+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CEC proof of funds - the 'how much money will you bring to Canada' question

Alicialeigh

Star Member
Jan 9, 2019
Category........
CEC
Hi all. Just a quick question when applying under Canadian Experience Class. During the application process, there's a question along the lines of "how much money will you bring to Canada to support yourself". I'm aware you do not need to provide proof of funds under CEC. Is it ok to answer zero to this question and, if not, what should the answer be? I've also prepared a letter to upload which explains I do not need to show proof of funds etc.

Many thanks!

thaitran26291

Star Member
Oct 18, 2018
You dont need to prove your fund while applying under CEC stream. You can put 0. After that, in your profile, it will say “ you meet minimum requirements “ , below that it will be CEC stream

Hmstr

Star Member
Mar 31, 2017
You dont need to prove your fund while applying under CEC stream. You can put 0. After that, in your profile, it will say “ you meet minimum requirements “ , below that it will be CEC stream
Really? I didn’t know that when I applied. Learned something new today.

Alicialeigh

Star Member
Jan 9, 2019
Category........
CEC
Thank you! Originally I entered an amount but then uploaded a letter stating I do not need to have proof of funds. I'm now thinking of changing it to zero (haven't yet submitted), and adding it into my letter of exp. instead.

koala12

Mar 6, 2019
I asked IRCC about this on their official twitter account and this is what they told me

"Hi. When you fill out an Express Entry profile, the system will assess you to find which program you're eligible to apply under.
If you're found eligible under CEC, you won't need proof of funds, but you still need to fill out all the fields.
Please enter the funds you will have available if your application is approved
"

Last edited:
Reactions: Alicialeigh

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
I asked IRCC about this on official twitter account and this is what they told me

"Hi. When you fill out an Express Entry profile, the system will assess you to find which program you're eligible to apply under.
If you're found eligible under CEC, you won't need proof of funds, but you still need to fill out all the fields.
Please enter the funds you will have available if your application is approved
"

That is because the system does not assume you will be eligible under CEC and they will assess you for eligibility for FSW and FST as well. So they encourage you to fill in the info. Many many applicants simply fill in 0 and it does not affect their eligibility (except of course they will be found "not eligible" for FSW)​

koala12

Mar 6, 2019

That is because the system does not assume you will be eligible under CEC and they will assess you for eligibility for FSW and FST as well. So they encourage you to fill in the info. Many many applicants simply fill in 0 and it does not affect their eligibility (except of course they will be found "not eligible" for FSW)​

I was confused about the whole thing. thank you for clarifying it

as123sa

Star Member
Oct 1, 2017
Thank you! Originally I entered an amount but then uploaded a letter stating I do not need to have proof of funds. I'm now thinking of changing it to zero (haven't yet submitted), and adding it into my letter of exp. instead.
Did you put CAD$ 0 in application??? Can you please say what happened after that???

Alicialeigh

Star Member
Jan 9, 2019
Category........
CEC
Did you put CAD$ 0 in application??? Can you please say what happened after that???
I did, and I gather from this forum that many others have too. I also made reference to it in my LOE. I haven't had any updates yet but I'll share here when I do.

Reactions: as123sa