+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CERB and International Student

Anna828

Feb 21, 2018
Hi everyone, so it looks like international students are officially be able to apply for CERB if they meet all the other criteria. Has anyone applied yet or is planning to do so? I should be qualified but I am worried that it will -to some degree- impact my application for a PGWP or PR at some point.. I'm really hesitant on whether I should apply or not. Just want to see what other people are thinking/doing. Thank you!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi everyone, so it looks like international students are officially be able to apply for CERB if they meet all the other criteria. Has anyone applied yet or is planning to do so? I should be qualified but I am worried that it will -to some degree- impact my application for a PGWP or PR at some point.. I'm really hesitant on whether I should apply or not. Just want to see what other people are thinking/doing. Thank you!
Zero effect on a PGWP or PR app. If you qualify, you can apply.

rehana08

Apr 2, 2020
Hi again,

I have just confirmed that students are indeed eligible and I qualify based on the requirements. But I am about to start on a new job tomorrow. However, I am thinking of just declining the job since technically, they haven't paid me anything. And just continue getting CERB until we go back to normal. Can someone help me? Like any advice on what I should do?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi again,

I have just confirmed that students are indeed eligible and I qualify based on the requirements. But I am about to start on a new job tomorrow. However, I am thinking of just declining the job since technically, they haven't paid me anything. And just continue getting CERB until we go back to normal. Can someone help me? Like any advice on what I should do?
CERB requirement:

Who are or expect to be without employment or self-employment income for at least 14 consecutive days in the initial four-week period. For subsequent benefit periods, they expect to have no employment or self-employment income.

Given that you have a job, you don't actually meet the requirement.

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Hi again,

Get the CERB and stay inside! not worth it risking your life at a job now.

rehana08

Apr 2, 2020
Get the CERB and stay inside! not worth it risking your life at a job now.
But as he mentioned, would I be still eligible for subsequent periods? I haven't started but I already signed the contract and would be technically an employee. Would CRA know I got hired even if I back out now without receiving any income from the employer?

khushboosingh

Jan 9, 2018
Hi, I am an international student and meet all other criteria for applying for CERB except that I have not earned CAD 5000 in the last 12 months. Do I still qualify? Please advise. Thanks

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi, I am an international student and meet all other criteria for applying for CERB except that I have not earned CAD 5000 in the last 12 months. Do I still qualify? Please advise. Thanks
You don't get to pick and choose what requirements to meet. You have to meet them all....

Reactions: Buletruck