+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CCB, OHIP, Licence Questions | Canadian Dad | Baby born in Aus

bluewhale02

Mar 18, 2019
Hi,

Background:

• I am a Canadian Citizen. My wife is Australian.
  • We are in Australia at the moment.
  • Our child (3 years old) was born in Australia. She has a Canadian Passport + an Australian Passport.
  • We haven't been to Canada since our child was born; we are moving to Ontario in August.
Questions:
  1. How/When should I apply for CCB for our daughter? Does it have to be after we move? Will there be a waiting period before we receive any payments?
  2. Can our daughter enroll into a Childcare centre as soon as we arrive in August and receive government subsidy for it?
  3. Our daughter's OHIP card - do we apply for it only after getting to Ontario and waiting 3 months?
  4. My OHIP card - do I have to reactivate it and wait for 3 months?
  5. My Driver's licence: I have had a full G licence, though it has expired by now. How/when can I get a new one?

Many Thanks,
BW

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,

Background:

• Our child (3 years old) was born in Australia. She has a Canadian Passport + an Australian Passport.
  • We haven't been to Canada since our child was born; we are moving to Ontario in August.
Questions:
  1. How/When should I apply for CCB for our daughter? Does it have to be after we move? Will there be a waiting period before we receive any payments?
  2. Can our daughter enroll into a Childcare centre as soon as we arrive in August and receive government subsidy for it?
  3. Our daughter's OHIP card - do we apply for it only after getting to Ontario and waiting 3 months?
  5. My Driver's licence: I have had a full G licence, though it has expired by now. How/when can I get a new one?

Many Thanks,
BW
1. You can't apply until you have moved to Canada. You can apply for CCB as soon as you have moved to Canada.
2. If you are eligible for the subsidy, then you can certainly apply. Note that childcare spaces tend to be in short supply. Put yourself on a waiting list now.
3. Three month waiting period will apply
4. Three month waiting period will apply if you don't meet the residency requirement for OHIP
5. I don't know - hopefully someone else can help.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hi,

Background:

Questions:

Many Thanks,
BW
How much will your licence be expired by when you return to Canada?

https://www.ontario.ca/page/renew-expired-drivers-licence

Expired or cancelled full licence
If your driver’s licence is expired or cancelled, the process to renew depends on how long the licence has been invalid.

Invalid: 12 months or less
You do not need to re-take any tests to renew.

Invalid: 1-3 years
You will need to take an eye test, before you can renew.

Invalid: 3-10 years
To renew, you will need to take:

• a written knowledge test
  • an eye test
  • two road tests (G1 and G2)
    • you can book your first road test as soon as you pass your knowledge and eye tests
    • you can book your G2 road test, as soon as you pass your G1 road test
Invalid: 10+ years
You need to re-apply as a brand new driver and re-take all required tests. You cannot fast-track and need to serve all mandatory waiting periods.

How to renew
You cannot renew online. You need to renew a driver’s licence in person.

To renew and take any required tests:

• visit a DriveTest centre or ServiceOntario at College Park in Toronto
  • bring original identification that shows your legal name, date of birth and your signature
  • pay a $90 fee (plus any additional test fees that apply)
You will get a temporary driver’s permit. Your new licence card will arrive in the mail.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Agree with the daycare suggestion. Put your name on multiple waiting list now. Anticipate that you are unlikely to get any daycare subsidies. It may not make sense to put your child in daycare depending on how much you make.

bluewhale02

Mar 18, 2019
Hi All,
Thanks a lot. Really helpful info.
Drivers licence
Looks like I will have to start from the knowledge test as it expired more than 3 years ago. Will I able to drive with my Australian full licence? If so, for how long?

Childcare subsidy
I am pretty sure that we would be eligible for the subsidy from a net family income point of view.
What I am wondering though is whether the subsidy can start right after we arrive or if there is a waiting period like OHIP?

CCB
After applying to CCB, how long before they start paying? Do they back pay from the date of the application?

Thanks
BW

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi All,
Thanks a lot. Really helpful info.
Drivers licence
Looks like I will have to start from the knowledge test as it expired more than 3 years ago. Will I able to drive with my Australian full licence? If so, for how long?

Childcare subsidy
I am pretty sure that we would be eligible for the subsidy from a net family income point of view.
What I am wondering though is whether the subsidy can start right after we arrive or if there is a waiting period like OHIP?

CCB
After applying to CCB, how long before they start paying? Do they back pay from the date of the application?

Thanks
BW
Are you moving to BC? There is no general subsidy for childcare in Ontario.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Finding a subsidized spot will be extremely difficult. Given that you have just returned to Canada not sue whether you would qualify. Ontario has subsidized spots but you usually have to have a very low income to qualify and there are often a waiting list for spots. Would never count on receiving a subsidized daycare spot in Ontario.