+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CELPIP VS IELTS

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
Cant tell you anything about IELTS but here's a thread I created about the CELPIP test.

>> http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/celpip-my-experience-t155078.0.html

Maybe this helps.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

SoonToBeCanadian032812 said:
Hello!!!!

I just want to ask those who had taken both exam. Which one is easier CELPIP or IELTS?
It is extremely unlikely that anyone applying for Immigration would take both.

nevenj

Star Member
Feb 9, 2012
Hi,

I took IELTS exam almost 2 years ago and CELPIP in May this year. CELPIP was much easier for me, especially writing and listening part, although I would say that speaking part is a bit less stressful on IELTS exam.

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
nevenj said:
Hi,

I took IELTS exam almost 2 years ago and CELPIP in May this year. CELPIP was much easier for me, especially writing and listening part, although I would say that speaking part is a bit less stressful on IELTS exam.
The only thing about SPEAKING I didn't like was, that you're speaking into a microphone in
a room with like 15 other people, likely speaking at the same time.
Can be confusing and distracting but if you keep focused on your part, you should be good.

May 14, 2013
iam_toby said:
The only thing about SPEAKING I didn't like was, that you're speaking into a microphone in
a room with like 15 other people, likely speaking at the same time.
Can be confusing and distracting but if you keep focused on your part, you should be good.

I find the listening part confusing..can someone explain to me how it is? is it like u find the right meaning of what the conversation is saying or the opposite meaning? I tried looking at the samples and I didnt get it. Any link for review? pls help ill have exam on the 30th and I dont want to miss it

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
I find the listening part confusing..can someone explain to me how it is? is it like u find the right meaning of what the conversation is saying or the opposite meaning? I tried looking at the samples and I didnt get it. Any link for review? pls help ill have exam on the 30th and I dont want to miss it
Do the CELPIP online test. It's a free sample test: https://secure.paragontesting.ca/CelpipTour/
You'll hear conversations and you have to extract the meaning. Like a guy and girl talking about flowers, and the girl admires the guys flowers. There's gonna be multiple choice answers like:
a) the girl likes coffee
b) they're in an argument
c) the girl thinks the mans flowers are pretty
In my example the matching argument would be C, right?
That's how the listening looks like. You have to find similarities in statements/meanings.

Also a different listening part, someone will read out a sentence like "the tree is behind the car, but in front of the house".
On the screen you'll see 4 pictures showing different positions of those three items and you have to
pick the right one.

Hope this helps.

May 14, 2013
iam_toby said:
Do the CELPIP online test. It's a free sample test: https://secure.paragontesting.ca/CelpipTour/
You'll hear conversations and you have to extract the meaning. Like a guy and girl talking about flowers, and the girl admires the guys flowers. There's gonna be multiple choice answers like:
a) the girl likes coffee
b) they're in an argument
c) the girl thinks the mans flowers are pretty
In my example the matching argument would be C, right?
That's how the listening looks like. You have to find similarities in statements/meanings.

Also a different listening part, someone will read out a sentence like "the tree is behind the car, but in front of the house".
On the screen you'll see 4 pictures showing different positions of those three items and you have to
pick the right one.

Hope this helps.
One more question though, is it better to take the exam in morning or afternoon? I am basically looking for room of less people. I dont want to take exam with more than 10 or more people in the room. that will be totally distracting specially in speaking exam. Thanks

nevenj

Star Member
Feb 9, 2012
One more question though, is it better to take the exam in morning or afternoon? I am basically looking for room of less people. I dont want to take exam with more than 10 or more people in the room. that will be totally distracting specially in speaking exam. Thanks
Do you really think we have a crystal ball so we can predict how many seats will be taken ...

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
I don't know if that's gonna make a difference. I took my exam on a Saturday, it was busy in the room, but not too bad.
However, I don't think that anyone can tell how busy your exam day's gonna be.