+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CEC Skilled Worker

Augustiner

Star Member
Aug 13, 2016
I am an international student in British Columbia and my wife is here with me with the open work permit. My study permit expires in April 2020. She has already been working for a fashion retail store as a sale person for 1 year. She is currently offered a supervisor position at a different retail store in beauty field.
Can anyone please help me any advises on how we could get PR through CEC? Is my wife 1 year work experience counted toward 2 year experience requirement?
As I think by this time next year (November 2019), she will have 2 years of experience in retail and got a supervisor position (as she got offered currently).
Is that plan possible or do I have to find some other ways? Please give us some options.
Another question: Is it hard to get study permit extended just in case our plan doesn't work out. Anyone with experience please give us some advises.
Many thanks.

shyam.7944

Mar 9, 2015
Category........
Other
Doc's Request.
-
Nomination.....
-
I am an international student in British Columbia and my wife is here with me with the open work permit. My study permit expires in April 2020. She has already been working for a fashion retail store as a sale person for 1 year. She is currently offered a supervisor position at a different retail store in beauty field.
Can anyone please help me any advises on how we could get PR through CEC? Is my wife 1 year work experience counted toward 2 year experience requirement?
As I think by this time next year (November 2019), she will have 2 years of experience in retail and got a supervisor position (as she got offered currently).
Is that plan possible or do I have to find some other ways? Please give us some options.
Another question: Is it hard to get study permit extended just in case our plan doesn't work out. Anyone with experience please give us some advises.
Many thanks.
In order to apply for PR through CEC, your wife needs to do a skilled job for a minimum of 1 year. Retail Supervisor (NOC 6211) is considered as a skilled work, while 1 year of experience as a sales person doesn't count since it's not a skilled work. If your wife continues to work as a supervisor for 1 year ( min. 30 hours a week), she will be eligible to apply for PR and can also include you in the application.

Reactions: Augustiner

Augustiner

Star Member
Aug 13, 2016
Thanks shyam7944,
What I concern is according to BC PNP said: have at least two (2) years of directly related work experience
The sale position and supervisor position are probably not on the same NOC. If you have information of the minimum 1 year of work experience on the skilled job as you mentioned above, please let me know. Because otherwise we have to find another solution.
One friend also suggests me to go for EE skilled worker as she got 6.5 years in office administration (skill level B) back in my home country. Can we still qualify even as we are inlands?
Any option for us to stay will work, please advise us.
Once again thank you shyam7944.

shyam.7944

Mar 9, 2015
Category........
Other
Doc's Request.
-
Nomination.....
-
Try calculating points using CRS points calculator. This will give you a rough idea before planning anything in the future. Try putting in 1 year of Canadian work experience and also international work experience. If it gives you adequate score then wait until she completes one year.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/crs-tool.asp

If your score is low, try the alternates; I'm not sure about the BC's provincial nominee program, if she has a work permit that is valid for 2 years or more then I guess It's worth waiting

And I apologize, I don't have any knowledge about Federal skilled worker class.

Good luck!

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
What I concern is according to BC PNP said: have at least two (2) years of directly related work experience
That is a different program, with different eligibility requirements (it is not express entry, but is a traditional PNP program). It sounds like you may be eligible for multiple programs, which is a good problem to have.

The sale position and supervisor position are probably not on the same NOC.

If you have information of the minimum 1 year of work experience on the skilled job as you mentioned above, please let me know.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/eligibility/canadian-experience-class.html

One friend also suggests me to go for EE skilled worker as she got 6.5 years in office administration (skill level B) back in my home country. Can we still qualify even as we are inlands?
If she is eligible now for the FSW program, she can apply (does not matter where you live).
Try the link shyman posted above.

Any option for us to stay will work, please advise us.
Depending on the program you are studying, when you finish, you might be eligible for a Post-graduate work permit.

Augustiner

Star Member
Aug 13, 2016
Oh great,
Thank you, jes_ON. That is a good news. I will try to make research more about CEC (EE), it seems like we are qualified for that option. By this time next year, we will have 1 year of skilled work experience, what do you think about our time frame as our visas are expired in April 2020? Should we have enough time? Or is there any options people usually do in this situation?
I know I always have an option of extending my study permit but I am not sure because I don't know how that process is (difficult/easy)?
I appreciate your help. Really it swept away a lot of confusions to us.

Augustiner

Star Member
Aug 13, 2016
We are receiving a good news today. My wife old employer is offering her a "Assistant to store manager" role to keep her with the company. So as I read the CEC requirements (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/eligibility/canadian-experience-class.html). I see that she is qualified except only 1 thing that I am not sure which is: her offered position. How can we tell that her position is qualified as a skilled type B?
As I look at NOC code 6211, I see that there is a position called "key holder - retail store". My wife said that her offered position is even higher than key holder position within her company.
The link that jes-ON gave me I've got only 378 which is not good as the current calling score.
Please tell us why and how does it seem that we're qualified for CEC (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/eligibility/canadian-experience-class.html).
Fingers crossed.

Augustiner

Star Member
Aug 13, 2016
After another day of research I finally conclude that jes_ON's advise to me was right with the CEC option through EE. I have calculate our score again and by this time next year we will be at 463. My question now is by this time next year if we can submit our EE, we have only 4 months until our visas expire (April 2020). Please advise me on how should I do to extend our stay in Canada to wait for PR? My study performance is not good as I become old (35). I remembered there are number of cases, people would extend their stay somehow but it wasn't my concern so I did not read them carefully.
Anybody had experience, please advise me.
Thanks.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
After another day of research I finally conclude that jes_ON's advise to me was right with the CEC option through EE. I have calculate our score again and by this time next year we will be at 463. My question now is by this time next year if we can submit our EE, we have only 4 months until our visas expire (April 2020).

Just to review, you have a study permit and she has an SOWP (let's not confuse these with visas, which are travel documents that allow you to board a plane to Canada).

Again, you have multiple options. If you complete your program of study, you can apply for a PGWP. Your spouse *might* be eligible for another SOWP based on your PGWP, but you would have to show proof of full-time skilled employment.

If you are able to submit your eAPR before your permits expire, you can apply for what is called a "Bridging open work permit" (BOWP). Only the principal applicant is eligible for a BOWP (your wife, in this case), and you would then be eligible for an SOWP.

Probably the best option would be for you to apply for your PGWP and her to apply for the BOWP.

Augustiner

Star Member
Aug 13, 2016
Ok, I hope that jes_ON is still here to help me or if you are no longer in this forum, we need any experts' advises.
I really spent so much time to read this forum, cic website... to find the information but I could not find any. So, the last advise that jes-ON gave me is that I should apply for PGWP, but in my case I could not finish my program as I am getting old. I failed several classes, as the result my transcript is not good. I still can keep my minimum record to register and continue at my University. I am currently taking classes and registered for Spring 2020.
My wife on the other hand is going to have her 1 full year work experience at the end of December 2019.
We both tried 4 times with both IELTS and CELPIP but no success to hit the magic scores at any of these tests. So, we are at 433.
Our visas will be expired in March 31, 2020.
I keep notice the CIC scores closely, and know that 433 is not feasible score to get ITA.
We are still trying to attain the magic scores in English test to boost our score up. But I would like to know if we have second option to extend our visas. It is best if my wife can extend her Work Permit until the end of December 2020 (9 more months), so she can reach the 2 year work experience.
Please advise me. If we submit an application to extend our visas, how long would we able to get?
I have read through some sources that said I can only get maximum 6 months as visitor (as my case), is this true. we really need to get 9-month extension permits.
Greatly appreciate,
Thanks.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Ok, I hope that jes_ON is still here to help me or if you are no longer in this forum, we need any experts' advises.
I really spent so much time to read this forum, cic website... to find the information but I could not find any. So, the last advise that jes-ON gave me is that I should apply for PGWP, but in my case I could not finish my program as I am getting old. I failed several classes, as the result my transcript is not good. I still can keep my minimum record to register and continue at my University. I am currently taking classes and registered for Spring 2020.
My wife on the other hand is going to have her 1 full year work experience at the end of December 2019.
We both tried 4 times with both IELTS and CELPIP but no success to hit the magic scores at any of these tests. So, we are at 433.
Our visas will be expired in March 31, 2020.
I keep notice the CIC scores closely, and know that 433 is not feasible score to get ITA.
We are still trying to attain the magic scores in English test to boost our score up. But I would like to know if we have second option to extend our visas. It is best if my wife can extend her Work Permit until the end of December 2020 (9 more months), so she can reach the 2 year work experience.
Please advise me. If we submit an application to extend our visas, how long would we able to get?
I have read through some sources that said I can only get maximum 6 months as visitor (as my case), is this true. we really need to get 9-month extension permits.
Greatly appreciate,
Thanks.
I think your first step is to see if you can get your study permit extended - with your academic challenges, that may not be possible, but that would be the logical first path to explore.

Augustiner

Star Member
Aug 13, 2016
I think your first step is to see if you can get your study permit extended - with your academic challenges, that may not be possible, but that would be the logical first path to explore.
Thank you so much for this recommendation, it helps my family a lot. I received the good news today that our permits have been extended. We also applied for PNP which is very hopeful. Even in the case of not getting PNP, the road is open wide for us if we get 2 years Canadian work experience. We had been through tremendous stresses but your help came just in time.
Once again, we thank you, jes_ON.
Stay happy and continue to help others.

Augustiner

Star Member
Aug 13, 2016
Ok, here I am again to ask you guys again.
We are finally at the stage of getting provincial nomination and we have more than 1000 points on EE. As I am on extended student visa, I wonder if I am able to have work permit. Once again, I have to tell you the fact that my wife is the main applicant.
I am told that if my wife visa is still valid for more than 6 months, she can not get her BOWP, so I can not get my work permit neither.
I want to go to work because the EE process is now 6 months or more, it is going to ruin my career if I am off work for too long.
Can anyone help me if there is any way I can get work permit to go to work?
Thanks a lot.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Ok, here I am again to ask you guys again.
We are finally at the stage of getting provincial nomination and we have more than 1000 points on EE. As I am on extended student visa, I wonder if I am able to have work permit. Once again, I have to tell you the fact that my wife is the main applicant.
I am told that if my wife visa is still valid for more than 6 months, she can not get her BOWP, so I can not get my work permit neither.
Can you explain what kind of "visa" your wife has? Does she have a work permit? What kind?

Augustiner

Star Member
Aug 13, 2016
We got our visas extended, so hers is work permit. She came into the country with me so she got open work permit. After expiration in April, we extended them until end of next year.