+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CBSA entry exit record

taco123

Apr 9, 2017
Hello,
I complete 730 days in May 2017 . Split; few months in 2014 ; rest continuous sept. 2015 to May 2017.

I plan to apply for renewal of PR end of June with some buffer days. I have read some posts where CIC made mistakes in calculating days.
And then I read some posts one could order CBSA records but they only contain entry records.

So, my point is if they CBSA does not record exits then how does CIC calculate days at all?
I am worried about my 2014 stay as I travelled outside Canada twice in 2014 and I did not save tickets / boarding passes.
Only thing I have is entry stamps to my country , Canada bank statements for 2014.

Any suggestions please?
thanks

mats

Nov 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-01-2011
AOR Received.
18-03-2011
Med's Done....
18-03-2012
Passport Req..
Sent 19-03-2012
VISA ISSUED...
30-Mar-2012
LANDED..........
12-July-2012
You can ask CBSA to give your exit records too. The CBSA travel history report has exit record provided your exit is via USA. If you exited to a country other than USA then they do will not have that details. Normally IRCC will ask you to get record of movement for countries if they feel the need after seeing the stamps in your passport.

taco123

Apr 9, 2017
Thanks Mats.
In 2014 , I exited Canada twice for India and once for USA by air. USA record; I printed it out from US CBP website .

Indian entries and exits,
I can prove only by Indian arrival and departure stamps on my passport. They do not provide any records.

In such a scenario, what should be my strategy in applying for a PR? Should I delay my application to sept. 2017 when
my 2014 stay won't matter.

mats said:
You can ask CBSA to give your exit records too. The CBSA travel history report has exit record provided your exit is via USA. If you exited to a country other than USA then they do will not have that details. Normally IRCC will ask you to get record of movement for countries if they feel the need after seeing the stamps in your passport.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
taco123 said:
Hello,
I complete 730 days in May 2017 . Split; few months in 2014 ; rest continuous sept. 2015 to May 2017.

I plan to apply for renewal of PR end of June with some buffer days. I have read some posts where CIC made mistakes in calculating days.
And then I read some posts one could order CBSA records but they only contain entry records.

So, my point is if they CBSA does not record exits then how does CIC calculate days at all?
I am worried about my 2014 stay as I travelled outside Canada twice in 2014 and I did not save tickets / boarding passes.
Only thing I have is entry stamps to my country , Canada bank statements for 2014.

Any suggestions please?
thanks
Burden to calculate days is on the PR.

Burden to accurately and completely report all travel dates is on the PR.

IRCC (used to be CIC but not since 2015) mostly looks for indications the PR's report or calculation is or is not complete and accurate. Thus, for example, IRCC looks to CBSA travel history not for the purpose of doing its own calculation but for the purpose of verifying whether the PR's reported travel dates are consistent with, or vary from, the CBSA travel history.

Basically IRCC does not calculate but verifies whether it will rely on the PR's calculation or not. If not, PR could have problems since that can mean IRCC does not count days the PR does not affirmatively prove were in Canada.

Thus, one of the problems with cutting-it-close is that can affect extent to which IRCC will accept or rely on the PR's claims to be present in Canada between last reported date of entry and next reported date of exit. (Trying to prove a negative, that is trying to prove there were no additional entries or exits, can be quite difficult.)

That is, for those cutting-it-close (which can mean those with less than 900 or more days presence), proof of travel dates does not do the trick . . . indications of actual presence in-between travel dates can be just as important if not more important.

For PRs with history of being outside Canada more than in Canada, ten or fifty or ninety buffer days probably makes little difference. Main thing is whether it is apparent the PR is now well-settled permanently in Canada.

On the upside, with even relatively minimal proof of actual presence, getting past the threshold (730 plus 1), all the PR needs to do is continue to stay in Canada and eventually a new PR card will be issued and delivered. The problem is mostly about potential delays, how long it can take, especially for those who end up in Secondary Review.

In contrast, those cutting-it-close who go abroad without a valid PR card may be risking a negative outcome.