+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CDN Parent born outside of Canada has child also born outside Canada. What now?

arambi

Aug 16, 2014
dkera said:
Actually it wasn't clear; I insist. The OP did say that he is a canadian born abroad (in his first post) but DID not clarify how he got that citizenship. When he clarified that it was because his father was canadian that made the kid not canadian. If however the dad of the newborn had acquired his citizenship via naturalization then the kid would be canadian.

So, again, during his first post, things were not clear.
Agree. OP did not say how father acquired Canadian citizenship, which is critical in this case

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
arambi said:
Agree. OP did not say how father acquired Canadian citizenship, which is critical in this case
If the father is a naturalized Canadian, he is, by definition, not a canadian born abroad.

But I agree that the OP didn't specify how the father got citizenship. The father could have been naturalized. However if the father was naturalized, I don't think the OP would be asking the question.

VermiciousKnish

Feb 27, 2014
Appreciate all the feedback on this. One final question;

CIC website states the following;
If you are a Canadian citizen who is sponsoring a spouse or partner, and you have a child together, your child may be a Canadian citizen. A Canadian citizen is not eligible to be sponsored. The official way to confirm whether your child is a Canadian citizen is to apply for a proof of citizenship.

Why do they recommend doing this? Is there any reason to waste time filling out an application for proof of citizenship having confirmed what we suspect is already the case?

dkera

Jun 21, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VermiciousKnish said:

If you are a Canadian citizen who is sponsoring a spouse or partner, and you have a child together, your child may be a Canadian citizen. A Canadian citizen is not eligible to be sponsored. The official way to confirm whether your child is a Canadian citizen is to apply for a proof of citizenship.

Why do they recommend doing this? Is there any reason to waste time filling out an application for proof of citizenship having confirmed what we suspect is already the case?
if all the information you gave us is exactly accurate then the kid is not a canadian citizen. if you want to try it out, go ahead but unless the reality is different than the details you gave us I don't see you being successful

VermiciousKnish

Feb 27, 2014
dkera said:
if all the information you gave us is exactly accurate then the kid is not a canadian citizen. if you want to try it out, go ahead but unless the reality is different than the details you gave us I don't see you being successful
Info is accurate. I do not see any reason to apply for proof of citizenship. Just wondering why they even suggest people go through that process.

Now just wondering about sponsor eligibility being that he already was a "sponsor" (for his spouse) in the previous 3 years. I have not looked at the Act yet, but wording on website may seem to exclude a second sponsorship, regardless of the situation.

dkera

Jun 21, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VermiciousKnish said:
Info is accurate. I do not see any reason to apply for proof of citizenship. Just wondering why they even suggest people go through that process.

Now just wondering about sponsor eligibility being that he already was a "sponsor" (for his spouse) in the previous 3 years. I have not looked at the Act yet, but wording on website may seem to exclude a second sponsorship, regardless of the situation.
I'm not an immigration lawyer but from what I understand you can't sponsor a "new" spouse in less than 3 years. I wouldn't think that applies to children.
Best bet; call CIC and ask.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VermiciousKnish said:

This means that a Canadian citizen (who was born in Canada) does not need to sponsor his/her child born outside of Canada, because the child is already a Canadian citizen. Also, a Canadian citizen (who was born outside of Canada) does not need to sponsor a child born outside of Canada before April 17, 2009. Your situation deals with a Canadian citizen who was born outside of Canada and has a child who was born outside of Canada after April 17, 2009. Therefore, the child does not qualify for Canadian citizenship and needs to be sponsored.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
alphazip said:
This means that a Canadian citizen (who was born in Canada) does not need to sponsor his/her child born outside of Canada, because the child is already a Canadian citizen. Also, a Canadian citizen (who was born outside of Canada) does not need to sponsor a child born outside of Canada before April 17, 2009. Your situation deals with a Canadian citizen who was born outside of Canada and has a child who was born outside of Canada after April 17, 2009. Therefore, the child does not qualify for Canadian citizenship and needs to be sponsored.
Exactly this. That statement is aimed at parents who were born in Canada and have children born outside of Canada.