+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CEC - Independent Contractor Experience

pedro65

Feb 15, 2019
It didn't. Applied in march, still waiting, had to move back home and everything.

Yeah COVID but also IRCC really doesn't care
Hi, did you get any answers? How many letters in total? I`m in a similar situation to yours but I`m working as an Administrative Assistant to 2 realtors (paid hourly and working 30h per week, 9-3pm. I just don't want to get my boss into trouble you know. Is there a way? How did you do it? Please if you could give me some help.

Thank you,

pedro65

Feb 15, 2019
@alozz Hey there, after reading this thread I've found that i'm in a similar position as you were. Just wanted to ask how it all eventuated for you? Thanks
Did you apply to CEC? I`m in a similar situation. Don't know what to do. What kind of documents did you send?

Thank you

alozz

Feb 6, 2020
Hi, my case is a bit similar and for almost a year I`ve been working in a Real Estate Office as an Administrative Assistant for 2 Realtors. My bosses just pay me hourly and I work 30h per week, however they said I work as an Independent Contractor. That means all my experience I`m getting as an Adm Assistant will not count towards Canadian Experience Class. However, I fulfill almost all the lines under NOC 1241 Administrative Assistant. I just do not want to screw my bosses with CRA or something, so I`m trying to check with you how you proceeded on that with letters without putting your boss/company into trouble. Please, if you could give some help I will appreciate it A LOT!!!!!

I was thinking of applying under CEC along with a letter explaining but I have the risk of getting rejected and putting my bosses in trouble, I don't want that. I`m just very anxious and nervous about that. Anyways. I`ll look as well to consult an Immigration Lawyer but I know no one here in Vancouver.

Thank you again.
When I was applying (11 freaking months ago, still heard nothing, but that's not the point lol) my lawyer said IRCC does not have a system in place to contact CRA in such cases. So I don't think even if you get rejected you will put your bosses in trouble in any way possible. Especially since IRCC is so behind in processing applications.

pedro65

Feb 15, 2019
When I was applying (11 freaking months ago, still heard nothing, but that's not the point lol) my lawyer said IRCC does not have a system in place to contact CRA in such cases. So I don't think even if you get rejected you will put your bosses in trouble in any way possible. Especially since IRCC is so behind in processing applications.
Oh I understand. I`ll look for an immigration lawyer to see about that. And I want to let my boss know as well, but what did you say to your company? Did you explain the whole situation? I just don't know how to address this topic with my bosses, I`m afraid they will think I`ll put them into trouble. So I`ll talk to a lawyer first.

Thank you

alozz

Feb 6, 2020
Hi, did you get any answers? How many letters in total? I`m in a similar situation to yours but I`m working as an Administrative Assistant to 2 realtors (paid hourly and working 30h per week, 9-3pm. I just don't want to get my boss into trouble you know. Is there a way? How did you do it? Please if you could give me some help.

Thank you,
As I said in the thread before I applied with an Explanation letter (wrote it, lawyer approved), experience letter (from my employer) and a transaction history (showing the bi-weekly payment i received), still haven't heard anything after 11 months.

Edit: I had my lawyer explain the situation as well to my employer, I don't know your employers so I can't really provide any advice

Queenslander88

Star Member
Jun 26, 2018
Sorry Pedro, been busy and dont come here unless someone reaching out directly. For some reason, I missed yer notification.
Look, to me it seems like, your eligible for CEC. Are you able to get all the letters below?
You are fine if
- letter saying you job duties from the company you work OR the Agency you are through
- Another letter about your Hourly pay) and since when you are working in that organization
- And if the company decided your working schedule like 9-5 etc and provide you stuff like computer etc.

Again, I would suggest, please used a lawyer NOT CONSULTANT.

pedro65

Feb 15, 2019
It didn't. Applied in march, still waiting, had to move back home and everything.

Yeah COVID but also IRCC really doesn't care
Hey, any news from your application? I`m thinking of applying as well to CEC. I`m working for 2 Realtors as their administrative assistant for over a year now. Even though I`m an independent contractor, I`m pretty sure I`m "de-facto) employee. But I don't know if I take the risk and get my application rejected. I`ll use all this letters to prove. But my question is what should I say to my employer? I don'`t want him to think I want to put them into trouble.

Thank you again

yhemp

Jan 20, 2021
Hey, did you happen to apply under CEC as an independent contractor?

Thank you,
Yes i ended up submitting an application. I wrote a letter explaining my relationship with work - my role being a fee-for-service, equipment/support provided etc. I attached invoices, NOA, banking transactions. I'd agree there's still a little risk but with an increase intake of applicants all under CEC stream and myself being a health practitioner (they just increased intakes for HP's), i'm hopeful of a good outcome

pedro65

Feb 15, 2019
Oh that
Yes i ended up submitting an application. I wrote a letter explaining my relationship with work - my role being a fee-for-service, equipment/support provided etc. I attached invoices, NOA, banking transactions. I'd agree there's still a little risk but with an increase intake of applicants all under CEC stream and myself being a health practitioner (they just increased intakes for HP's), i'm hopeful of a good outcome
oh that's perfect. I hope you'll have your PR Card very soon.
Are these letters simple? How many letters in total? For the bank transactions, did you ask your bank for a specific document or just the general one?
Do you happen to refer me the Lawyer you used for the application? I maybe book an appointment with her/him to check if I truly qualify or not.

Thank you,

alozz

Feb 6, 2020
Hi guys, for everyone who worked as a contractor but was a de-facto employee, I got my COPR this morning!! It's been 14 months since my application but it was honestly worth the wait. I applied with a letter explaining my situation and a letter from my employer. I had an immigration lawyer (not a consultant) approve my application.

Good luck to everyone.

Reactions: scylla and pedro65

pedro65

Feb 15, 2019
Hi guys, for everyone who worked as a contractor but was a de-facto employee, I got my COPR this morning!! It's been 14 months since my application but it was honestly worth the wait. I applied with a letter explaining my situation and a letter from my employer. I had an immigration lawyer (not a consultant) approve my application.

Good luck to everyone.
Heyyyy, congratulations!!!! Really!!! I`m still thinking if it's worth applying under CEC. Do you mind to refer me the name of the Lawyer you used so I can contact her/him?

Thank you and all the best to you.

alozz

Feb 6, 2020
Heyyyy, congratulations!!!! Really!!! I`m still thinking if it's worth applying under CEC. Do you mind to refer me the name of the Lawyer you used so I can contact her/him?

Thank you and all the best to you.
Thanks man. I think it's worth to give it a shot. I just noticed she is actually a consultant (lol whoops), but she is a trained lawyer in our home country. Here is her website;
https://www.consultimmigrationcanada.com/contact/