+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CEC common law partner(citizen)'s proof of relationships

JamieMM

Jan 22, 2017
Hi guys, I received ITA under CEC and had a few questions about submitting my documents...My common law partner is Canadian, so he would be "unaccompanied" in my application. Now my checklist is asking me to provide proof of relationships and I need some help on the supporting documents...

1. Statutory Declaration of Common-law Union (IMM5409E) We signed this form and submitted to IRCC in Sept 2016 when I changed my status from PGWP to visitor record. By that time the company I worked for provided life insurance which I named my CLP as my beneficiary...so I checked "I have life insurance names my partner as beneficiary" in this form. Then I resigned coz my PGWP expired and of course life insurance terminated...So question is, is this declaration form still valid to submit? (coz I can't provide proof of the insurance beneficiary anymore.)

2. If not, we are about to sign a new declaration. Should I include other supporting documents (joint account/bills/...) which I didn't have? I have only (1) proof of same address for over 1.5 years, (2) joint cell phone bills under one company name (we used business plan) but he paid the bills. He bought this apt few years ago before we met and he keeps paying all the utilities...so we don't have anything in our both names. Shall we open a joint bank account as further proof of our relationship? Or what other things are helpful to submit?

3. In my application, in the section of address history, I put I started moving into his apt (current address) from Apr 10, 2015. But when we signed the first declaration in Sept 2016, I put start living together date as May 1, 2016, because I didn't changed my address on my bills until late April, so I only have proof of this address in my May bills. So I put May 1 as start living date. So when we are going to sign the NEW declaration, should I put May 1 as start living date again to keep consistency as IRCC may keep a copy of my old version? Or should I put Apr 10 to align with my address history section? This sounds stupid...but please offer some advices...

Thank you so much everyone!

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
JamieMM said:
Hi guys, I received ITA under CEC and had a few questions about submitting my documents...My common law partner is Canadian, so he would be "unaccompanied" in my application. Now my checklist is asking me to provide proof of relationships and I need some help on the supporting documents...

If your checklist doesn't include it, be sure to include your partner's citizenship document (passport, birth certificate).

1. Statutory Declaration of Common-law Union (IMM5409E) We signed this form and submitted to IRCC in Sept 2016 when I changed my status from PGWP to visitor record. By that time the company I worked for provided life insurance which I named my CLP as my beneficiary...so I checked "I have life insurance names my partner as beneficiary" in this form. Then I resigned coz my PGWP expired and of course life insurance terminated...So question is, is this declaration form still valid to submit? (coz I can't provide proof of the insurance beneficiary anymore.)

It is less than 6 months old; I would say you could include it except for the change in "proof" being offered. Maybe include it - with a LOE - along with the new declaration.

2. If not, we are about to sign a new declaration. Should I include other supporting documents (joint account/bills/...) which I didn't have? I have only (1) proof of same address for over 1.5 years, (2) joint cell phone bills under one company name (we used business plan) but he paid the bills. He bought this apt few years ago before we met and he keeps paying all the utilities...so we don't have anything in our both names.

Yes, of course.

Shall we open a joint bank account as further proof of our relationship?
Yes.

Or what other things are helpful to submit?
Your CRA change of marital status form, and/or first page of your tax return showing your CLP partner on your tax return (then you can check box 1D on IMM5409E).
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pbg/tf/rc65/README.html

3. In my application, in the section of address history, I put I started moving into his apt (current address) from Apr 10, 2015. But when we signed the first declaration in Sept 2016, I put start living together date as May 1, 2016, because I didn't changed my address on my bills until late April, so I only have proof of this address in my May bills. So I put May 1 as start living date. So when we are going to sign the NEW declaration, should I put May 1 as start living date again to keep consistency as IRCC may keep a copy of my old version? Or should I put Apr 10 to align with my address history section? This sounds stupid...but please offer some advices...

Little difference. Pick one date and use the same on all forms if you can.

JamieMM

Jan 22, 2017
Thanks so much for your help!!!

Could you do me a favour for another question? For the family proof of status/proof of relationship, my other concern is...I mentioned my brother in my Other Family Members section. He is living in Toronto on Study Permit (not PR/Citizen). Should I include my brother's status (study permit/passport) or any other proof of our relationship (our birth certificates showing same parents) in my application as well? I assume CIC wants my common law partner's status/relationship proof only in this application...any ideas?

Thank you!!

JamieMM

Jan 22, 2017
Also, my Common Law Partner became Citizen few years ago...so he doesn't have a Canadian birth certificate. I am submitting his passport only (that's in the checklist on his part). Is that enough??

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
JamieMM said:
Thanks so much for your help!!!

Could you do me a favour for another question? For the family proof of status/proof of relationship, my other concern is...I mentioned my brother in my Other Family Members section. He is living in Toronto on Study Permit (not PR/Citizen). Should I include my brother's status (study permit/passport) or any other proof of our relationship (our birth certificates showing same parents) in my application as well?
No, not necessary.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
JamieMM said:
Also, my Common Law Partner became Citizen few years ago...so he doesn't have a Canadian birth certificate. I am submitting his passport only (that's in the checklist on his part). Is that enough??
Your CLP should have a Citizenship certificate, you can include that (but not essential as long as s/he has a Canadian passport). By passport, I assume you mean Canadian passport, so, yes, include that.