+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CBSA confirmed that online classes are NOT an essential reason to travel

GradStudent18

Nov 11, 2019
Sadly, this rumour is true. IRCC has not put up anything about this on their website but I called CBSA multiple times. They said that online classes do not form an essential reason to enter Canada.

Even though I have the permit approval before March 18, my travel is now NOT ESSENTIAL as it's online for the fall.

University international student office is also saying the same thing. This is so sad.

Reactions: proceso

GradStudent18

Nov 11, 2019
The issue is --

What if the January - April term is also online ? Then I can't enter by January beginning also, as again online classes will be non-essential.

This may lead to me doing more than 50% of the program from home which will make me ineligible for PGWP.

Sigh...all this is so difficult to deal with. Sad.

costeltin

Jul 9, 2020
Sadly, this rumour is true. IRCC has not put up anything about this on their website but I called CBSA multiple times. They said that online classes do not form an essential reason to enter Canada.

Even though I have the permit approval before March 18, my travel is now NOT ESSENTIAL as it's online for the fall.

University international student office is also saying the same thing. This is so sad.
I guess it depends where you enter... I figured they would say something like that.

However, I see someone said they we able to enter https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/arrived-today-for-fall-study-permit-issued-online-classes.693892/page-3#post-8718102

GradStudent18

Nov 11, 2019
Too early to speculate - for now sept 2020 - is online

IRCC never penalizes for its own policies - so focus on what is on hand now

good luck
Thanks a lot for your reply and kind words...really grateful. I agree I need to focus on what's in hand now.

But the thing is this " online classes being non essential and therefore no entry " rule is not put up anywhere on the IRCC website.

This was conveyed by CBSA agents on phone. If there's some clarity regarding entry-denial / allowance by IRCC in regards to online courses, then it would be reassuring.

After all, having secured admission at the master's level after scoring 95 percentile in the GRE, and applying entirely by myself for the permit, it seems as though the pandemic is toppling down all the plans, dreams, and most of all hard work :(

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Phone agents are not CBSA officers, as you can see people are able to enter with no issues if you read the other thread. Also I think you are asking the wrong question, you are Exempt, you don't need the whole essential travel thing, ask them if you are exempt from travel restrictions since you got permit before March 18th.

Last edited:

GradStudent18

Nov 11, 2019
Phone agents are not CBSA officers, as you can see people are able to enter with no issues if you read the other thread. Also I think you are asking the wrong question, you are Exempt, you don't need the whole essential travel thing, ask them if you are exempt from travel restrictions since you got permit before March 18th.

Yes I see that some people are being allowed to enter. But it's entirely because they have lucked out & have got a nice CBSA officer, who allows them entry after asking questions like " why do you want to enter Canada when you can very well study online from home "...

There are also so many cases of people being denied boarding at the airport; especially from India from what I have heard. I don't have any proof but this is what is being said.

Plus India has still not resumed scheduled international flights through other airlines - only Air India is operating now and that too evacuation flights.

But students have to pay nearly 4 lakh INR for a ticket and then finally they are denied boarding into the flight by saying that CBSA agents over the phone / whatsapp denied them entry.

Yes all of us who got out permit approved before 18 th March are EXEMPT.

But being exempt is just 1 of the 4 conditions to be able to travel. ALL 4 need to be satisfied. The 4 conditions to travel are:

1. To be exempt ( permit approved before 18 march)

2. To Not have Covid symptoms

3. Have a quarantine plan for 14 days

4. To have an essential ( non discretionary ) reason to travel

This is given on IRCC website's main Covid page; I'm not saying this by myself.

GradStudent18

Nov 11, 2019
Yes I see that some people are being allowed to enter. But it's entirely because they have lucked out & have got a nice CBSA officer, who allows them entry after asking questions like " why do you want to enter Canada when you can very well study online from home "...

There are also so many cases of people being denied boarding at the airport; especially from India from what I have heard. I don't have any proof but this is what is being said.

Plus India has still not resumed scheduled international flights through other airlines - only Air India is operating now and that too evacuation flights.

But students have to pay nearly 4 lakh INR for a ticket and then finally they are denied boarding into the flight by saying that CBSA agents over the phone / whatsapp denied them entry.

Yes all of us who got out permit approved before 18 th March are EXEMPT.

But being exempt is just 1 of the 4 conditions to be able to travel. ALL 4 need to be satisfied. The 4 conditions to travel are:

1. To be exempt ( permit approved before 18 march)

2. To Not have Covid symptoms

3. Have a quarantine plan for 14 days

4. To have an essential ( non discretionary ) reason to travel

This is given on IRCC website's main Covid page; I'm not saying this by myself.

And it's this 4th point about " essential " travel that's causing confusion. My University's international student office as well as CBSA - both are saying that " online classes is non-essential ".

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The whole point is to minimize the spread of covid. Less people that enter, the less covid gets brought into Canada. You are likely to save money if you remain at home.

Reactions: GradStudent18

GradStudent18

Nov 11, 2019
The whole point is to minimize the spread of covid. Less people that enter, the less covid gets brought into Canada. You are likely to save money if you remain at home.

Thank you for your reply and advice.

I totally understand that the aim is to reduce the risk of Covid exposure within the country, and that's honestly the fair and just thing to do as well. The Canadian government will and should primarily look after people there, and all else comes later.

But as an international student, clear wording along the lines of " students with online classes will not be allowed entry", will give much needed reassurance.

Otherwise, we're having to strongly assume that we won't be allowed entry based on the various indications we get from the IRCC website. Gives rise to ambiguity as to whether there may be a chance to travel/enter.

I hope later on, they don't penalise people for not travelling for fall 2020. Since deadlines to decide flight booking, housing, etc., are fast approaching, I thought if there could be some decisive notice saying we cannot enter.

I completely understand the current situation and will gladly start the program from home. I certainly don't expect them to just freely allow entry to students from outside.

But this lack of IRCC advice on the online classes-essential travel issue is just a little disturbing. That's all. But I guess it's better to start preparing to study af home for the fall...

Once again, thanks a lot for your reply.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you for your reply and advice.

I totally understand that the aim is to reduce the risk of Covid exposure within the country, and that's honestly the fair and just thing to do as well. The Canadian government will and should primarily look after people there, and all else comes later.

But as an international student, clear wording along the lines of " students with online classes will not be allowed entry", will give much needed reassurance.

Otherwise, we're having to strongly assume that we won't be allowed entry based on the various indications we get from the IRCC website. Gives rise to ambiguity as to whether there may be a chance to travel/enter.

I hope later on, they don't penalise people for not travelling for fall 2020. Since deadlines to decide flight booking, housing, etc., are fast approaching, I thought if there could be some decisive notice saying we cannot enter.

I completely understand the current situation and will gladly start the program from home. I certainly don't expect them to just freely allow entry to students from outside.

But this lack of IRCC advice on the online classes-essential travel issue is just a little disturbing. That's all. But I guess it's better to start preparing to study af home for the fall...

Once again, thanks a lot for your reply.
Agree there should be clear statements. With such a fluid situation things change daily. Assume the rise of cases over the past few weeks in south east Asia has increased the concern about students travelling. Given there is a large volume of students from that region many may end up arriving with covid. There is also the availability of flights that has to be considered. Hopefully a public statement will be sent to all international students.

Reactions: GradStudent18

GradStudent18

Nov 11, 2019
Agree there should be clear statements. With such a fluid situation things change daily. Assume the rise of cases over the past few weeks in south east Asia has increased the concern about students travelling. Given there is a large volume of students from that region many may end up arriving with covid. There is also the availability of flights that has to be considered. Hopefully a public statement will be sent to all international students.

Thanks again for your reply and advice. That's true - there's still the chance of a second wave of Covid, and no one wants an increase in the case count again due to foreign entrants.

I really hope IRCC issues an official, public statement about the non-essential nature of online classes, as soon as possible. Thank you again!

GradStudent18

Nov 11, 2019
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/coronavirus/temporary-residence/study-permit.html#toc_2

Update from IRCC - They did not explicitly state that online classes are essential or non-essential, but it leans towards the latter, unless there’s a really compelling reason to be physically in Canada

Thanks for posting the link here - so now, it's clear that students with online classes should start studying online from home for the fall term.

I hope they eventually change the 50% limit for PGWP eligibility. They may need to increase the limit till which we can study from abroad - if supposing the January term is also online and our travel is still non-essential at that point too.