+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CEC Application after 1 year open work permit

bukeshi

Jul 4, 2021
Hi All,

I’m new to this forum. Kindly excuse if if this a dumb question.
Currently we’re Outland & aged 34. I’m planning to send my spouse for 2 years Masters program in Canada next year. Also, I’ll be accompanying her later as a dependent. I’ve the below questions.
1. I read that as a dependent I’m entitled to Open Work permit. In case if I receive a job and work for more than 1 year in Canada being as a dependent, can I launch my PR EOI application separately as I would be having 1 year plus under CEC.
2. It will be 37 years by the time when my spouse completes the Masters. In case if my spouse receives a job offer after 2 years of studies (During PGWP), can my spouse claim additional points under valid job offer supported by LMIA which will give additional 50 points increasing the scores?

Prabh9257

Star Member
Feb 13, 2021
Hi All,

I’m new to this forum. Kindly excuse if if this a dumb question.
Currently we’re Outland & aged 34. I’m planning to send my spouse for 2 years Masters program in Canada next year. Also, I’ll be accompanying her later as a dependent. I’ve the below questions.
1. I read that as a dependent I’m entitled to Open Work permit. In case if I receive a job and work for more than 1 year in Canada being as a dependent, can I launch my PR EOI application separately as I would be having 1 year plus under CEC.
2. It will be 37 years by the time when my spouse completes the Masters. In case if my spouse receives a job offer after 2 years of studies (During PGWP), can my spouse claim additional points under valid job offer supported by LMIA which will give additional 50 points increasing the scores?
1. Yes you will be able to apply for PR under CEC after 1 year but you have to complete 1560 hours of work in Canada and also comply with requirements like IELTS for CEC and you need to have your WES Certificate for your qualification ready. ( you might have a low CRS score due to your age but whether or not you will get an invitation to apply depends on the situation at that time which is very dynamic these days)

2. your your spouse can claim 50 points in case there is a valid job offer but your combined score will definitely be impacted by age I would say try to maximize your scores by improving IELTS scores etc.
All the best

Reactions: Deepanshu96