+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CEC Draws question

Rohan34mca

Mar 5, 2020
Hi Experts,
I have a closed work permit. I applied for Express entry in March 2020. I don't have one year of experience so I was not getting the 50 points for job. Experts in this forum informed that once I have one year of experience in Aug, I can get a new letter from the employer and 50 points will be added to my score. In addition I can claim points for one year of Canadian work experience. I have few questions considering only ITAs are issued to only CEC

1. If I am living in Canada post August, do I qualify in CEC or I have to take additional steps to get qualified? Or I can never get qualified as my work permit is exempt from an LMIA for other reasons and is employer specific.
2. What do I need to do to claim points for one year of Canadian work experience?

Thank you very much in advance! Appreciate your help!

thevisawhisperer

Champion Member
Jun 10, 2020
West Coast
"1. If I am living in Canada post August, do I qualify in CEC or I have to take additional steps to get qualified?"
The qualifier for CEC is a minimum of 12 months working full time or the equivalent in part time (1560 hours) in a skilled job (NOC 0, A or B). Whether you're living in Canada post August has nothing to do with CEC.

"2. What do I need to do to claim points for one year of Canadian work experience?"
See above.

Reactions: Rohan34mca

Rohan34mca

Mar 5, 2020
My apologies! I should have been clear when I said "living" in Canada, I meant "working full time" in Canada post August. I thought, I need to specifically mention it somewhere in my application to claim the points. As right now my application doesn't even show that I have a valid job offer. Since my job is with closed work permit & is exempt from an LMIA "for other reasons and is employer specific".

Thank you very much! Appreciate your response! Many thanks again!

thevisawhisperer

Champion Member
Jun 10, 2020
West Coast
If you are looking for an extra 50 points for a valid job offer then you do need to be working post August. These are the conditions that apply:

82(1) of the Regulations says:
82 (1) In this section, arranged employment means an offer of employment that is made by a single employer other than an embassy, high commission or consulate in Canada or an employer who is referred to in any of subparagraphs 200(3)(h)(i) to (iii), that is for continuous full-time work in Canada having a duration of at least one year after the date on which a permanent resident visa is issued, and that is in an occupation that is listed in Skill Type 0 Management Occupations or Skill Level A or B of the National Occupational Classification matrix.

2) A qualifying offer of employment is one of the following:
(a) an arranged employment as defined in subsection 82(1) of the Regulations, if (for LMIA exempt, employer specific work permit as in your case)
  • (iii) the foreign national holds a valid work permit issued under the circumstances described in paragraph 204(a) or (c) or section 205 of the Regulations, the offer is made by an employer who is specified on the work permit and the foreign national works for that employer and has accumulated at least one year of full-time work experience, or the equivalent in part-time work, over a continuous period of work in Canada for that employer;
(b) the skilled worker is in Canada and holds a work permit that was issued under the circumstances described in paragraph 204(a) or (c) or in section 205 and is valid on the date on which their application for a permanent resident visa is made and, on the date on which the visa is issued, holds a valid work permit or is authorized to work in Canada under section 186 and
  • (i) the skilled worker is working for an employer specified on the work permit,
  • (ii) that employer has offered an arranged employment to the skilled worker, and
  • (iii) the skilled worker has accumulated at least one year of full-time work experience, or the equivalent in part-time work, over a continuous period of work for that employer;
To summarise, your employer (that is named on your work permit and for whom you've worked full time for at least a year) has to make an offer of continuous, full-time employment for at least a year after you attain PR and you have to have a valid work permit when you apply AND when PR is approved.

It's complicated, but that's the nature of PR applications. Please let us know if you have any follow-up questions.

Hamaviz

Apr 10, 2023
If you are looking for an extra 50 points for a valid job offer then you do need to be working post August. These are the conditions that apply:

82(1) of the Regulations says:
82 (1) In this section, arranged employment means an offer of employment that is made by a single employer other than an embassy, high commission or consulate in Canada or an employer who is referred to in any of subparagraphs 200(3)(h)(i) to (iii), that is for continuous full-time work in Canada having a duration of at least one year after the date on which a permanent resident visa is issued, and that is in an occupation that is listed in Skill Type 0 Management Occupations or Skill Level A or B of the National Occupational Classification matrix.

2) A qualifying offer of employment is one of the following:
(a) an arranged employment as defined in subsection 82(1) of the Regulations, if (for LMIA exempt, employer specific work permit as in your case)
  • (iii) the foreign national holds a valid work permit issued under the circumstances described in paragraph 204(a) or (c) or section 205 of the Regulations, the offer is made by an employer who is specified on the work permit and the foreign national works for that employer and has accumulated at least one year of full-time work experience, or the equivalent in part-time work, over a continuous period of work in Canada for that employer;
(b) the skilled worker is in Canada and holds a work permit that was issued under the circumstances described in paragraph 204(a) or (c) or in section 205 and is valid on the date on which their application for a permanent resident visa is made and, on the date on which the visa is issued, holds a valid work permit or is authorized to work in Canada under section 186 and
  • (i) the skilled worker is working for an employer specified on the work permit,
  • (ii) that employer has offered an arranged employment to the skilled worker, and
  • (iii) the skilled worker has accumulated at least one year of full-time work experience, or the equivalent in part-time work, over a continuous period of work for that employer;
To summarise, your employer (that is named on your work permit and for whom you've worked full time for at least a year) has to make an offer of continuous, full-time employment for at least a year after you attain PR and you have to have a valid work permit when you apply AND when PR is approved.

It's complicated, but that's the nature of PR applications. Please let us know if you have any follow-up questions.

Hello Rohan,

Hope you are doing well. I would appreciate it if you kindly help me with this case:
What happens if someone provides such an offer letter, and then switches their employer after getting drawn out of the pool? (keep working in the same occupation with another employer)