+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CELPIP - easier than IELTS or not?

Judlu

Star Member
Oct 12, 2016
Hi everyone!

Can somebody share the information if CELPIP language test is easier than IELTS or not? I took IELTS twice as I need to improve my scores in Writing and Listening sections to have CLB 9 in each section but I failed.

I've heard that CELPIP can be easier but I'm not sure... I don't know that structure of this test. Can somebody share experience and opinion?

Thanks!

wlj0918

Star Member
Nov 23, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Listening and Reading - easier for sure.

Writing - topic and format might be easier, but the score might not be as high as you would expect

Speaking - toxic, speak to microphone and very little prepare time(10 - 15 sec). Even for those who are excellent speaker at workplace, you might not do well in this.

Re-evaluation can get filed after results are release. Myself initially got 8 for Speaking and turned to 10 after re-evaluation.

Judlu

Star Member
Oct 12, 2016
wlj0918 said:
Listening and Reading - easier for sure.

Writing - topic and format might be easier, but the score might not be as high as you would expect

Speaking - toxic, speak to microphone and very little prepare time(10 - 15 sec). Even for those who are excellent speaker at workplace, you might not do well in this.

Re-evaluation can get filed after results are release. Myself initially got 8 for Speaking and turned to 10 after re-evaluation.
What is the procedure of re-evaluation? How much time does it take? Do you need to go through "speaking part" again in the same format?

I live in Ottawa but will take a test in Toronto. If I need re-evaluation will it require me to visit the test center again?

wlj0918

Star Member
Nov 23, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Judlu said:
What is the procedure of re-evaluation? How much time does it take? Do you need to go through "speaking part" again in the same format?

I live in Ottawa but will take a test in Toronto. If I need re-evaluation will it require me to visit the test center again?
Here's my post for re-evaluation experience. You will only need to submit a form through your celpip web account
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/successful-celpip-reevaluation-t463428.0.html;msg5612056#msg5612056

You can always find more info from the official source, good luck.

Judlu

Star Member
Oct 12, 2016
wlj0918 said:
Here's my post for re-evaluation experience. You will only need to submit a form through your celpip web account
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/successful-celpip-reevaluation-t463428.0.html;msg5612056#msg5612056

You can always find more info from the official source, good luck.
Thanks a lot!!!

Could you please answer one more question:
Is the structure of "Speaking part" of CELPIP is still like that:

In the speaking component, you will have 16 questions to answer in 30 minutes. You will be asked to speak for 40 seconds for questions 1-15 and for 2 minutes for question 16.

I'm asking because in a sample test it's another - you get around 30-60 sec to prepare for each question and should speak 1-1.5 minute for each question.

remusus03

Nov 20, 2016
Well I have got the sample and practice tests on the CELPIP, I found the listening hard hard.

In fact I tried 5 Listening practice tests: 8 / 9 / 8 / 8 / 6.

Thats how I scored in the practice tests lol, in IELTS when I had given the examination in General and Academic, I have scored 7.5 and 8.0.

So, in that respect I feel CELPIP is based on memory skills test rather than listening.

Reading seems to be about the same on both I feel while practicing but I am yet to give the December actual CELPIP exam, but my hopes for getting a 9 CLB in listening is gonna be hard.

I felt there is a significant difference and I must say SIGNIFICANT difference in difficulty in listening in CELPIP between tests, it is not consistent at all.

I am looking for different ways to improve and I have been using English more of a Native language as far as I can say.

The drop-down answers are closely related in which it looks like it is a bit difficult if the answers are pretty close, if they are distinctive it makes sense to have the damn drop down, not when they are very close to each other in the meanings of that, understanding the tone of teh voice and the video part where we have to look at who agreed with whom, not sure if that is something easy to remember.

On December 10th, I am going to find out, how the CELPIP actual test is, and yea, they dont provide study materials as compared to IELTS apart from the Sample test that everyone can answer even though if it ain't paid.

wlj0918

Star Member
Nov 23, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Judlu said:
Thanks a lot!!!

Could you please answer one more question:
Is the structure of "Speaking part" of CELPIP is still like that:

In the speaking component, you will have 16 questions to answer in 30 minutes. You will be asked to speak for 40 seconds for questions 1-15 and for 2 minutes for question 16.

I'm asking because in a sample test it's another - you get around 30-60 sec to prepare for each question and should speak 1-1.5 minute for each question.
I don't recall having 16 questions - it's more of 10-ish and the time is about 20 min in total
For some short questions(ask you to speak 1 min) - prep time is 30 sec (really just 15 sec to go through the question and 15 sec to sketch down anything you want to say)
For some long questions (ask you to speak 1.5 min - 2 min) prep time is 1 min, still very short I must say.