+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CBSA and reprinting a study permit?????

Nollmm

Jul 18, 2015
Hello I am a second year UBC student attempting to get a job in Canada that I need a SIN for by, by August.

My study permit will not allow me to get a SIN because it says prohibited to work unless authorized however my study permit was issued in August, two months after the June update, which means it should NOT have been printed without working terms.

If I show up at the border in the airport, with all my documents, and ask CBSA to reprint my study permit with the correct lines of information will they? or will they say "thats not our department take it up with CIC"? It's there mistake so I'm wondering if I ask the officer super politely will they correct it?

kkloveit

Star Member
Jul 10, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Definitely weird. It's definitely worth a try, however I'm assuming you would be required to apply for a change of status kind of procedure.

Good luck!

Nollmm

Jul 18, 2015
ive been trying to do study permit amendments foreeeeeverrrr. They have declined it TWICE. On mistakes on CIC's side. Claiming I cant amend my study permit because I don't have a canadian mailing address despite the fact that the application has a space to put in your current mailing address, country, state, ect.

I don't want to have to apply a third time because I'm running out of time.

kkloveit

Star Member
Jul 10, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Why didn't you apply into the Coop program? UBC has one of the best Coop programs and the program comes with a Open Work Permit.

Nollmm

Jul 18, 2015
I'm not looking for a long term employment, I just have a job with Jumpstart Orientation (a month program) thats all I need a SIN for. But I'm having the WORST time trying to get one since my study permit is messed up. I don't know how to fix it in a short amount of time, thats why I thought maybe it would be quick to have CBSA print a new one at the border...but I'm not sure if they will...

kkloveit

Star Member
Jul 10, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You could try. Anything can happen. I've ready stories about a person getting his study permit extended just by talking to the VO at the airport. You may be able to arrange something with them, and it doesn't hurt to go visit them. Worse comes to worse you just wasted a trip so it's not too bad.

Best of luck.

Nollmm

Jul 18, 2015
What's a VO? And really!? Oh man...I'm hoping they will reprint it since it is their mistake,and an extension is a huge application and waiting period so my goodness if he could get around that I hope I can get around this amendment form...CIC keeps messing it up and they are going to cost me employment

kkloveit

Star Member
Jul 10, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VO=Visa Officer.

And yeah I feel you brother. The timeline for almost all applications are more than 80 days now. Freaking ridiculous.

Nollmm

Jul 18, 2015
do you think they would if I show up with just a copy of my study permit? We are pulling out all the stops and sending CIC a THIRD amendment application with a canadian address this time, so my original will be enclosed there. My second plan is to beg the VO to reprint my defective permit.