+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CEC or Alberta Nominee Program

bingliusmart

Sep 14, 2009
Hi: Thanks in advance for whoever's reading.
I graduated from May 2009, and have beening working full-time since then. I've been working for the same employer for two years already before my graduation in May 2009, so in theory the accumulated work hours are more than full time of a year already.
However, I can also apply for the Alberta provincal nominee program, but just gave them a call and it's gonna take them 10 months to approve me, then I can apply to Fedral.

I'm not sure how long the CEC will take for immigration applications, but if it is less than 1 year or 1.5 years, there's not point for applying for the provincial nominee, am I right?

Any suggestions guys? Anyone know how long it's gonna take for CEC rather than Alberta PNP?

Any replies appreciated.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I was looking at trackitt.com not long ago and it looked like CEC was around 5 months average. I'd go for CEC. Another advantage is that if something happens at your job and you lose your job or even have to go back to old country, your processing keeps going with CEC.

bingliusmart

Sep 14, 2009
Thank you Leon for your fast reply.
I just called CIC call centre, the agent told me they don't count my off campus work permit part time work experience, even it was under the same company I work for now.
I guess I'll have to keep working for another 8 months or so.

However, I do remember some of the guys from other forum said they used their off campus work permit experience or coop work experience to accumulate hours. Weird :(

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you apply as a graduate, they will only count work after you graduated but you are applying as a worker, right? I would think that they would accept part time work for that. Were you clear with them that you are applying as a worker and not as a graduate?

bingliusmart

Sep 14, 2009
Hi Leon:
Thanks for your reminder! I've been working for half a year already, and yes I'm a worker.
Maybe I should call the Immigration Office in the US directly to find out?
I called the CIC call centre yesterday, and I guess the lady said no for me, but I don't know the difference between applying as a graduate or worker?

Thanks for your time :) Cheers.

bingliusmart

Sep 14, 2009
BTW, my part time experience were during my full time study in Calgary, and was on an off campus work permit. Maybe that's the reason it won't count... However I worked at the same company as a software developer, not like MC or KFC experience.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Applying for CEC as a graduate means you need two years of school and one year of full time work and this work needs to be after you graduated, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/cec/graduates.asp

If you apply as a worker, you just need 2 years of full time work, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/cec/workers.asp

norieltamayo

Dec 8, 2009
h9 there i need advise
im currently working here(canada) for almost two years and my employer want us back so they gonna try getting us new LMO next year but my problem is my NOC code is not eligible for the nominee and federal program what should i do to get a permanent residence here
thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
What is your NOC and what province are you in? I am assuming it's a low skilled NOC. Can your employer promote you to a skilled NOC? If not, you have a chance under the low skilled programs in BC and/or AB or you could look for another job which is skilled and try to get an LMO for that.

norieltamayo

Dec 8, 2009
thanks for the reply and im in alberta my noc no. is 6641-d its a low skilled
man what is the low skilled program here in alberta?
thanks again

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ok, 6641 is actually under the low skilled program in Alberta. You need to have worked for at least 6 months and get your employer to support your application. More info at http://www.alberta-canada.com/immigration/immigrate/foodservices.html

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Porter is NOC 6672 which is not eligible as far as I can see but NOC 6641 should be food counter attendant or kitchen helper. Did you talk to the AINP and they said you were not eligible? Can you ask your employer to teleport you over to the kitchen, if only on paper?

norieltamayo

Dec 8, 2009
im talking to them right now im asking them to change my job title to food counter instead of bar porter before they gonna get me a new lmo early next year but she said she will ask someone if they can do that will there be a problem that or can they do it without hassle at all?
thanks for your quick response i appreciate it