+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CEC PR In prcess, Post-Grad Permit Expiring soon

kaboix

Apr 5, 2012
Hello all,
I have a rather complicated problem, but I am sure someone else would have gone through the same and I would appreciate any feedback you can give me.

- I currently hold a Post-Graduation Permit that is expiring in June 15, 2012.
- I have a permanent full-time job at this moment
- I filed my PR application under the CEC category, and the office seems to have received it on August, 2011 in Buffalo.
- Then, I receive an email saying that my file was transferred to the Case Processing Pilot-Ottawa in October, 2011, and I get the request for Medical exams. I submit those within two weeks of receiving this email.
- On Jan 19, 2012, I receive an email telling me that my file was transferred now to Seattle CIC office.
- That is all i have heard so far.

Now, I would like to know what I should do to prepare myself in case June 15 comes by, and I still do not have my PR?
1) Should I apply for a Foreign Worker's Permit?
a) What is my HR supposed to fill in the field of "Rationale for hiring this foreign worker" for the LMO? I am already a full-time employee, and the real reason is to maintain my status as a Worker while I am applying for PR CEC
b) I heard that the processing times for LMO at crazy nowadays, and I only have 2 and half months left. Will I make it?
c) Can i still work even after the expiry of my Work Permit?

2) I need to go on a business trip on June 24th, which is shortly after my Work permit expires. Should I still do this?
a) If, how could I come back into Canada?
b) Will I still be able to continue working after I come back?

I am wondering if I can/should apply for a Visitor's visa, just to come back to Canada after my business trip.

All of your feedback is very appreciated.

Many thanks!

shivpalsidhu

Star Member
Feb 13, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Port of Spain
NOC Code......
6216 (New NOC 6313)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-03-2011
AOR Received.
06-04-2011 (1st) 02-06-2011 (2nd)
IELTS Request
Sent with inital application
File Transfer...
30-04-2011 and July 2012
Med's Request
19-08-2013
Med's Done....
22-08-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
12-05-2014
VISA ISSUED...
26-06-2014
LANDED..........
Already in Calgary, AB
Hi Kaboix,

Under CEC category, it is taken as your gile has been initially approved if the file is in Canada. I see it has been transfered to Seattle. To confirm if you qualify as provisionally approved, then you just need to apply for work permit with your PR file#. I would suggest call CIC to confirm this.

on the rest of your questions:

1. To apply under TFWP, your employer has to apply for Labour Market Opinion, forms can be downloaded from CIC website, and can either be faxed or sent through regular mail to the office which handles that area.
1. a. As you are currently working with the same employer on PGWP, your employer should show proof that you have been wotrking there from "x" date on PGWP with a copy of that, and they will like you to continue Attach your offer letter, job description. You do not need to show recruitment efforts, as per CIC website.
1. b. LMO approval depends on case to case, but generally it takes around 12-16weeks. If I were you, I will apply asap, and will ask my employer to followup after a week to confirm if they recieved it, and get the file#, and then just wait. You need to apply for work permit with atleast 30 days from expiry to get the 90 day implied status, or else, you will have to pay for restoration fee (will add upto $350 or something, dont remember now). I will suggest, once you have your file#, wait for a week or so with 35-40 days to go for expiry of your PGWP, and apply for your work permit online, and mention in comments your file#. CIC waits for max 2 months after recieving your work permit application to recieve the decision on LMO. If LMO is approved in mean time, you will your work permit, and if decision has not been made onLMO and it is over 2months, CIC will refuse the application, and you will need to reapply.
1. c. No, you are legally not allowed to work if you do not have valid work permit.

2. If you do not have valid work permit, do not do this, its not worth taking risk on your PR. Do not work until you get your work permit in hand or you call CIC and you are informed that they have approved your work permit, ask for document#, and go to Service Canada with document#, and request them to ernew your SIN validity. Most of the time Service Canada will not do it, but you can take a shot.

If you apply for visitor visa, you are legally not authorized to work in Canada. In you situation, this may not help.

If you need any help, let me know.

Regards,
Shiv