+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CBP 72 hour process

blal

Star Member
Jul 11, 2018
Hello,

I plan on driving my car from US to Canada. I got an AES ITN number from a brokker. I sent my VIN, ITN and planned date of border crossing date to US CBP email address of the port I will be crossing. I got am immediate and automatic reply as below. It has already been 72 hours and I did not receive anything else. Do they confirmation immediately after 72 hours?

Email content:

There is a new process (explained below) for exporting self-propelled vehicles from the United States.

Effective October 3, 2014 the U.S. Census Bureau (Census) mandated the filing of Electronic Export Information (EEI) through ACE(Automated Commercial Environment) and in order to file/receive an ITN number, exporters will need to set up an exporter account in the ACE Portal via https://ace.cbp.dhs.gov/acexpub/acexpub_Apps/ExporterAccountApplication/expForm.php.

These regulations apply to all used-self-propelled vehicles.

Internal Transaction Number (ITN) is required to be completed and submitted for all mandatory AES filings 72 hours prior to export. Ownership documentation (Title) for used self-propelled vehicles must be submitted to Customs at least 72 hours prior to export (DETROITVEHICLEEXPORT@CBP.DHS.GOV).

Required Items:

ITN number received through ACE

Email sent to CBP with VIN number and ITN number 72 hours in advance

If you have any questions please see the references below or call 313-964-7191

References:

Federal Register Notice 78 Federal Regulations 16366

Title 15 Code of Federal Regulations Part 30.2(a)(1)(iv)(H)

Title 15 Code of Federal Regulations Part 30.4(b)(5))

Title 19 Code of Federal Regulations Part 192.2(c)(2)(i)