+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CEC Applications - Oct 2020 **Join Here**

kumori

Star Member
May 13, 2021
Hi guys,

It's good to see almost all Oct 2020 folks got our result. I just wanna share my experience with CRA after status change so you guys can learn it from me.

When I got my new SIN at Service Canada, they said only need to notice banks and employers as CRA will get my new SIN automatically, don't worry :rolleyes: Yeah, I wasn't, until I realized that I need to create a new CRA account, as the old one linked to the old SIN, not a big deal. Logged in and saw that I OWED CRA money for GST/HST credit plus OTB. I was like, wtf, I called CRA around the end of June, they said again, don't worry, system is syncing my information now, I only change my SIN then no reason for owning money for that benefits. :rolleyes: YET, this morning, I official received messages in my new CRA account said I owe them money. Called again and worked through 1hr of wait time, the lady said, SIN is automatically changed, but I have to update my status with them, with proof of CoPR or PR card, so they can confirm my status. Like, what? o_O I never heard of residence status affecting those benefits, just marital status or having kids. But yeah, that's my story. I suggest you guys to have your status updated with CRA, or do it yourself to save the headache and heart-attack like me (I did my own tax so I have to chase them myself).

Not sure if any of you got this trouble but I think it's worth to share so we all new PRs can avoid, or at least know how to deal with it. Have a great day, guys :D

Kerikeri

Nov 29, 2020
Hi guys,

It's good to see almost all Oct 2020 folks got our result. I just wanna share my experience with CRA after status change so you guys can learn it from me.

When I got my new SIN at Service Canada, they said only need to notice banks and employers as CRA will get my new SIN automatically, don't worry :rolleyes: Yeah, I wasn't, until I realized that I need to create a new CRA account, as the old one linked to the old SIN, not a big deal. Logged in and saw that I OWED CRA money for GST/HST credit plus OTB. I was like, wtf, I called CRA around the end of June, they said again, don't worry, system is syncing my information now, I only change my SIN then no reason for owning money for that benefits. :rolleyes: YET, this morning, I official received messages in my new CRA account said I owe them money. Called again and worked through 1hr of wait time, the lady said, SIN is automatically changed, but I have to update my status with them, with proof of CoPR or PR card, so they can confirm my status. Like, what? o_O I never heard of residence status affecting those benefits, just marital status or having kids. But yeah, that's my story. I suggest you guys to have your status updated with CRA, or do it yourself to save the headache and heart-attack like me (I did my own tax so I have to chase them myself).

Not sure if any of you got this trouble but I think it's worth to share so we all new PRs can avoid, or at least know how to deal with it. Have a great day, guys :D
Im going through something similar, in my case my child benefit was affected so i had to upload the copr on my old sin. They told me to create a new my cra account but i cant when i called they said that i have to wait for the information to be loaded to the new sin... They had me in circles and i am still confused... So i get what you are saying

moioxomiya

Star Member
Aug 22, 2019
Hi guys,

Thank you for sharing!