+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CEC passport request email

CECPR12

Apr 6, 2012
Hello

I am under a work permit here and I have applied for cec. I have already done my medical and now I am waiting to receive the email for my passport request. I would like to know how would it work if i am travelling and I receive the email for my passport request? Can I land into the USA or Canada to get my passport stamped? Or does it have to be mailed? Also in how many days do we have to get it stamped by? If someone could please explain the procedure I would really appreciate any help. Thank you

cec2011

Star Member
Nov 19, 2011
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 17, 2011
AOR Received.
February 2, 2012
Med's Request
February 7, 2012
Med's Done....
March 1, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
March 29, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
April 26, 2012
LANDED..........
May 5, 2012
They will allow you to send your passport, or photo copies of every single page of your passport, to them (and I mean EVERY page). You also need to send them your right of permanent residence fee and two photos with specific height and length for the permanent resident card. There is information in regards to that in the email they send you.

Once you are issued the passport request email, you have 90 days to send them your passport/photocopies. They generally process it in 3-5 weeks, and then you cross the border and land in Canada.

I got my passport request two weeks ago on a Thursday. As I am going out of the country next week, I couldn't send them my passport and instead sent photocopies of it. The package was sent on Monday and it arrived on Tuesday morning. So now I'm just waiting to get my card back, and once I do I'll drive to Niagara and land. Hope that helps!

Smile26

Star Member
Mar 2, 2011
cec2011 said:
They will allow you to send your passport, or photo copies of every single page of your passport, to them (and I mean EVERY page). You also need to send them your right of permanent residence fee and two photos with specific height and length for the permanent resident card. There is information in regards to that in the email they send you.

Once you are issued the passport request email, you have 90 days to send them your passport/photocopies. They generally process it in 3-5 weeks, and then you cross the border and land in Canada.

I got my passport request two weeks ago on a Thursday. As I am going out of the country next week, I couldn't send them my passport and instead sent photocopies of it. The package was sent on Monday and it arrived on Tuesday morning. So now I'm just waiting to get my card back, and once I do I'll drive to Niagara and land. Hope that helps!
I am done with my medicals for CEC and am waiting for passport request.My husband is in India and is a dependent spouse.I was thinking we compulsorily have to send our passport for stamping to Buffalo .Is that true ???
The reason is since my husaband is in India and the courier services there do not courier passport ...and I will need his passport to be sent to Buffalo....I was planning to ask my parents who are coming to Canada for visit to hand carry his passport but after reading ur response if we can send our passport photocopies ....I would not need his passport.Plz guide me.

Duke

Star Member
Aug 2, 2011
Hi CEC,

it's surpised that we can send them photocopies of our passport. Where did you find this information ?

What ever request we have got it says about orignal passport to be sent at buffalo.

Please share.

Regards,
Duke.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Duke said:
Hi CEC,

it's surpised that we can send them photocopies of our passport. Where did you find this information ?

What ever request we have got it says about orignal passport to be sent at buffalo.

Please share.

Regards,
Duke.
Applicants from visa exempt countries, whose case was processed under GCMS can send just copies of their passport. There are not given a counterfoil http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2011/ob348a.asp

cec2011

Star Member
Nov 19, 2011
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 17, 2011
AOR Received.
February 2, 2012
Med's Request
February 7, 2012
Med's Done....
March 1, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
March 29, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
April 26, 2012
LANDED..........
May 5, 2012
Duke said:
Hi CEC,

Please share.

Regards,
Duke.
Perhaps it's because my country of origin is the USA. Here is part of the email I got from CIC when they wanted my passport:

This refers to your application for permanent residence in Canada. We are now in a position to finalise your application.

Within the next 90 days please submit your passport(s) or a photocopy of all passport pages for you and your accompanying family members.

We also require two (2) recent photographs of yourself and each accompanying family member.

The issuance of your Confirmation of Permanent Resident document(s) is time sensitive so it is important for you to submit your passport(s) or passport photocopies as requested. You must submit these items by mail. We recommend that you submit a prepaid envelope for the return of your Confirmation of Permanent Resident document(s) and passport(s). Please refer to our mailing instructions for further information.

So it said it right in the email. I guess read the emails carefully and if it doesn't say you can send photocopies, you need to send your passport. It's nervewracking, I know. When I moved to New Zealand to work for six months I had to send the Consulate my passport to get my work permit too - but they had mine back to me in three days time. I don't see what takes Canada so long.

CECPR12

Apr 6, 2012
I am very confused how can you send photocopies of The passport? Do they not need to stamp on the real passport? Is sending passport Thr only way? Can I land directly somewhere without sending my passport?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

CECPR12 said:
I am very confused how can you send photocopies of The passport? Do they not need to stamp on the real passport? Is sending passport Thr only way? Can I land directly somewhere without sending my passport?
Read the link to the OPs Bulletin 2 messages up.