in a month if she avails CERB?
She is an essential health worker. She would need a specific reason not to work like living with elderly parents or immunocompromised person. You can’t just reduce your hours to qualify for more money while working less. She would either need to stop working because there was a threat to someone’s health or work her normal hours if not more hours.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi, I'm international Student at U of Calgary and used to work part time (Regular Part Time) Since May 2019 at Calgary Stampede and earned more than 5K in year 2019. But recently got laid off temporarily due to Covid-19 issue. I applied for Employment Insurance (EI) instead of CERB (as I was told to apply only one either CERB or EI ) .. and they paid 2K .. I 'm confused about any future PGWP / PR application..would there be any effect.

I'm confused about my eligibility and furthermore, can I continue receiving EI benefits if I was eligible? I'm actively applying for jobs but all companies are refusing due to business closure due to Covid-19 Issue..
Just clarifying that you have been working part-time throughout the whole year for the Calgary stampede organization but recently got laid off in March/April due to covid. Did you receive an ROE? How many hours s did you work? I know the Calgary stampede just got cancelled and want to make sure you didn’t find out from the stampede that the future work you would have done at the stampede was not going to happen.

LieLinda

Apr 25, 2020
Hi looks like I am eligible for cerb but My 5000 minimum income was mainly earned outside of Canada. Do you know how I can proof the income outside Canada? Thanks

LieLinda

Apr 25, 2020
If you see the CRA website, the 5000 doesn't jave to be earned in Canada, but have to reside in Canada right now.

kloppity

Nov 20, 2019
No, the money must have been earned whilst you were in Canada AND you have to currently be in Canada.

Pretty much, you have to have a Canadian tax record of that 5000 dollars!