+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CEC Skilled Worker

Augustiner

Star Member
Aug 13, 2016
My wife is on work permit, so her visa is worker. As I came as a student, my wife got her open work permit. Our visas were expired in April, so we got to extend in order to pursuit our provincial nomination. Luckily, we got extensions until the end of next year. So, she has work permit which will not expire until next year (they gave us additional 18 months).

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
We got our visas extended, so hers is work permit. She came into the country with me so she got open work permit. After expiration in April, we extended them until end of next year.
Ok, I had to go back through the thread, you are on a study permit, and she is on an open work permit based on your study permit. Are you still studying? Have you confirmed with your school whether you are eligible to apply for a PGWP? Of course you cannot work if you have left your program, is that where we are at now?

The only thing I can suggest is if you get an ITA and submit your eAPR, your wife can *try* for the BOWP with a letter of explanation (just say the truth). There are no guarantees, but in your case it might be worth a shot. If she is approved for the BOWP, you would be elgible for an SOWP (you could submit your application at the same time as hers).

Reactions: Augustiner

Augustiner

Star Member
Aug 13, 2016
Ok, I had to go back through the thread, you are on a study permit, and she is on an open work permit based on your study permit. Are you still studying? Have you confirmed with your school whether you are eligible to apply for a PGWP? Of course you cannot work if you have left your program, is that where we are at now?

The only thing I can suggest is if you get an ITA and submit your eAPR, your wife can *try* for the BOWP with a letter of explanation (just say the truth). There are no guarantees, but in your case it might be worth a shot. If she is approved for the BOWP, you would be elgible for an SOWP (you could submit your application at the same time as hers).
Yes, I submit the application for extending our permits. As extending study permit, I have to study. And on my wife's side, she also got approved of extension of her work permit until the end of next year. This is the key factor that we need to put in consideration as "bridging" work permit might need shorter term than 6 months to be qualified.
But, Your advice is very logical as things should be. It should not hold down on us to go to work while the country is in need of workers.
Because of the pandemic, we had the extend our visas to stay safe after submitting PNP. Now, I don't know if it is the right decision.
Please give me some inputs.
You are the best!!!

Augustiner

Star Member
Aug 13, 2016

Augustiner

Star Member
Aug 13, 2016

I will try your suggestion. But before doing that I want to talk to IRCC agent to have their recommendations. Can anyone please verify their phone number?
I found 1-888-242-2100.
Is this number correct?
I appreciate your confirmation so much.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
I found this link on CIC, jes_ON:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/extend-permit/bridging-open-work-permit.html
One of the conditions is that the main applicant "have a valid work permit that expires in 4 months or less". How come our situation is worst than others? I do not understand!

First- let's be clear, your wife currently has a valid work permit until the end of 2021, and you have a study permit. Neither one of you is required to leave the country any time soon, so - please understand, your situation is not that bad!!! Other people have much more difficult situations. You have time to apply for PR within your current permits. I would focus on that.

Second, you got the PNP nomination! That means your score is high enough for an ITA and hopefully a successful PR application. Focus on that !!! A lot of people struggle with that CRS score and getting the nomination, so count your blessings for that.

Alternatively, your wife could ask her employer for an LMIA and get a closed temporary work permit. Those are not easy to get, but if she were to succeed, you would then be eligible for an open work permit.