Passport Req..
not yet
VISA ISSUED...
not yet
LANDED..........
not yet :-(
Hi All,
Looking for advice:

Applied under CEC August 2012, subsequently my renewal Work Permit was denied May 2013... Lawyer applied for Temporary Resident Permit, Denied Sept 2013, now have no Status....
Medicals were done October 12th, BioData forms sent and RPRF paid in August...

Does anyone know cases where PR was denied for being in Canada without status? Or (HOPEFULLY) we are far enough along in the process that we are okay?

Bad enough I had to resign from my job in May, now terrified that my PR will be denied. Contemplating going to the border (it is 6 hours away), but terrified we will be denied re-entry and have nowhere to go as this is our home!

Lawyer says he feels "very comfortable" having us just wait it out - there is no removal order, and file notes say no removal action until completion of PR application processing but CIC has been so unpredictable through this process I don't know what to do :(

Thanks kindly for any replies/advice/experiences!

lithium002

Nov 11, 2008
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb/07/2013
Doc's Request.
Aug/22/2013
AOR Received.
Mar/19/2013
Med's Request
Dec/01/2013
Med's Done....
Dec/09/2013
Passport Req..
Mar/13/2014
VISA ISSUED...
Mar/26/2014
LANDED..........
Mar/30/2014
This is from the CIC website:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=517&t=15

I found this link, although it doesn't apply to CEC applications, but does to applicants waiting for permanent residency:
http://www.bellissimolawgroup.com/can-my-mom-stay-in-canada

frustrated99

Star Member
Oct 21, 2013
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa - Pilot
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-09-2012
AOR Received.
10-2012
IELTS Request
sent with application
Med's Request
14-05-2013, sent to unknown email, 2nd req 28-09-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2013, status to "meds recd" 14-11-2013
Interview........
not yet
Passport Req..
not yet
VISA ISSUED...
not yet
LANDED..........
Thanks for the links; what I am afraid of is the technical answer is always "Never let your status expire"... I didn't let it, it was denied!! And going to the border to apply for a Visitor Permit after having work/TRP denials is a VERY scary and complicated issue, I have 3 teenagers, in high school, it could totally disrupt their lives and it is all in the hands of the Officers at the border who Sometimes don't consider real life difficulties. Plus we are so close to the END of this process it doesn't make sense!

From what I have read on CIC website, this is exactly the kind of scenario that the BOWP was created for, yet they won't grandfather those of us that were under Implied status when they came out with it.

Anyone else with this type of experience? Really need help making a good decision for my family....

eds1275

Champion Member
Sep 7, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-01-2013
AOR Received.
17-02-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
17-02-2013
Med's Request
04-11-2013
Med's Done....
06-11-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
04-12-2013
VISA ISSUED...
04-12-2013 (received on 17-12-2013)
LANDED..........
19-12-2013 (Peace Bridge, Fort Erie)
Why can't you apply for bridge open work permit? Refer ob 485

frustrated99 said:
Thanks for the links; what I am afraid of is the technical answer is always "Never let your status expire"... I didn't let it, it was denied!! And going to the border to apply for a Visitor Permit after having work/TRP denials is a VERY scary and complicated issue, I have 3 teenagers, in high school, it could totally disrupt their lives and it is all in the hands of the Officers at the border who Sometimes don't consider real life difficulties. Plus we are so close to the END of this process it doesn't make sense!

From what I have read on CIC website, this is exactly the kind of scenario that the BOWP was created for, yet they won't grandfather those of us that were under Implied status when they came out with it.

Anyone else with this type of experience? Really need help making a good decision for my family....

lpc19800

Champion Member
May 21, 2013
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 14 2013
AOR Received.
February 24 2013
Med's Request
November 13, 2013
Med's Done....
December 5, 2013
Interview........
Waived: RPRF requested: November 13, 2013
Passport Req..
Visa exempt
VISA ISSUED...
January 6, 2014
LANDED..........
January 29, 2014
eds1275 said:
Why can't you apply for bridge open work permit? Refer ob 485
Is that only available to those still in status?
It's also too late to apply for restoration if status

Do you know why your applications were all denied?

To be honest with so much at stake, I would take your lawyer's advice.

frustrated99

Star Member
Oct 21, 2013
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa - Pilot
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-09-2012
AOR Received.
10-2012
IELTS Request
sent with application
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
not yet
Passport Req..
not yet
VISA ISSUED...
not yet
LANDED..........
Yes, you need to still have an unexpired work permit to apply for the BOWP - The application for a new work permit was denied because my company's lawyer decided to apply for a special "Treaty Investor Status Work Permit" under NAFTA - an application stream that hardly ever gets used, and the lawyer feels that the VO didn't even understand the status correctly and therefore just denied it saying the company or position didn't meet the requirements; the company didn't want to contend with the LMO process anymore and wanted to get a longer permit than 1 year. When that was denied we (through the same lawyer) applied for a Temporary Resident Permit, that was just denied with CIC saying that TRP's are reserved for very extreme cases (Medical reasons, Best interest of a minor child, etc) and they didn't feel we qualified. The lawyer feels both decisions were wrong and could easily be challenged in court, but that takes a super long time (and god knows how much money).

The lawyer's advice is to sit and wait and see what happens once the medicals are received. We have had status for 6 years, I am not use to this, and afraid our PR will now be denied on a technicality.

How do they think it is reasonable for us to leave the country for 1, 2, 3, who knows how many months until the CEC application is completed when we are already here and well established?? I just don't understand :mad:

rajjj

Oct 12, 2010
TORONTO
Category........
Visa Office......
cpp ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-02-2013
Doc's Request.
FEE PAID ONLINE
Nomination.....
NO
AOR Received.
05- 04-2013
IELTS Request
yes
frustrated99 said:
Yes, you need to still have an unexpired work permit to apply for the BOWP - The application for a new work permit was denied because my company's lawyer decided to apply for a special "Treaty Investor Status Work Permit" under NAFTA - an application stream that hardly ever gets used, and the lawyer feels that the VO didn't even understand the status correctly and therefore just denied it saying the company or position didn't meet the requirements; the company didn't want to contend with the LMO process anymore and wanted to get a longer permit than 1 year. When that was denied we (through the same lawyer) applied for a Temporary Resident Permit, that was just denied with CIC saying that TRP's are reserved for very extreme cases (Medical reasons, Best interest of a minor child, etc) and they didn't feel we qualified. The lawyer feels both decisions were wrong and could easily be challenged in court, but that takes a super long time (and god knows how much money).SO SOORY FOR THAT

i thinks u should apply again bowp with cover letter where u can mention u r situation about u and u family and u r kids just apply just online all sitution .....

The lawyer's advice is to sit and wait and see what happens once the medicals are received. We have had status for 6 years, I am not use to this, and afraid our PR will now be denied on a technicality.

How do they think it is reasonable for us to leave the country for 1, 2, 3, who knows how many months until the CEC application is completed when we are already here and well established?? I just don't understand :mad:

Konan1982

Champion Member
Mar 22, 2012
frustrated99 said:
Yes, you need to still have an unexpired work permit to apply for the BOWP - The application for a new work permit was denied because my company's lawyer decided to apply for a special "Treaty Investor Status Work Permit" under NAFTA - an application stream that hardly ever gets used, and the lawyer feels that the VO didn't even understand the status correctly and therefore just denied it saying the company or position didn't meet the requirements; the company didn't want to contend with the LMO process anymore and wanted to get a longer permit than 1 year. When that was denied we (through the same lawyer) applied for a Temporary Resident Permit, that was just denied with CIC saying that TRP's are reserved for very extreme cases (Medical reasons, Best interest of a minor child, etc) and they didn't feel we qualified. The lawyer feels both decisions were wrong and could easily be challenged in court, but that takes a super long time (and god knows how much money).

That is why i never trust lawyers..You needed only BOWP with valid WP..

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think it's risky but you are in this position now - I don't really see what difference it would make at this point if you were to leave. One of the underlying principles of the CEC rules are that you kept valid status while being in the country...

I wish you good luck dude!

MrB

Star Member
Aug 24, 2010
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
How long ago did you get your refusal? I know it is very heart wrenching considering your plight but my suggestion would be for you to leave the country voluntarily so it doesn't jeopardize you PR application. The reason is simple, because you don't have any status in the country that's already a violation of the Act. Even if you were to appeal the refusal at the federal court, it still doesn't buy you time. Why I suggest you should voluntarily leave is that a removal order can be issued and enforced anytime, if that happens that makes you inadmissible to Canada and your permanent resident visa may be revoked.

esbex550

Jun 18, 2013
Currently in India.. Based in Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP- OTTAWA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-09-2012
Doc's Request.
06-11-2012
AOR Received.
22-10-2012
IELTS Request
10-1-2013
File Transfer...
04-12-2012
Med's Request
07-10-2013
Med's Done....
22-10-2013
Interview........
waived....Decision Made 13-01-2014
Passport Req..
10-01-2014. Sent PP on 03-02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
09-01-2014. Received PP on 13-02-2014
LANDED..........
landing in April
frustrated99 said:
Hi All,
Looking for advice:

Applied under CEC August 2012, subsequently my renewal Work Permit was denied May 2013... Lawyer applied for Temporary Resident Permit, Denied Sept 2013, now have no Status....
Medicals were done October 12th, BioData forms sent and RPRF paid in August...

Does anyone know cases where PR was denied for being in Canada without status? Or (HOPEFULLY) we are far enough along in the process that we are okay?

Bad enough I had to resign from my job in May, now terrified that my PR will be denied. Contemplating going to the border (it is 6 hours away), but terrified we will be denied re-entry and have nowhere to go as this is our home!

Lawyer says he feels "very comfortable" having us just wait it out - there is no removal order, and file notes say no removal action until completion of PR application processing but CIC has been so unpredictable through this process I don't know what to do :(

Thanks kindly for any replies/advice/experiences!
Why dont u apply for visitors visa?

Hopefulagain

Apr 20, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
frustrated99 said:

I agree that technically you did not let the status expire, it was denied, but that doesnt absolve you of the responsibility. By that reasoning, anybody whose visa has been refused has the authority to come/stay in Canada because they didnt let the status expire. Now, whatever the reason was for the refusal of your visa, your next steps should be to ensure that things dont take an uglier turn - your options are leave for your home country or apply for visitor visa.

If you are living in Canada without a valid status, there is a very good chance that you will be "ordered" to leave. If that happens, you may also lose your chance at getting a PR. And, you have to remember that the order to leave will not only be against you but, also against your family members.

Would you really want a removal order on your children's file? Although the lawyer is giving you the advise to ignore your non-status, i think you should seriously re-consider that recommendation. Remember its not the lawyer who will get a removal order but you...and, your family. He/she will get paid nonetheless.

frustrated99

Star Member
Oct 21, 2013
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa - Pilot
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-09-2012
AOR Received.
10-2012
IELTS Request
sent with application
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
not yet
Passport Req..
not yet
VISA ISSUED...
not yet
LANDED..........
Yes I am leaning toward going to the border and applying for a Visitor's Permit, just terrified that we will be denied re-entry - We have no criminal histories, medical issues, etc and as I said we have completed our Medicals and see no reason for any issues there so anticipate that we would be getting COPR soon (we are Visa exempt) except now for not having status....

Anyone with experience requesting Visitor Permit after WP denial(s) at a border crossing (we would go to either Coutts or Carway, AB)? |||I'm afraid it can be so unpredictable just based on the mood of the Officer at the border crossing...

squishyface

Star Member
Jun 10, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-01-2013
AOR Received.
28-02-2013
Med's Request
26-11-2013
Med's Done....
23-12-2013 med's received 20-01-2014
Passport Req..
visa exempt
VISA ISSUED...
Decision Made 24-01-14
frustrated99 said:
Yes I am leaning toward going to the border and applying for a Visitor's Permit, just terrified that we will be denied re-entry - We have no criminal histories, medical issues, etc and as I said we have completed our Medicals and see no reason for any issues there so anticipate that we would be getting COPR soon (we are Visa exempt) except now for not having status....

Anyone with experience requesting Visitor Permit after WP denial(s) at a border crossing (we would go to either Coutts or Carway, AB)? |||I'm afraid it can be so unpredictable just based on the mood of the Officer at the border crossing...
I have had a similar experience. I can imagine how stressed and scared you must be.
i wont go into details of my experience, but i do want to warn you that there is a high possibility of you being denied re-entry at the border considering all that has gone on. They do not care if you are in the final stage of getting PR.
I stayed a day over my WP and they threatened me of deportation right there at coutts.
In the end, it is up to you. But i fear that you would be denied re-entry if you tried that route.
If you decided to take the risk, talk to them and try to ave a feel before you cross the border.
if it doesnt work at coutts, go to carway and do the same thing. Explain your situation before you cross the border.
Be calm. Remember you did not intentionally over stay your visa. make it clear that you are trying to comply with the law.
You will be extremely nervous as if you have done something horrible and they can sense that and will suspect you of something else.
Be as collected and articulate as you can be when you talk to them.

dizon09

Jan 16, 2013
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
06-Nov-2013
Doc's Request.
Biodata Form
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
10-Dec-2013
IELTS Request
Submitted
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
15-May-2014
Med's Done....
07-Jun-2014
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Jul-2014
VISA ISSUED...
11-Jul-2014
LANDED..........
15-Jul-2014 rainbow bridge
My cousin was deported and was blacklisted here in Canada because of the expired visa. Hopefully it will not happen to you. The best thing is to apply immediately for a visitors permit and your children as international students.
What my officemate did was he applied for a business visa when his working permit expired.

I was put on temporary layoff last May in Toronto and an HR in Vancouver told me that if I have already received a file no. for my PR application, they can apply me for the bridge visa and they can hire me immediately.