+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CBC on citizenship backlog

Lei_F

Oct 3, 2013
They should just make RQ form part of the application package... save everyone's time and we would not worry about it anymore.

flybest1

Star Member
Jan 16, 2013
but his case did not get expedited because of the reporter/news. they said 35 months in total for him too.

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
RussCan said:
The guy's case is not too appealing nor representative. He needs his Canadian citizenship to spend more time in a third country. Though his right, I don't feel necessarily sympathetic. I think Eileen's case is more iconic: an American, intelligent, having strong ties with Canada, obviously not someone applying for a passport only - I think it's obsolutely ridiculous the way she has been treated by the CIC.
Kind of you to say.
And I have gone public, but I think it's important to acknowledge that there is no iconic RQ recipient. There are tens of thousands of us, and we're a diverse lot from Africa, Asia, North America, South America, Europe (haven't run into any Aussies yet).

Yes, when people meet me, most assume that I grew up somewhere in Ontario, so if my picture is in the paper, it undermines the perception that RQ-recipients are "foreigners" trying to exploit Canadian generosity. We live here. We're the friends, neighbours, family members, coworkers to Canadians. But it's important to have other voices and faces out there too, because we don't want to play into the idea that ones qualification for citizenship is about how "Canadian" we look to strangers who pass us on the street. The eligibility for citizenship is about meeting the qualifications as defined in the Citizenship Act.

farrous13

Oct 1, 2013
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I certainly don't know your situation Eileen. Have you encountered problems? Where did you go public with your situation?

eileenf said:
Kind of you to say.
And I have gone public, but I think it's important to acknowledge that there is no iconic RQ recipient. There are tens of thousands of us, and we're a diverse lot from Africa, Asia, North America, South America, Europe (haven't run into any Aussies yet).

Yes, when people meet me, most assume that I grew up somewhere in Ontario, so if my picture is in the paper, it undermines the perception that RQ-recipients are "foreigners" trying to exploit Canadian generosity. We live here. We're the friends, neighbours, family members, coworkers to Canadians. But it's important to have other voices and faces out there too, because we don't want to play into the idea that ones qualification for citizenship is about how "Canadian" we look to strangers who pass us on the street. The eligibility for citizenship is about meeting the qualifications as defined in the Citizenship Act.

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
farrous13 said:
I certainly don't know your situation Eileen. Have you encountered problems? Where did you go public with your situation?
I haven't encountered any more problems than any other RQ recipients. Actually I've had less challenges than many because my US passport is not challenging to travel with and my daughter and husband are both Canadian citizens, so I don't have to worry about them.

CJAD interview is here: http://residencequestionnaire.wordpress.com/2013/03/20/link-to-cjad-aaron-rand-interview/
Letter to Editor is here: http://www2.canada.com/montrealgazette/features/viewpoints/story.html?id=229242b3-9d7e-4165-ae7e-8486cc52d0bb

farrous13

Oct 1, 2013
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

ZYXWVU98

Star Member
Jul 20, 2012
they should create something like US did. for people who need to get citizenship in rush (for whatever reason), the applicants should be allowed to pay extra premium fees (1500 dollars) so that cic could hire enough staff to make a decision within eg. 15 business days after receiving all the necessary documents including RQ.

farrous13

Oct 1, 2013
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Why not? I just don't understand why the CIC can't find ways to speed up things. The shortage of CIC agents is not a reason.

Easy: receive application, approve it if it abides by the requirements, run some tests on the applicant (if required), then decide if RQ should be issued. otherwise just ask the applicant to go for the citizenship test and then the oath. It's not that complicated.

I just can't get my head around the situation.

ZYXWVU98 said:
they should create something like US did. for people who need to get citizenship in rush (for whatever reason), the applicants should be allowed to pay extra premium fees (1500 dollars) so that cic could hire enough staff to make a decision within eg. 15 business days after receiving all the necessary documents including RQ.

docrui

Apr 2, 2013
Well Everyone I have been here for 40 years also came here when I was 2 and still got a RQ its been 37 months so don't go by the CIC website .just waiting on oath everything else is done and yes I did pass .....

Dejaavu

Aug 17, 2013
my friend in the US who lives in the Washington DC area just got her citizenship application processed under 4 months. We applied at the same time June 2013...It is so pathetic that it takes 2 years plus here...

123sMike

Star Member
May 20, 2013
In us they dont harass you with RQ but here even if you provide cbsa and other countrues documents, it is still doubtfull that you will get citizenship! This is known as making a implicit fool of immigrats

Dejaavu

Aug 17, 2013
No not at all. Unfortunately this is specific to Canada...

in the US they know when someone exited the country cos airlines provide that information to CBP either by I 94 departure record form or US citizens have to fill out TSA forms upon leaving US