+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Arrived today for fall, study permit issued, online classes

AffanMustafa

Star Member
Dec 11, 2019
For the quarantine/isolation plan - did you state this verbally or did you have a letter from your friend saying that you will do the quarantine at his place?

About Emirates, did they require a Medical Certificate (Negative PCR results) for the flight?

Thank you.
No letter, verbally. Yes negative PCR was mandatory for my country if entering UAE.

AffanMustafa

Star Member
Dec 11, 2019
Thanks. Flight for late July was cancelled so I’ll need to rebook, but I’ll put it on hold for now until IRCC/CBSA issues clearer guidelines.
What clearer guidelines you are looking forward to. It is written very simply that who were approved before march 18, 2020 are allowed to arrive. What more are you looking forward to?

Mojito5

Dec 19, 2019
What clearer guidelines you are looking forward to. It is written very simply that who were approved before march 18, 2020 are allowed to arrive. What more are you looking forward to?
We just had an orientation with the school today and they CLEARLY stated that letting people in the border is subject to several factors and is on a case to case basis - it’s NOT merely just having a visa approved before March 18. If you’re let in then congratulations, good for you. But NOT all people will experience this and it’s always upon the discretion of the Border Officer if they deem your purposes as essential. People can always go and fly but what I’m saying is that there is a PANDEMIC going on right now and the utmost purpose is to protect the vulnerable community. No need to be sarcastic as I’m just being very realistic based on advice from the immigration and the school.

GradStudent18

Nov 11, 2019
We just had an orientation with the school today and they CLEARLY stated that letting people in the border is subject to several factors and is on a case to case basis - it’s NOT merely just having a visa approved before March 18. If you’re let in then congratulations, good for you. But NOT all people will experience this and it’s always upon the discretion of the Border Officer if they deem your purposes as essential. People can always go and fly but what I’m saying is that there is a PANDEMIC going on right now and the utmost purpose is to protect the vulnerable community. No need to be sarcastic as I’m just being very realistic based on advice from the immigration and the school.

You are so right.

I got the same information from my University and its international office.

They say that online learning is NOT considered an essential reason for entry.

Plus I called CBSA many times - got the answer that online courses are NOT considered essential reason for entry.

IRCC website HAS NOT PUT UP THIS INFORMATION REGARDING ONLINE CLASSES BEING NON-ESSENTIAL - that's the problem.

Reactions: proceso and Mojito5

GradStudent18

Nov 11, 2019
Hello! Congrats on bring allowed to enter the country!

Could you please tell whether the college issued an Arrival support letter - saying that being there is compulsory etc?

What did the port of entry officers asked about the "essential reason to travel"...?

GradStudent18

Nov 11, 2019
Hello! Congrats on bring allowed to enter the country!

Could you please tell whether the college issued an Arrival support letter - saying that being there is compulsory etc?

What did the port of entry officers asked about the "essential reason to travel"...?

Will be very thankful if you could please answer these questions...

Aa it seems they ask students about what's the essential reason for them to travel as they say you can even attend online classes from home...so why come to canada at this time?

AffanMustafa

Star Member
Dec 11, 2019
Well, congratulations on the orientation but the university has nothing to do with CBSA or CIC first of all, university don't grant visas or entry, secondly if they have allowed entry before March 18, 2020 without any guideline then you can travel, it was always the discretion of CBSA to let a person in or not even before Pandemic, don't be anxious. CIC has stated in simple words before March 18, 2020 they didn't write any conditions etc and who they wrote it for? obviously for travellers, why'd they want someone to go through the inconvenience and why wouldn't they right clear information?

AffanMustafa

Star Member
Dec 11, 2019
The essential reason is even though you have online classes. If you are travelling from somewhere where timezone is opposite, then that is a essential reason bcs it'll be really inconvenient to take online classes in midnight or etc. Whether its essential or not But what CIC has said students who were approved before march 18, 2020 can arrive there are not any guideline given by CIC after that and that's what i know and need to know only before travelling. Boarders officers would only care what CIC says not university.

Yash1995

Apr 13, 2020
Hey congratulations Mate .. I too have applied for sept intake at seneca. Just waiting for my Visa.. bdw which course have you undertaken ?

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Have not heard of anybody exempt being denied entry, airlines may prevent you from boarding but that is a separate issue.

AffanMustafa

Star Member
Dec 11, 2019
Have not heard of anybody exempt being denied entry, airlines may prevent you from boarding but that is a separate issue.
Yes I was prevented boarding in one of the airlines, and then I booked for Emirates and they didn't prevent me from boarding. People are very scared which they shouldn't be.