+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CEC medical for Implanted ICD (Type of Pacemaker)

notyourtype

May 22, 2023
Dear Group,

I have been in Canada for 5 years. Before I entered in Canada I had heart surgery. I came to India for a vacation, I found that I have heart arrhythmia, which requires an implanted device called ICD in the chest. I am a bit concerned that, Will I get rejected because of implanting a pacemaker.

I already have made a profile for express entry and my medical from India is already older than 5 years which means it is already expired. What are the chances of getting rejection from CEC?

Or are there any ways I can contact IRCC and get a confirmation?

Any answers will be appreciated

Sincerely,
NYT

Pdm_ca

Nov 26, 2022
Usually medical exam results are good for 12 months only. You will have to retake your medicals especially with your condition.
But if Canada accepted your medical (which had this condition highlighted/ reported) before you entered the first time, I don't see a reason why they shouldn't now. It's not even a communicable disease. You can speak to IRCC customer care still to clarify your doubts.

notyourtype

May 22, 2023
Thank you for replying. When I got my medical examination, I didn't have any of this problem. It is something which came to surface recently. But I will call IRCC for help.

Again appreciate you responding.

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
Thank you for replying. When I got my medical examination, I didn't have any of this problem. It is something which came to surface recently. But I will call IRCC for help.

Again appreciate you responding.
Two things:
1. I don't think IRCC can tell you anything about inadmissibility due to ICD over the call. You will be talking to people who won't have any idea of how much ICD would cost a year and whether that will cross the inadmissibility criteria.
2. They don't reject an application when it comes to medicals without PFL. You'll get a PFL and 30 days to respond to be PFL.

An ICD itself isn't the cause of PFL:
1. If you are on ICD, but need no meds - good
2. If you are on ICD, but you are taking verapamil - still good, physician may ask for more tests
3. If you are on ICD, but the cost of healthcare is going to go up - this becomes unpredictable.

PFL is only issued if the case officer believes you'll bring significant cost to Canadian healthcare. If you are not using medications or need very cheap medications - you have nothing to worry about. At the end, just give your medicals and see what happens :)