torontonian2003

Star Member
Mar 12, 2014
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
manianz47 said:
Hi

Per CIC, what is the validity period for the CELPIP-General LS test score?
This is from the CIC website:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/CIT0002ETOC.asp#language

2. Language Proof if you are 18-54 years of age

Select one of the following types of proof to submit with your application:

Results of a CIC-approved third-party test at the equivalent of Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB/NCLC) [Note 1] level 4 or higher in speaking and listening skills done previously for immigration purposes (even expired) or done specifically for citizenship purposes only. Test results from the following list are acceptable:
Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program General test (CELPIP-G), (not the academic version) You must have achieved a score of:
2H or higher (3L, 3H, 4L, 4H, 5 or 6) in speaking and listening; or
CELPIP-General LS – a two-skills (listening and speaking) version of the CELPIP general test You must have achieved a score of:2H or higher (3L, 3H, 4L, 4H, 5 or 6) in listening and speaking; or
International English Language Testing System (IELTS), general training, not the academic version You must have achieved a score of:
4.0 or higher in speaking, and
4.5 or higher in listening. (If the test was done before November 28, 2008, we will accept a 4 or higher); or

manianz47

Sep 15, 2008
Thank you very much for the quick response
[Did not want to take a chance..Something like: PC is valid for 3 months only]

torontonian2003

Star Member
Mar 12, 2014
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
manianz47 said:
Thank you very much for the quick response
[Did not want to take a chance..Something like: PC is valid for 3 months only]
Provide photocopy of your test result with your citizenship application.
Keep the original expired result for safekeeping and bring it with you when you reach the interview/test stage.

What to expect in the interview:
CIC staff actually assesses applicants for language skills during the interview on testing day. CIC staff actually achieve two things during the interview:
1. They go through your documents with you
2. During that document assessment, how you handle the conversation is actually a demonstration of your communication skills

If you are comprehensible enough speaking in English (or French) with the CIC staff during interview, it is unlikely the expired scores you submitted will even be brought up. In my own case, after chatting with the CIC staff about my passport, she declined to see my original IETLS score report even after I asked whether she needs to see it too.

boasorte

Aug 3, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Halifax
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Desert Lion said:
I did not understand, the validity of the test is it one or two years
According to the institution, CELPIP-General scores are valid for 2 years from the date of exam.

Raincouver

Mar 17, 2014
torontonian2003 said:
This is from the CIC website:

2. Language Proof if you are 18-54 years of age

Select one of the following types of proof to submit with your application:

Results of a CIC-approved third-party test at the equivalent of Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB/NCLC) [Note 1] level 4 or higher in speaking and listening skills done previously for immigration purposes (even expired) or done specifically for citizenship purposes only. Test results from the following list are acceptable:
Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program General test (CELPIP-G), (not the academic version) You must have achieved a score of:
2H or higher (3L, 3H, 4L, 4H, 5 or 6) in speaking and listening; or
CELPIP-General LS – a two-skills (listening and speaking) version of the CELPIP general test You must have achieved a score of:2H or higher (3L, 3H, 4L, 4H, 5 or 6) in listening and speaking; or
International English Language Testing System (IELTS), general training, not the academic version You must have achieved a score of:
4.0 or higher in speaking, and
4.5 or higher in listening. (If the test was done before November 28, 2008, we will accept a 4 or higher); or

I heard from news that a Chinese woman gets CELPIP level 3 but the judge still rejected her application coz the judge said CELPIP test is too easy and her English is not good enough.

boasorte

Aug 3, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Halifax
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Raincouver said:
I heard from news that a Chinese woman gets CELPIP level 3 but the judge still rejected her application coz the judge said CELPIP test is too easy and her English is not good enough.
That's an unfortunate. Maybe people should try harder to learn the language of the country they live in(Canada has two!!), specially if they are applying for citizenship.

But, yes, the judge has the authority to deny an application based on the language proficiency requirement.

Desert Lion

Mar 14, 2014
The case of the Chinese woman cannot be generalized and the CELPIP test is not an easy as the judge had said, the bottom line this is not common scenario

rayman_m

Feb 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Desert Lion said:
The case of the Chinese woman cannot be generalized and the CELPIP test is not an easy as the judge had said, the bottom line this is not common scenario
I have taken CELPIP test recently which is indeed not an easy test at all. In Listening part there is total 45 questions to answer. First 4 question on sign is easy one but later all the questions answer has 4 option and in every question 2 option's meaning is almost similar which is very confusing if one does not pay 100% attention no matter how high is English proficiency are.

A few moment of unmindful on listening the speaker's question can create the silly mistakes in answering. Also the timing issue. Total 30 min to answer all the 45 questions which is also the reason for silly mistakes as will have to go through the questions and answers very quickly and does not get ample time on thinking too much on to determine right answer.

But speaking part is relatively less stressful and if one listens the topic carefully and can speak to the microphone 30-40 seconds on the related topic should be OK which has total 16 questions.

Bottom line is, if some one has achieved 2H in both Listening and Speaking, I think CIC has no issue as this is their minimum requirement. If judge stands against of minimum score then CIC should change their requirement to the higher level.

rayman_m

Feb 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CiC website says 2H is the minimum score for listening and speaking to accept application. To achieve even 2H one must have adequate knowledge in English and has ability to understand speaker's questions. Must answer at lease 14 question correctly out of 45 for 2H. also same as for speaking test and one must try to speak even not fluent in English to achieve 2H level from the the total 16 questions, but with little fluency 3H or 4L can be achieved.

So my feeling is that, if an applicant has ability to understand the CELPIP speaker's question then there is no reason for them to not understand CIC officer's questions during interview. It is hard to understand if the Chinese lady passed the CELPIP test and CJ rejected application. There must be some other reasons for officer to flag her language issues and refer to the CJ.

bruce1908

Jun 4, 2014
Hello Everyone !!!

My citizenship application is returned to me yesterday because of photo issue …. I will send my application again and but my question is if I need to take CELPIP GENERAL LS test again ???? I took it on March 2014 and I remember that they changed the test little bit after April 1 2014….. My results still valid ??? Cuz I know that when I send my application again they will consider as new application …. Plz help if you know something about it >>??? Thank you all

sazid

Star Member
Apr 5, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
bruce1908 said:
Hello Everyone !!!

My citizenship application is returned to me yesterday because of photo issue .... I will send my application again and but my question is if I need to take CELPIP GENERAL LS test again ???? I took it on March 2014 and I remember that they changed the test little bit after April 1 2014..... My results still valid ??? Cuz I know that when I send my application again they will consider as new application .... Plz help if you know something about it >>??? Thank you all
Hi Bruce ,

In my opinon you can submit the CELPIP results taken in March . No were it says that its invalid , if it would have been than CELPIP it self would have informed it . No need to worry just correct your photo issue and send the application with CELPIP test score.

rayman_m

Feb 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CELPIP LS changed the scoring format from April,2014. However, CIC website still showing required score is 2H. Perhaps CIC will change their scoring format from April 2016 as CELPIP result is valid for 2 years. Or in future CIC might indicate both scoring format pre Apriil, 2014 & post April 2014 if CIC update it's website sometime soon.