+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CCB Application Questions – Canadian Citizen married to non-Canadian

TriniKRN

Jun 20, 2019
Hello all,

Background:

My wife, our two kids and I recently moved to Canada. My wife is a Canadian citizen (by birth) but has lived in Trinidad since she was a baby. A couple weeks ago she submitted her application to sponsor me inland. Our kids were born in Trinidad, but have their Canadian Citizenship and Passports. My wife is now interested in applying for their Canadian Child Benefits (CCB). For the last 9 years of marriage I have been the breadwinner. For the last three years my wife has been a stay at home mom, caring for our two kids.

Questions:

The T4114-19e CCB Guide Booklet on page 11 under "Do you have a social insurance number" states that "You and your spouse […] need a social insurance number (SIN) to apply for the CCB." However, "if Service Canada will not give you a SIN, you can still apply for the CCB if you meet all of the conditions listed under 'Are you eligible?'"

My wife has her SIN. I do not have an SIN and cannot get one as I am on a Temporary Resident VISA awaiting AOR from the sponsorship application (no Work Permit, Study Permit, Visitor Record, etc.).

1. Is my wife eligible for CCB application if she alone is a Canadian Citizen with an SIN?

2. Following from that, did the guide mean "if Service Canada will not give your spouse a SIN, you (the parent Primarily responsible) can still apply for the CCB if you meet all of the conditions listed under 'Are you eligible?'"?
Note – I am thinking the answer is yes due to the points mentioned under "Are you eligible?", but would like confirmation.

My wife and I have seen the term "retroactive payment". Our kids are now 3 and 5 years old. Under the section "Who should apply?" the guide states "Your application for the CCB is considered late if it includes a period that started more than 11 months ago. If your application is late, you may not get payments for the entire period requested."

3. Will my wife be eligible for benefits from birth with respects to both kids? If no, what may affect the coverage period?
Note – My understanding seems to indicate that any retroactive payment would be only cover the beginning of the current tax year (July 2019) to the date the benefit is activated.

4. Our kids have been with us from birth. Does my wife have to prove that she was the person who is primarily responsible for the care and upbringing of our children?
Note – This is primarily a concern as our three year old has not yet started school, and we wonder how we would provide proof (other than pictures), that would fit into the class of documents outlined under "prove that you are primarily responsible" in the "How do you apply?" section (page 10).

Under the section "Do you have a spouse or common-law partner?" it states:

"If your spouse or common-law partner is a non-resident of Canada during any part of the year, you will have to fill out Form CTB9, Income of Non-Resident Spouse or Common-Law Partner, for each year or part of a year that they are a non-resident of Canada."

5. Do I fall under the category "non-resident"?
Note – It seems like an obvious term. However, in researching the term it seems to me to refer to Canadian citizens who have no residential ties (for tax purposes) in Canada.

6. If I am considered a non-resident, for how many years (retroactively) will my wife have to fill out the CTB9?

Thanks in advance for all assistance.